No more cheese, sigh

(Pete A) #4

It could work with smaller portions (you didnt say how much or what kind you’re eating.)

I wouldnt be convinced you cant have any if you like it that much!

(Liz Ellen) #5

I’ve found as little as half an ounce can hurt me. :frowning:

Not trying to be dramatic here, but it’s just strange to me because I’ve pretty much thought I had an iron stomach my entire life.

I have not experimented to see if I can take hard cheese verses soft; cow verses goat, etc.

(Liz Ellen) #6

So strange that just sour cream would hit you. What about yogurt? Also, are you worried about not getting enough calcium for your bones?

I normally stay away from most cheeses and eat selectively more out of enjoyment than for nutritional need. There was a period of time where I ate too much while on the keto journey and also a period where I completely didn’t eat it at all. I found these two extremes too …well, extreme.

I recently discovered dry cottage cheese in the cheese section and have been absolutely tickled by what I can use it mixed with (usually tapenade or some antipasto). It’s my latest “thing”. So damn delicious.

My husband is a chef and so our fridge is usually stocked with some kind of black truffle cheese or exotic cheeses which he has access to wholesale from the industry. We love having this over baked vegetables (just a light sprinkling).

I paid the price for an overzealous portion of dry cottage cheese in a meal yesterday and found myself on the toilet for an inordinate period of time. Such is life. I sure enjoyed it though!

(MelissaH) #8

What’s interesting is before eliminating dairy and then introducing certain things I never had a problem with dairy. I don’t eat yogurt. I’m slowly learning about eating keto and balancing hormones at the same time. I get plenty of calcium from food.

(Charlotte) #9

Cheese is life :heart:. I’m obsessed. I love going to the gourmet cheese store and trying all different kinds in my recipes. I’m on a goat cheese kick right now. I agree with trying a different cheese though. I would try brie, camembert, or cheshire and see how it goes.

(Pete A) #10

After my heart!

Sharp cheddar, cream cheese, blue cheese everyday (blue is my condiment for meat). Romano, asiago on occasion. LOVE!

I hope to original poster you thoughtfully consider before giving up…

(Charlotte) #11

I tried the most amazing goat cheese on my steak one night and I was a puddle of drool. It was so unbelieveably delicious…
Cypress Grove Sgt Pepper - goat cheese blended with chilies, curry, and harissa. It is the perfect blend of tang and spice… if you like spice.

(Carl Keller) #12

I’ve been drinking unsweetend Silk Almond Milk because I like it and because it has a pretty good amount of calcium in it:

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #13

Sorry about you losing the cheese. It has become a central part of my Keto diet. It has always been my favorite food, since I was knee high to a grasshopper.

I would check out lactose content of different types like sheep and goat.

(Daisy) #15

Hi Ellen, I understand completely what you’re going through. Around 8-10 years ago, I became intolerant to milk and ice cream. I could still do yogurt and cheese. Then yogurt started bothering me more and more and now there are very few cheeses I can eat. I can eat sharp cheddar cheese and butter, but the last couple weeks even those have started bothering me. I am planning to mostly avoid dairy for the next month, though I want to eat a little bit once a week or so to keep it in my system. I’m so afraid that if I cut it out completely, my body will reject it altogether.

Most people who are lactose intolerant can do things like yogurt, butter and hard cheese. If you can still do hwc, that’s good. I can’t at all! Experiment on yourself and see what you can tolerate.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

I suppose it could happen, but it’s more likely you’ve discovered you have a sensitivity to casein, milk protein, that you weren’t aware of before, because so many other symptoms were competing for your attention.

Either way, though, it’s definitely a bummer! You have my deepest sympathy. :cry:

I suppose a rousing rendition of “What a Friend We Have in Cheeses” wouldn’t go over very well right now? :grin:

(Bunny) #17

No more cheese :scream: But we luv cheese! :cheese:

What’s in your cheese?

(Bunny) #18

I like the sourness of goat cheese! Mmmm!

And spicy chili’s too!

(Liz Ellen) #19

Dry cottage cheese. Yes, please.

(Liz Ellen) #20

Thanks for your note! I am definitely reluctant to quit cheese entirely, lest my body completely forget how to digest it. I’ve heard that doctors treat shellfish allergies by having their patients eat tiny amounts regularly and slowly increase. That’s my plan for now. This isn’t the end of the world, but I am pretty bummed.

(Daisy) #21

That’s how it happened for me. One day I could eat ice cream, the next… horrible, awful pain. Never went away, only has gotten progressively worse over the last 10 years.

(Doug) #22

:smile:

Wow, LizEllen - but you know what is best for you. I’ve heard of people desensitizing themselves to poison ivy and the like that way - eating a tiny piece of leaf one day, a little more a couple days later…

I’m not sure why you’ve said you can’t tolerate cheese. Some sort of allergy or ?

Besides - all cheeses ain’t cheeses. They have different levels of lactose. Maybe try different ones?

Maybe the last batch you had wasn’t as fresh as you thought? Could’ve just been off? Or something else you had along with the cheese?

It may not be lactose at all. It could be a leaky gut, which can occur for many reasons, for example due to eating wheat or other chemicals they use in food. Then if/when food particles get into your blood your body can develop antibodies against it. People have then had to lay off that food for a while (1 or 2 years, not forever).

I don’t think it’s as black and white as - hey I’m never eating cheese ever again.

(Allie) #24

Depends on the type of cheese for me. Mature cheddar types cause me issues but I’m fine with mild types and also fine with yoghurts, cream and cream cheese.