Not diabetic, probably not insulin resistant, just overweight :(

(Siobhan) #21

Yup, so assuming someone is very overweight (like me) and has about 65lbs of body fat thats 2112kcal per day from fat ALONE assuming I have access to all of my fat

Of course when you eat fat you have circulating energy, and when you dont have enough you start to rely on body fat.
But then what if you are say 120lbs at 22% bf? That us 26.74 lbs of fat or 872 calories a day IF you work down those fat stores. Thats not even half the amount of calories you need in a day!
Plus that is a woman’s healthy fat, you dont really want to go below that because it will mess with hormone levels.
So at a healthy weight it is important to get enough dietary fat to get by day to day, or it is the same as calorie restriction (worse if extra carbs are added).
And when fasting long term (over a day or two) you may find you need to supplement with fat to get through as bf alone might not be enough if you are at or near maintanence weight

Hopefully I am making sense!!!

Edit: Also by “assuming” I mean that high insulin levels restrict access to body fat as well, and calorie restriction and stress… it is complicated as a system

(Cathrine Helle) #22

Yes, you explain it very well, thank you :smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #23

You might find Richard’s calculator helpful

(Cathrine Helle) #24

Wow, thank you, this is awesome :grinning:

(Cathrine Helle) #25

I think I need to be much more mindful of this interaction of use of body fat vs eaten food, especially approaching normal weight. I see myself being between 25-30% body fat, and weighing between 55-60 kg. Being very short, anything over 58 kg is concidered overweight, although I don’t think the BMI charts are really applicable to everyone. Personally I would look famished in the lower end of normal weight (47 kg), as I have a body type that is more on the sturdy side.

When I had my major weight loss back in 2011, I did experience more hunger as I approached normal weight, but I think I would still have been ok if I had stuck to my WOE.

Currently I’m 65.7 kg (down another half a kilo today :slight_smile: ) so I’m not that far from goal weight range. Exciting times ahead :smile: