No flu?

So my husband and I have been keto for about 2 weeks now. I’ve been tracking mainly so I can figure out macros of various foods. Some days we’ve been a bit over 20g in carbs, but still under 50g as we figure out this new way of eating, but we’re pretty darn close most days. We were previously paleo and are still using paleo guidelines (no dairy, no artificial sweeteners, etc.). We haven’t hit a flu. He says he feels great since doing this. Has anyone else gone from paleo or some other form of moderate carb or lowish carb to keto and not really experienced a flu? Not that I’m complaining, but I was preparing myself for it and so far it hasn’t hit!

(Jacquie) #2

I went from Whole30 (previously lc since the mid-90’s, paleo and primal) to keto over 2.5 years ago without a problem. I started keto dairy-free and no artificial sweeteners for a year. Kept waiting for keto flu but nothing happened. I’m careful about electrolytes, making sure I take magnesium, use lots of salt and eat potassium rich foods.

Well awesome! Definitely not complaining about lack of flu! Now I can stop bracing for it :slight_smile: I also take magnesium and I salt EVERYTHING!

(Jacquie) #4

Excellent! :slight_smile:

(Julie Crowell) #5

I went from a SAD diet to Keto and was sooo lucky to bypass the flu. I remember having fatigue about the 3rd day and then that was gone. I can only guess it was my body’s way of saying thank you.

(Tom) #6

I’ve found that as long as I front-load my electrolytes, the most I get is a sugar headache in the first couple of days or so.

Wow @Fortuknitone that was super lucky!

(Guardian of the bacon) #8

Wife and I have been low processed foods for years. We then started following Abel James Jan 2016. By April we transitioned to keto. We never had Carb withdrawal symptoms (what keto flu should really be called)

(Larry Lustig) #9

Don’t believe I got the flu and I was not low carb before starting keto. But I think I took a month or more to get fully on board.

The main thing I’ve noticed when transitioning is being a little lower energy when exercising. Upping sodium is key if you do experience any keto flu symptoms.

I didn’t get the flu either. I’ve never been a processed food eater, and love to cook. My problem with weight gain was listening to the “healthy whole grain” and “low fat” stupidity. So, all I had to do was omit rice, bread, flour, etc. My body didn’t rebel perhaps because it recognized most of the foods I ate when I omitted the carby stuff? I dunno.

I went from a diet high in carbs and sugar - lots of packaged and processed food as I didn’t like (or know how) to cook. No flu. At all.

I was exhausted on the first day and so went to bed and promptly fell asleep 5 hours earlier than usual, but that was it. No other symptoms at all.

However, I suspect that I was feeling so crappy beforehand, and that it was such a relief to my body that I stopped making it process carbs, that I couldn’t possibly have felt any worse than I did before changing to a Keto diet.

(Richard Morris) #13

I did get the flu because I was coming from being clinically hypertensive and was still paranoid about salt.

Going LCHF in general I found that illnesses generally passed me by when they hit my family or at least I only felt “off”, but going ketogenic I find that they pass by more than before.

(softail925) #15

I never really experienced a keto flu either…Ive been keto for almost 3 months and down 15 pounds Its an awesome Woe!

(Jessica) #16

Same, good to know that this can also be the case.

I did weight watchers before, so lots of fruit and whole grains. So I was not prepaired for fatty food, but hey… won’t complain. I’m 7 weeks in so I think no flu for me.

(Mike W.) #17

Salt is definitely key. I still feel weird eating so much salt.