Nightly feet cramps

(Inna Sterbet) #1

Good morning everyone. Have a quick question, anybody experiencing nightly feet cramps? Started recently, keeps me awake half of the night. Been on Keto for two and a half years and IF 16:8 every day for a year. Tried stretching before bedtime as I have a desk job and do drive a lot, though maybe due to lack of activity… Still no changes.

(Allie) #2

Electrolytes that’ll be.
Get a decent magnesium supplement to take before bed (soaking in a bath with Epsom salts is fabulous) and add more salt to your food.

(Inna Sterbet) #3

I’ve stopped taking any supplements a while back, just keep forgetting tbh, probably should go back. Thanks

(Bunny) #4

Try pickle juice

(Inna Sterbet) #5

I’m aiming to go lower than 10 g of carbs at the moment, the only liquid that fits the bill is probably water. I’m not dehydrated, I drink plenty of water and herbal teas during the day.

(Allie) #6

These will be further flushing out the electrolytes your body needs yes definitely get back to supplementing. Pickle juice is also said to be good for replenishing electrolytes but personally I think it tastes vile, much easier to salt food and throw epsom salts in my baths.

I only have it in the morning sometimes and it’s always magnesium deficiency for me as a single magnesium pill solves it. But it may be the other electrolytes. I have all 3 kind of low all the time and can’t do much about it. It is still fine if my eating is okay. I always had cramps on vegetarian keto without supplements and never when most of my days are carnivore with enough meat (when I still don’t eat much magnesium but my needs are seemingly lower?).
So solve it with supplements now and try to tweak your woe later if you don’t want to take them all the time.

Pickle juice was my big fav, tasted divine but I don’t know where people get it from especially without sugar (I can’t make it) and anyway, I always need magnesium and try to stay to close to carnivore so I rarely eat pickles.
If it’s just salt, it’s theoretically easy to eat. Not always, I can’t eat the recommended amount (I borderline did due to a salty food item and I developed some aversion to salt) but my body prefers a lower amount anyway. But if yours need more, it probably wouldn’t complain like mine did.

My mom said a friend of hers got a leg cramp in the car when they were coming back from shopping. The friend mentioned that pickle juice always helped her. They pulled into the drive-up at Popeye’s and asked for a glass of pickle juice with the chicken sandwich they ordered.

The leg cramp was gone before they got home. :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Homemade bone broth can be a good source of magnesium, if you simmer the bones for 24 hours or longer. Proper salt intake (2-3 U.S. teaspoons/day) helps the body retain magnesium and potassium, not to mention calcium.