Nightly Hot Flashes

(Christina Seaman) #1

Hey guys,

I’m getting odd nightly hot flashes. My whole body starts to get hot to my neck, then my heart rate goes up, after i’ve sweated and get cold again. They come and go between the hours of 1 and 3 in the morning. I’m 29 years old so this cant be menopause or anything like that. I thought it was being triggered by hidden sugar or carbs but now it seems to be happening every night regardless. I thought that it was related to panic attacks but in general my entire chest feels hot all the time now and i have a higher heart rate. I also feel super anxious. I’m also loosing weight way to fast. I lost 5lbs the past two weeks after already having lost 40lbs. I actually went past my goal weight and I don’t really want to loose anymore weight. My BMR on my fitbit said it went from 1400 last month to 2200. I assume this is from the increased heart rate. I talked to my doctor and he is extremely confused, i got cleared of any heart conditions. I’m starting to feel crazy at this point.

(Carl Keller) #2

As for halting the weight loss, I would try to eat more good carbs like nuts, the least sugary fruits, more protein along with more fat. Perhaps this will also affect, in a positive manner, the hormones that are causing your night sweats.

I hope someone comes along to give you better advice about the hot flashes. Hang in there and try to remain calm.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #3

Are you on any other meds (like thyroid meds?). Are you getting proper amount of electrolytes and hydration? Have you had an overall blood panel tested to rule out illness in general (weight loss on top of weight loss, night sweats)?

(Jessica) #4

How long have you been getting the night sweats?

(Edith) #5

Maybe your blood sugar is dropping too low during the night causing a cortisol or adrenaline rush. Maybe you need to eat more or add in a few extra carbs at night to keep your blood sugar stable while you sleep.

There’s a difference between actual hot flashes and thermogenic night heat/sweats.

I’m a midlife (50+ years) female who’s had many phases of incredible thermogenesis on keto - but no actual hot flashes. I wrote some past posts here on the thermal subject.

Hot flashes are specific in their symptoms - overwhelming quick heat spikes that cause a sweating face and armpits, raised heartbeat/pulse, and face flush, and only last a minute or two (though some females suffer with dozens per day/night) and can occur throughout the day and night, and be combined (or not) with night sweats (which may last hours). You mentioned you’re getting heat up to your neck, which would indicate thermogenesis, not hot flashes? I’m pretty sure?

Thermogenic radiation usually occurs in the evening for me due to hormone levels at that time (reduced cortisol, for starters) - but I’ve read of others on this forum who have thermic heat during the day, maybe depending on age and sex. It is more frequent and obvious when one has a high intake of MCTs via coconut oil that fuels ketosis/brain function and isn’t metabolized and/or high levels of butyrate being produced in the gut. When I was having lots of thermogenesis, my intake of coconut was 2-4 tablespoons daily - and to this day, if I have a high coconut oil day, I’ll notice increased evening heat, but resistant starch without coconut oil doesn’t have the same effect.

You can still enjoy the benefits of enhanced keto brains/BDNF through feeding the good bacteria with resistant starch (refried white basmati is what I use, in addition to daily veg fiber), or, through eating one piece of high fiber fruit (apple, pear - which Dr. Lustig explains doesn’t get its fructose dumped into the bloodstream due to the fiber, and when it reaches the large intestine feeds the good bacteria, like how RS does). A meal of an apple with good nut butter or a bleu cheese dip or just with good cheese, can be an amazingly easy way to get a meal in.

Since you’ve been keto since last June or longer - you may well do better to increase your metabolic flexibility. “Keto” as the Atkins Inductions Phase of 20g carbs or less was never meant to be a permanent lifestyle for the non-diabetic, not only because it’s hard to sustain in this culture, but also because metabolic flex is health. Atkins Phase II is what everyone who wasn’t diabetic went on to - after a few months and being 100% fat adapted - I think it was 50-60g carbs.

Then there’s the LCHF/keto physicians Mary Dan Eades MD and Michael Eades MD in their classic book Protein Power aimed to help their patients stay on the ‘keto cusp’ after fat adapation - not ‘deep in ketosis’ - and their over 1000 patients who healed obesity and metabolic illness are great proof of that. After the first 2 weeks they moved folks up to around 60-75g total carbs and higher for maintenance.

Stephen Phinney MD & Jeff Volek PhD who are longtime low-carb advocates, advise that fat-adapted non-diabetics may do well at 75g carbs up to 100-150g a day - and maintain fat adapted physiology.

Definitely - if you’re feeling like the body recomp is too much/too fast, slow it down! Comfort yourself with more salt & magnesium for electrolytic power, more non-refined carbs as well as making sure you’re eating 2-3 low carb meals a day. Meal frequency calms cortisol (as does supplementation with adaptogenics like dry Ginger). If you’re dealing with high cortisol (from emotional/mental stress and also from intense weight lifting) you’ll find that more unrefined carbs or even a RS routine will be calming and stabilizing

(Laura) #8

Has your doctor ordered any tests to check you for hyperthyroidism? Your symptoms sound like your thyroid has become overactive.

Edited to add that another thought came to mind. I knew someone who developed overactive adrenals and she said the symptoms were rapid weight loss, increased heart rate and she couldn’t even get off the couch and walk across the room. She had to take medication to control it.

I hope you get to the bottom of it.

(Drmtj Johnson) #9

Thank you so much for such an illuminating commentary. My “hot flashing” is certainly thermogenic related, but when the body is momentarily dripping wet, one assumes it is something else. I also know I am not due diligent in my electrolytes consumption, but getting better. Again, thank you for the information. Hope it helps others on this journey.

You’re very welcome!

Yes, electrolytes are sooooo essential in low carb living - and can be so tasty - plentiful good salt of the high mineral kind (himalayan, utah real salt, etc) plus splashes of lemon juice or good vinegars, yum! I also take angstrom magnesium as magnesium is involved in some 18K bodily processes apparently. I took it almost daily my first year of LCHF/keto, Now I just take it as needed.

Here’s to good self-care and hormonal healing! :avocado::herb::ice_cream::muscle:t4:

(Christina Seaman) #11

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies.

Update: So, basically I’ve stumped my physicians. I got tons of blood work over the past three months from full metabolic panels, liver panels, estrogen, progesterone, and full thyroid panels. All the doctors, thought one of these would come back abnormal only to find everything in perfect ranges. Even my T3 was like .01 low, putting me more in the hypothyroid category vs hyper. One doctor was pretty convinced it was low estrogen to find perfect estrogen levels. They tested my FSH twice to see if i was pre-menopausal only to find it right for my age of 29.

The only link we could find for the hot flashes and some of my other odd symptoms was my nexplanon. i’ve been using it for 6 years and i had gotten one implanted again in September. The hot flashes started in December after my first period on the rod. I also started getting periods every two weeks one real lite…one very heavy. I’m pretty convinced this is the main cause and I got my nexplanon removed two weeks ago. However, i’m not sure how long its going to take for nexplanon to leave my system. I did have some hot flashes last night after being hot flash free for abit. I also get heart palpitations during the flashes.

I do think these actual hot flashes vs thermogenesis. I typically feel hot on the upper half of my body. Then, my armpits and chest/breast area start to get hot. This will happen before i get the spikes. Then, as the spikes occur its like 2 minutes of hot creeping out of the armpits/chest ares and rising up through the neck and sometimes face. Sometimes, i feel it in my legs others not.

I tend to stay away from coconut oil as it makes my ears get warm but thats very short lived and old happens for a minute or two.

@Lonesamurai30 did the night sweats stop for you?