Newbie wanting to Help Hubz!

(Kat Mac) #1

Howdy YALL!! New here, new to “keto” …new…new…new…I am NOT the one who is going to be trying this diet/lifestyle out…I changed my rating habits years ago, sort of…I took out eating anything WHITE (bread, rice, pasta etc.,) and it’s been a lifesaver…Hubz has over the years “dieted” (for lack of a better term) and seems to yo-yo weight wise… he’s back up to 212lbs, he’s 59yrs old, exercises waaay more than I do, and still can NOT lose that 15-20lbs he wants - and wants to KEEP OFF…I have seen lots of peeps doing this “diet” and doing well…my son and Dil are now on it and I can see a difference in both!! she’s lost all her “baby” weight!! (she was carrying the post baby weight, from the last two, and the last one was 3yrs ago… she’s looks AMAZING, as she looks to be back down to pre-baby weight, possibly, pre-Josh(my son!!):sweat_smile::sweat_smile: and my son (Josh) doesn’t have “dad” bod anymore!! hehehe…
seeing as I CAN see results from others, I would like to be able to present this to hubz, a man almost 60, with alternatives…as he said he’s tried it before, but had problems…made him feel “sick”…plus he’s afraid he’ll miss his “sweets”!!
If you all have ANY suggestions, PLEASE - send them on!! I really want to help him through this…(oh he’s not much of a bean eater…so menu planning is going to be a “challenge”!!:sweat_smile::rofl:)

(Carl Keller) #2

Howdy Kat Mac!

I love this approach. It eliminates a lot of starches and processed foods. The only thing white that I eat is heavy cream in my coffee, but not very much of it.

The problem with eat less, move more is that it slows a person’s metabolism so they will need fewer and fewer calories to meet their energy needs. Besides this making one feel like crap and constantly hungry, the weight always come back once the exercising is discontinued and they end up gaining weight on even less calories than before they began.

I’m as stubborn and habitual as they come but the fear of diabetes made me give LCHF a trial run and nine months later, I have no desire to go back. If your husband likes steak, ribs, chicken, bacon and butter then keto is not restrictive, it’s a reward. It took me all of ten days before I had no desire to eat sweets or all the other things that made me feel like crap. Losing all the inflammation that I associated with getting old is worth the price of admission alone. I literally feel 20 years younger and even then I had energy highs and lows but not any more.

Try to get him to try it for 30 days. I’m betting he won’t regret it.

(Susan) #3

Welcome to the forum, Kat Mac =).

I was a major sugar person before Keto. I went cold-turkey no sugar, and was grouchy for a few days, but if I got off it, your hubby can too!

He can eat a lot of meat (bacon, steaks, pork chops, roasts, chicken, etc, yummy real food).
We just have no sugar, keep carbs about 20 grams or less (which is no breads, rice, pasta, potatoes, and other things, you can find lists on net of what to avoid easily). Healthy fats (so use organic extra virgin olive oil, pure salted butter, organic coconut oil). He can have eggs daily, just no bread with them.

He will be full and be feeling healthier in no time. Good luck with getting him to try it out. You could do it with him as well, to make it easier on yourself for cooking meals for you both =).Even if you don’t need to reduce any weight, Keto is a healthy lifestyle =).

(Kat Mac) #4

THANK YOU!! for yalls replies so far… let’s preface this to say - i am NOT going to be joining him on the keto plan, unless he truly wants me to…i do allllot of outside work and need my caffeinated / sugary drinks (I weigh in at 125lbs - DO need to TONE that…am 54yrs old, 5’4"… lost a lot of weight when i started / stayed off allll the WHITE foods… when I working outside in the heat and “moving” daily lost more weight (weight i really couldn’t afford (my arse/hips etc…not "complaining, just can’t afford clothes for the new bod)…for as much as i don’t “exercise” i do still get a lot of “movement” out of my job…i am sure that if/when i can get back to my bookkeeping job (ha ha they don’t hire 54yr old bookkeeper’s anymore… we KNOW too much!! so, I’ll stick to my delivery work!! hehe)
anywho… hubz is a “remote” employee for a very large tech company …and works from home / computer…allot!! and well …the exercising comes in after he’s done with his day…3-4x a week… gym or riding his bike…

Ok, another issue is hubz has a diabetic father…hubz IS checked regularly and so far so good!! no signs!! he / we watch that carefully!! another reason why he is continuously worried about his weight and the things that could go with it… can’t say i don’t blame him…hubz diet is mostly meat… ground chicken/chicken breast / (that’s this week) he bbq’s his meat a few days at a time…and weighs each meal as well…still counts calories…also MAY have a small lettuce salad, with a tiny bit of low fat salad dressing; may have some ketchup with his chicken; all these thinga he COUNTS!! i have suggested he change up his “diet” seeing as how long he’s been eating this way, his body may have become acclimated to this…i feel introducing a whole NEW way of eating to his metabolism would (may/could) “shock” it, and help kick it back to losing the weight he wants…?? (thoughts???)

now…what i am REALLLLLLYYY looking for, is some guidance on where to locate a book, internet links, favorite lists of items you all purchase when shopping…?? that type of thing…(??) on how to get (him) started (re-started) on keto at 59 (almost 60)?? When we were talking / discussing about this (his dieting woes) earlier, he had mentioned he had done keto before (and i don’t remember in the 12-13yrs we’ve been together that he’s been on THIS diet…since we’ve been together he’s tried dieting /watching /counting calorie intake of some kind" with little to no (imo) success ) I just feel he’s not giving this (keto) a chance, since there’s more variety to it NOW, and more research has been done…i feel like there are even food products that could be purchased that could help?? I’m looking for assistance from the at/over 50 crowd…or if yall “youngsters” (said in a creeky/creepy ole lady voice (if’n ya need that!! hehehe) could chime in 'cuz ur parents or g-rents got on this…?? plz… anything that points me in a direction of an info path - would be AWESOME!! (and yesh - I use that word allot!!!)
I would ask my son and DiL, but it would be coming from someone who’s 32yrs old, but I really am trying to find info from peeps who have experience and success doing this - from MY age group’s perspective…where our weight doesn’t just fall off and we do have different dietary needs… thank you ALL in advance for any info!! it will be soooo appreciated!!
RE: Looking for info / instructions / lists / links on KETO for MEN 59+ (from getting started, maintenance etc.)

(Susan) #5

Throw this out… this is not a good thing to have on Keto.
If he has Ketchup -buy the sugar free one, Ketchup is high in sugar.

I would say:
No sugar (and try not to have any sugar substitutes either)
20 grams of carbs or lower a day
get enough proteins and healthy fats
drink tons of water
make sure you are taking a multi vitamin/mineral and getting enough Pink Himalyan Salt

He may find some motivation in these success stories from Diet Doctor https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/success-stories/men-40/all

The website has a tonne of info on keto including this free two week challenge https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/get-started

(Marianne) #7

My husband is 62 and has always worked out his whole life. He is very fit but carb addicted. His biggest thing was a big bowl of fruit mixed with fruit cocktail (which might as well be candy), chocolate or sweets. He carried probably ten lbs. of extra weight, a lot of it in a smaller but flabby belly, that he just could not get rid of on all the starvation diets he’d go on. He would starve, lose weight, and then binge on the above things. He’s been doing keto with me now for five week and has lost his little belly for the first time since I have known him. He is thrilled and very psyched. Someone here mentioned about doing squats (not for belly but as a great exercise to tone). Now he just started incorporating those into his routine. I am thrilled that he loves keto as much as I do. I hope your husband gives it a try. He will definitely see results.