No Egg, Fathead pizza crust is it possible?

(Peter Senarighi) #1

Has anyone made Fathead crust without the egg? If so how does it turn out?

I have a friend who’s grandchild is allergic to eggs but she wants to start Keto and also include the grandkids on healthy recognizable options when they visit.

Having made it only made fathead crust with the egg I figured it would make the crust a little less fluffy.

I cannot remember which podcast I heard it from, but recall someone saying they omit the egg.

Try it…see what happens.

(David) #3

Yes, I heard @carl say he had done just that on an episode I heard this morning. Try either “Keto on a budget”, “Epic Successes”, or maybe “Cooking”.

AKA, Carlshead pizza

(Guardian of the bacon) #5

http://carlfranklin.net/blog/2016/7/31/carlshead-pizza-my-riff-on-our-beloved-keto-friendly-fat-hea.html

(Scott Shillady) #6

That’s the difference between carlshead and fathead. I find the crust cripier, and easier to make as it eliminates a step. I did it by accident the first time i tried it, added egg on 2nd attempt, and like the first attempt better

http://www.stillathomemom.com/quick-easy-low-carb-skillet-pizza/

What about something like this? I’ve been meaning to try it!

(Kyle Buttress) #8

I’ve done this a few times… sometimes I forget the egg.

tastes great on occasion I add butter or olive oil into it as well…

experiment you’ll find something that works best for you.

(Pete Shearer) #9

I have made several variations on the Fathead pizza. Originally, I used coconut flour in place of almond flour because it is way cheaper (usually around 1/3 the price at WalMart). The trick is that you have to use less flour and add some olive oil. How much is some? I don’t know. I turn the bottle over and pour for about 1.5-2 seconds.

The last three “Fathead” crusts that I made were the following:

1.75 cups of mozzarella cheese
0.25 cups of coconut flour
“some” olive oil
“some” pizza seasoning

That’s it. No egg, no cream cheese.

I get the cheese melty and gooey in the microwave by heating it in a plastic bowl for around a minute. Then, I stir it up and melt it again for about 20-30 more seconds and stir again. Then, I add the flour, oil, and seasoning and get it good and mixed with my hands.

(The rest of this is pretty standard Fathead stuff)
After that, I throw it between 2 pieces of parchment paper and roll it out to a fairly thin crust. I poke it with a fork a bunch of times to try to keep it from bubbling up too badly. I bake it for around 8 minutes at 450 (watching to see if I need to reach in and pop dough bubbles with the fork) and then take it out and turn it over. Then, I top it and put it back in for another 6-8 minutes.

I think it is great. My wife prefers the almond flour version, but for coconut flour, she said she actually likes the version without cream cheese and egg better.

(Peter Senarighi) #10

I kind of figured that it would be make it thinner and a bit crispier. I’m gonna some Carls head pizza later this week.

thanks everyone!

(Adriana) #11

Hi! I know this thread is kind of old but I was looking on the forum for a pizza crust made with coconut flour and found your recipe, I’m curious, does the crust ends up crispy or soft? Thanks!

(Pete Shearer) #12

Hey @Adriana, it totally depends on how long you cook it. It never gets “crackery-crisp”, no matter how long you cook it. It also doesn’t get “light and fluffy”, either. I bake mine until it forms a little bit of a tough outer shell. Even then, it is probably the consistency of if you put softer, thicker pita bread (not the flat hard ones) in the toaster oven for a few minutes. Hope that helps, I’m not much of a food describer.

(Adriana) #13

I just made it!

This is a great recipe: minimalist, easy to make, adaptable and delicious!

Used Chihuahua cheese instead of Mozarella on the dough because is what I have available, cheaper, with more fat and is near zero carbs; used mozarella for melting on top.

The rest I made as described and the crust is great! My non keto roommates had a bite and loved it too, they told me they’ll buy the ingredients if I make them more.

Thanks for sharing, I’m sure I’ll be making this again :grin: