No longer feeling Euphoria on Keto

(mole person) #21

I should add: The ‘hangover’ doesn’t last longer even if I continue to eat carbohydrates. It’s like a shiftover from ketosis to glucose metabolism. The euphoria will obviously stay gone but I do get over the terrible feeling after a couple of days.

(Carl Keller) #22

That’s awesome. :slight_smile: But aren’t you still losing weight? I thought I noticed you saying that you were since going full carni. If that’s the case, you can call it maintenance but your body fat continues to dwindle… so is it really maintenance?

Sounds like you have a great understanding of your relationship with nutrients. I can’t help but think of Dr. Ken Berry and his belief that a person’s DNA can play a huge role in why some people thrive on fat and protein alone.

(mole person) #23

My absolute lows are still dropping but so slowly that I can’t imagine it’s having an effect. My total absolute loss over the last 5 months is exactly 4 pounds. Also, I pretty much spend as much time with my weight going up as going down and yet the euphoria remains. Today I’m two pounds above my low and have been so for about a week.

Could be part of it. Same with fasting… you get a rush of energy. But I also think the ketones themselves are doing something in the brain that alters mood and you do just get used to feeling great all the time.

Try a high MCT meal and see if that loving feeling comes back?

(Bunny) #25

I notice this euphoria when I drink a MCT/BHB bulletproof coffee on top of being in ketosis and it’s not just the caffeine but a combination of adrenaline, norepinephrine, caffeine and immense energy produced by BHB; primordial flight or fight hunting/prey type of euphoria (quick to anger, yet happy and ecstatic), you might not otherwise have the strength or energy to kill any prey if your in a fed state so you need more serotonin and endorphins (euphoria) to help cope with the lack of food and stress of environment; some-times I notice I’m dizzy when I go from sitting or laying down to standing up or no motivation to do so (norepinephrine adrenal fatigue; Postural Orthostatic Trachardia Syndrome; meaning your in danger of becoming prey, hence dinner for something from not eating/lack of food?) and that is the HPA-axis feedback loops reacting from restricting calories for too long, so that is good indication I need more calories from mostly fat and then moderate protein and more carbohydrates combined periodically to be in a well-fed state while adapting to not eating so much food within close approximate times.

References:

[1] ”…A healthy liver minimises the acetone lost via the lungs by converting most of the acetoacetate it produces to a more stable substance, called beta-hydroxybutyrate or BHB. And this is where those euphoric feelings could come from. …” …More