Nitrates and nitrites. Pure myth

(Mac Andrews) #22

"There is much confusion about what “processed meat” actually means, a confusion encouraged by the bacon industry, which benefits from us thinking there is no difference between a freshly minced lamb kofta and a pizza smothered in nitrate-cured pepperoni. Technically, processed meat means pork or beef that has been salted and cured, with or without smoking. A fresh pound of beef mince isn’t processed. A hard stick of cured salami is.

The health risk of bacon is largely to do with two food additives: potassium nitrate (also known as saltpetre) and sodium nitrite. It is these that give salamis, bacons and cooked hams their alluring pink colour. Saltpetre – sometimes called sal prunella – has been used in some recipes for salted meats since ancient times. As Jane Grigson explains in Charcuterie and French Pork Cookery, saltpetre was traditionally used when brining hams to give them “an attractive rosy appearance when otherwise it would be a murky greyish brown”.

In earlier centuries, bacon-makers who used saltpetre did not understand that it converts to nitrite as the meat cures. It is this nitrite that allows the bacteria responsible for cured flavour to emerge quicker, by inhibiting the growth of other bacteria. But in the early 20th century, the meat industry found that the production of cured meats could be streamlined by adding sodium nitrite to the pork in pure form. In trade journals of the 1960s, the firms who sold nitrite powders to ham-makers spoke quite openly about how the main advantage was to increase profit margins by speeding up production. One French brand of sodium nitrite from the 60s was called Vitorose or “quick-pink”.

Nitro-chemicals have been less of a boon to consumers. In and of themselves, these chemicals are not carcinogenic. After all, nitrate is naturally present in many green vegetables, including celery and spinach, something that bacon manufacturers often jubilantly point out. As one British bacon-maker told me, “There’s nitrate in lettuce and no one is telling us not to eat that!”

But something different happens when nitrates are used in meat processing. When nitrates interact with certain components in red meat (haem iron, amines and amides), they form N-nitroso compounds, which cause cancer. The best known of these compounds is nitrosamine. This, as Guillaume Coudray explained to me in an email, is known to be “carcinogenic even at a very low dose”. Any time someone eats bacon, ham or other processed meat, their gut receives a dose of nitrosamines, which damage the cells in the lining of the bowel, and can lead to cancer." Bee Wilson (2018) https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/01/bacon-cancer-processed-meats-nitrates-nitrites-sausages

(Karen) #23

Fantastic article. Helpful

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #24

I’m still going to eat Meats cured with nitrates and nitrites. I’m not convinced. But right now? I don’t care to be. I’ve done enough of my research. I’m comfortable with my decision at the moment. However, I may stop eating celery…

(Chris) #25

Here you go again threatening me with a good time…

(Bob M) #26

As soon as you say something “causes cancer”, I have to ask how that is known. It’s very tricky.

Here’s a study, for instance, where they actually examined urinary levels of N-Nitroso Compounds in real humans

The results? “Compared with controls, gastric cancer patients had overall comparable levels of urinary nitrate, nitrite, and N-nitroso compounds.” OMG!!! The people who actually had cancer had the same amount of compounds as those without cancer. Wait, what?

(Mac Andrews) #27

You reply cites a study into Gastric cancer not Colorectal cancer. Not everyone who eats processed meat will get bowel cancer, nor is every case of bowel cancer causally related to the eating of processed meat. There will be multiple factors to be considered that may consider to create the conditions out of which cancer is triggered. We are living with many risks in many ways. If you want to decrease those risks that you can most easily influence then there are ways to do that. To quote Bee Wilson (2018) further: "Scientists have known nitrosamines are carcinogenic for a very long time. More than 60 years ago, in 1956, two British researchers called Peter Magee and John Barnes found that when rats were fed dimethyl nitrosamine, they developed malignant liver tumours. By the 1970s, animal studies showed that small, repeated doses of nitrosamines and nitrosamides – exactly the kind of regular dose a person might have when eating a daily breakfast of bacon – were found to cause tumours in many organs including the liver, stomach, oesophagus, intestines, bladder, brain, lungs and kidneys.

Just because something is a carcinogen in rats and other mammals does not mean it will cause cancer in humans, but as far back as 1976, cancer scientist William Lijinsky argued that “we must assume” that these N-nitroso compounds found in meats such as bacon were also “carcinogens for man”. In the years since, researchers have gathered a massive body of evidence to lend weight to that assumption. In 1994, to take just one paper among hundreds on nitrosamines and cancer, two American epidemiologists found that eating hotdogs one or more times a week was associated with higher rates of childhood brain cancer, particularly for children who also had few vitamins in their diets." https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/01/bacon-cancer-processed-meats-nitrates-nitrites-sausages

The risk is ours to take or minimise according to our will. It is important the information is available so that all of us can make our own fully informed choices. I respect everyone’s right to eat what they want to eat. Let’s not simply assume that the research is bogus because it disagrees with a favourite pleasure we may indulge. Making blanket statements about its safety is as irresponsible as exaggerating claims about its toxicity.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #28

I’m still going to eat my processed bacon.
:bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon:

(Bunny) #29

One more important thing to note:

“…It may surprise you to learn that the vast majority of nitrate/nitrite exposure comes not from food, but from endogenous sources within the body. (1) In fact, nitrites are produced by your own body in greater amounts than can be obtained from food, and salivary nitrite accounts for 70-90% of our total nitrite exposure. In other words, your spit contains far more nitrites than anything you could ever eat. :scream:

When it comes to food, vegetables are the primary source of nitrites. On average, about 93% of nitrites we get from food come from vegetables. It may shock you to learn that one serving of arugula, two servings of butter lettuce, and four servings of celery or beets all have more nitrite than 467 hot dogs. (2) And your own saliva has more nitrites than all of them! :scream: So before you eliminate cured meats from your diet, you might want to address your celery intake. And try not to swallow so frequently. …” …More

As Richard points out: “…Nitrate and Nitrite seem to be used interchangeably when referring to the meat curing process, but it’s sodium nitrite that inhibits you getting botulism from the meat you eat. …”

In other words NO sodium nitrite; the meat would flat out kill you dead (botulism)?

(Bunny) #30

As an observer of the research it is very apparent to me that it is not the carcinogenic causing compounds in the foods we eat that causes the cancer it is dietary deficiencies of glutathione and its precursor; dietary organic sulfur we get from the soil that are supposed to be in the plants and animals we eat but we can also salvage this from eating bone broth which these substances are vestiged; are still in animal bones and collagen. Glutathione is the MASTER anti-oxidant of all anti-oxidants including the human bodies main anti-oxidant and of all living creatures, so that tells me that it’s not the carcinogenic compounds we derive from the environment and foods that are the problem, it is the lack of these mysterious compounds called organic sulfur and glutathione (micro-nutritional defiencies) that have been leached from the surface layers of ground soil and replaced by chemical fertilizers or growing agriculture on it too many times; that is the core root of the problem?

Glutathione works in tandem with selenium[5] in the human physiochemistry and why Native Americans et al. used fish as fertilizer for agriculture!

Notes:

[1] Biochemical Studies On The Effect Of Sodium Nitrite And/Or Glutathione Treatment On Male Rats “…Conclusion: Due to the hazardous effect of food additives as sodium nitrite, it is recommended that the use of sodium nitrite as food additives must be limited and glutathione has the ability to prevent its toxic effect . …” …More

[2] 10 Natural Ways to Increase Your Glutathione Levels

[3] “…But something different happens when nitrates are used in meat processing. When nitrates interact with certain components in red meat (haem iron, amines and amides), they form N-nitroso compounds, which cause cancer. The best known of these compounds is nitrosamine. …” …More

[4] “…A balance of nitrate levels is maintained by this system.” Dr. MacDonald: “Nitrates are used primarily in the curing of meats to maintain the color of red meats and to block the growth of the deadly bacteria Clostridium botulinum that can thrive in oxygen-deprived environments such as occur in cured meats.” …” …More

[5] “…A common concern when choosing seafood is mercury. And for good reason: mercury binds up selenium, an essential mineral that’s vital to the developing brain and nervous system. But here’s the good news: eating ocean fish that contain more selenium than mercury protects against mercury toxicity. …” …More

[6] Glutathione, Methylation & Nutrition w/ Dr. Russell Jaffe

[7] Glutathione: The “mother” of all antioxidants… - Dr. Mark Hyman MD

(mole person) #31

This to me is the most relevant bit from Richard’s post that @atomicspacebunny linked above.

Even when talking about bowel cancer risk the evidence points only to a 1% difference in absolute risk, and this taken from an uncontrolled epidemiological study. In other words this can’t even be taken as a causal connection, and no statistician worth a grain of salt would take anything from it.

(Robert C) #32

I would not buy bacon on the basis that it is nitrate/nitrite free.

But, that could be an indicator that it is free of preservatives, artificial flavors and artificial hormones as well as not being too heavily processed - those are the things I care about.

(Mac Andrews) #33

That is really interesting Bunny - thank you for taking the time to post that. I will read it all and see what it means for me. On the bacon note, I have found nitrate free bacon and OMG it is the best tasting bacon I have ever tasted.