No! Grass fed is NOT a keto rule

(Marc) #22

By saying that grass-fed is better than grain-fed and pointing out why is not disrespecting their choice. It is only pointing out why grass-fed may be better, and why somebody may chose to eat that way.

I respect the choice of my diabetic in-laws to live as they do; that is paramount.

Pardon me, @valdivia.marc, but what does your Diabetic In-laws have to do with grass fed meat?

Help me understand the connection between grass fed meat and diabetes.

(Marc) #24

I point out that eating low-carb is healthier than eating high carb by sending them articles and telling them why eating low carb is better (Donā€™t worry Fiorella, I only do it every couple of years). They look at me as clueless and harming myself.

I try to point out why grass-fed meat is better than grain-fed by citing articles.

Iā€™m not saying one should eat grass-fed all the time. I canā€™t afford to eat grass-fed, pastured eggs, etc all the time. I get it when I can. I think, however, that it is better for me. Also, I think the quality of produce is a point worth raising. If I could afford to eat that way all the time, I would.

YES! Eating organic, grass fed, etc. is great but it is (unfortunately) a luxury many can NOT afford. It irks me to see people say you must eat grass fed this and massaged with fine oils by nubile virgins that (OK made that bit up!). Great if you can but KCKO if you canā€™t. Keto is NOT elitist.

(Meeping up the Science!) #26

You can supplement many of the things grain-fed cattle has. Of course, Iā€™d argue itā€™s best to buy better quality food whenever possible regardless of what way you eat, keto or not, as food quality has a huge impact on health.

That said, from a purely biochemical perspective, while the Omega 3 profile in grass-fed beef is better to regular beef (the main benefit health wise, though there are others) that can be supplemented. Most deficiencies in nutrition can be supplemented, which is why rarely are there people who are iodine deficient, have scurvy, or beriberi in modern America. And yes, itā€™s always better to get it from food, however, that begs the question:

Is it ideal to supplement versus naturally ingest? Ehhh. You can throw science back and forth on that for a while.

In the end macronutrient choice matters the most. If you can eat high quality food, go for it, however what macronutrients you consume are far more vital for overall health. The rest is optimizing. Thatā€™s not bad, certainly, and if I made more money I would absolutely eat all grass-fed all the time. However, whether or not it actually adds years to your life is another question, entirely, and one we are unable to answer as we have no data. We can only make inferences from existing data sets about related issues.

Yeah, I completely understand. Learning how to deliver the message in simple ways is tricky.

But, give yourself a pat on the backā€¦as you do take care of yourself. Bravo! So, be happy in the wonderful gift of health you give yourself each day. :smiley:

Keep calm and keto on!

(Marc) #28

Keep calm and keto on!

Agreed!

(Luke Jeffery) #29

Here here!!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #31

Letā€™s try to avoid casting aspersions on entire groups of people, please. Thatā€™s not what the forums are intended for, and whether or not we agree with all of the tenets of the Paleo lifestyle, itā€™s not necessary to refer to it as a cult. Iā€™m sure there are plenty who might view keto as a cult for what thatā€™s worth.

Itā€™s totally fine if you disagree with recommendations related to Paleoā€¦but address the ideas you disagree with, rather than the people who follow them.

(Ashley Haddock) #33

I couldnā€™t agree more with this post. I love Kerrygold when I can afford it, but I canā€™t afford it all the time. Iā€™m an avid Walmart shopper and I get things at Samā€™s Club (hello 3 lb bag of Bobā€™s almond flour for $12). Iā€™ve lost 125 lbs eating food mostly from Walmart and I can say Iā€™m in much better health than I was 14 months ago. Yes Iā€™d love to buy grass-fed all the time, but itā€™s just not possible right now. Iā€™m doing the best I can for me and my family and I think thatā€™s all anyone should be expected to do.

(gooeykablooey) #34

Me too lol. I bought seven boxes and ran out mid February. Thankfully my husband agrees itā€™s superior and fully supports continuing to buy it (to the point he automatically bought it over cheaper butter yesterday when he did the grocery shop alone because I was home with two sick kids and norovirus)

(Steve Stephenson) #35

How do you supplement the removal of Omega-6 fats?

(Luke Jeffery) #36

You donā€™t. You supplement lack of omega-3 fats. We get way more omega -6 fats than is natural anyway.

(Steve Stephenson) #37

We get TOO much omega-6 eating regular beef.

(Amber) #38

Thank you!!! This was something I needed to hear when I first started. I was on a pretty strict budget and I kept being told that the foods I was choosing would do no good and that I may as well eat the carbs. NO. I feel fine eating the cheaper meats. I will now buy grass fed and at farmerā€™s markets as possible but I think discourage someone from doing keto because they canā€™t be fancy is just sad.

(Kathleen Lupole) #39

I loved reading this thread! Starting out on keto, just about every book I read or cookbook I used would always put that grass fed phrase or organic in front of each ingredient. It is discouraging when you just cannot afford that food. I have always grown a lot of vegetables but in the winter, we buy from Walmart and a few other stores around here. I started buying organic salad and kale from Walmart for my house rabbit so that is what we eat too. I felt good about that, but the bacon, sausage and different meats is not grass fed that I know of. I kept thinking I would not do well on keto due to that reason, but I seem to be fine. So I will just buy as I can afford it and keto on.

I buy mostly from Wal-Mart, although Iā€™ve found something called Zaycon Fresh that is supposed to be ā€œfarm freshā€ meats in bulk. Something to check into.

Pros: Higher quality than Wal-Mart. Cheaper than Wal-Mart.
Cons: Must buy in advance and in bulk. Must pick up from a refrigerated truck on a certain day/set location. Limited areas, but I think itā€™s growing.

I have only bought chicken and 80-20 ground beef so far. Everything Iā€™ve tried so far is fantastic. Recently picked up 80 pounds of ground beef and love having it on hand in the freezer. Chicken is my next pick up. (Bought in June, pickup is in September.)

If anyone is truly interested, the best thing to do is to sign up and watch for e-mails notifiying you of discounts. Right now there is 22% off ground beef, through the 26th I believe.

(I believe the discount also applies to the 10 pound rolls/a little cheaper. A lot of work to repackage on the days I pick up, but still worth it. Looking forward to the 1pound packages though!)

PS I donā€™t work for them! lol Just sharing info if youā€™re interested.

I donā€™t think anyone mentioned the antibiotic/hormone issue here, so Iā€™ll chime in.

As an initial matter, I eat roughly 25% of my meat as grass-fed, and the rest as a supermarket grain fed variety. This is due to cost and because Iā€™m really trying to avoid being as orthorexic as I can be if I donā€™t pay attention to that.

Second, whenever I can, I choose grassfed beef for my fatty cuts of meat. If I go grain fed/conventional, I go as lean as I can and avoid eating gobs of that type of fat. This is due to the storage profiles of antibiotics/hormones in conventional beef fat stores. So, thatā€™s the deal I made with myself and it works for me.

That all being said, I try not to sweat the difference too much, as a grain fed Walmart steak is much better than a locally sourced and pastured chocolate chip muffin from the farmerā€™s market. :grin:

As @Fiorella aptly put it above, I donā€™t let the perfect or dogmatic be the enemy of the good or ā€œbest choice available to me at this moment in my [day/life/budget/social setting].ā€

(Todd Allen) #42

I eat local grass fed animal products and I spend less than buying industrial agriculture CAFO steaks at walmart or costco.

Hereā€™s an example, beef cap fat for $2.50/lb
https://sevensons.net/store/product/beef-cap-fat

We also buy a lot of grass fed organ meats which are very reasonably priced too, such as beef liver that is $1.99/lb when bought in 15 lb boxes.

Excellent point, @brownfat!

Comparing local/pastured and grassfed steaks to CAFO/conventional steaks is unfair, so your post is a great reminder for us to consider expanding our palate and tastes to organs, marrow, and offal. Then, with that mindshift, local and pastured can be really inexpensive and yummy.

Iā€™m glad this is the case because local rib eye is $19/lb here. :flushed: