Not as many Ketones

(DARREN) #1

Hi,

I have ben on Keto 5 months now. I started seeing Ketones in my Urine via Pee strips afyer 4 days. For the following 2 months I would bein the the High ketone bracket showing a strong Burgundy colour everyday. I have been just as strict with my Diet as I was back at the start, but I stopped buying the testing strips. I purchased a new packet 2 days ago, and I notice I am barely getting a “trace” of colour on the strips now.

Does my body start making less ketones the further into the Ketone lifestyle I get?

I have lost 10kg on it so far, along with training

(bulkbiker) #2

No it simply stops wasting them so you stop peeing them out and use them instead.
This is why the pee strips become a bit useless after you have been in ketosis for a while for most people.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

A lot of people discover what you did about the urine strips and panic, but it’s a normal phenomenon. Not only do the kidneys get better at filtering ketones out of the urine and putting them back in the bloodstream, but I suspect that once the muscles re-adapt to metabolising fatty acids, the liver adjusts production to match demand more closely. (The muscles actually prefer fatty acids to ketones, except for the heart muscle which really likes β-hydroxybutyrate.)

(Allie) #4

It’s been a while since I’ve posted this link…

(DARREN) #5

Thanks Guys, You’ve settled my mind. I wasn’t really worried, just curious as why I didn’t see such high readings. But this answers it.

I knew I was still in Ketosis as I can very easily go a full day without getting hunger pangs. I can also do a workout in fasted state and feel like I beast it…

(Susan) #6

This is great, congrats =). I have not used any of the strips ever and have been doing Keto since February.