Newbie Needs HELP

(Rachael Merriweather) #1

Hi everybody. I’m doing my research so that I can start a Keto diet. I know not to eat more than 20g of Carbs. My biggest confusion is the protein. I’m not sure how much protein or how much fat I should consume. I am very serious about losing this weight and getting healthy. I know if I get discouraged I will say to heck with this and my body and health can’t afford for me to give up.
I am 41 y/o female 5’3" 170lbs. This is the biggest I’ve been in my life. I can’t get out and walk because I get cramps so bad. Walking a lot makes my muscles feel like jello. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, I never have any energy anymore. 10 yrs ago I walked and ran 2-3 miles a day.
Any suggestions will help. Also, if you know an app I can use please share with me. I think an app will help me but there are so many of them.
Thank you all in advance!!! :blush:

(Ethan) #2

Hi Rachel. It’s very simple: Just get into ketosis and become fat adapted first. Then just keep the carbs below 20g and then eat good fats until full and protein to around 1g to 1.5g of protein per lb you weigh. Good fats are saturated fats, monosaturated fats, animal fats, olive oil, coconut oil, and avocado oil. BAD fats are oils that come from industrialized processes, such as seed oils (e.g., sunflower oil and safflower oil), vegetables (e.g., canola oil and rapeseed oil), and soy (e.g., soybean oil).

(Rachael Merriweather) #3

thank you for your information

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

Hi Rachel and welcome to the forum. KETO really is easy and it seems intimidating starting out with changing how you eat. The main importance is keeping your carbs under control. You don’t have to overthink how much protein and fat. You eat till you’re satisfied and stop. You’re learning how to eat and listen to your body. This is important. You don’t want a life where you need to weigh and obsess over everything you eat. It’s not necessary especially starting out transitioning to KETO eating. You don’t need a calculator to tell you some target based on averages of the general population because we aren’t made with cookie cutters and all have unique metabolic needs and energy requirements based on our own bodies and activities. Use Cronometer, the free version to get a good accurate count of your carbs. Enter using weights not cups of broccoli for instance. Once you learn a bit about the foods you eat you can abandon tracking if you develop a good sense of how much is okay to stay in your limits. Also be aware there’s carbs in small amounts of foods you may not suspect such as eggs, liver, bacon and many things say 0 carbs on the label and that’s due to the tiny serving size listed. You’ll learn as you go like we all did. Lots of great info and people to help you here work it out. Good luck and always few free to ask questions or for help. :cowboy_hat_face:

To me, keto is a simple concept: “Minimal carbs. Adequate proteins. Fats as needed (for satiety).”

I like this macro calculator:

The proteins macro is a lower limit, while the carbs and fats macros are upper limits.

(Rachael Merriweather) #6

Thank you. That’s great information.

I’ll second what @EZB said, get into ketosis and 1-1.5g protein per lb of body weight, not LBM (muscle). This will keep you on the higher side. Many people eat WAY too little protein IMO, I used to be one of them. I was CONVINCED that it was screwing with me “being in ketosis” What most of us don’t consider when we start out and heavier than we want to is we have a lot more muscle than we think. You may not THINK you care about maintaining a lot of muscle but you should, because aside from tons of health benefits more muscle means faster metabolism, which clearly is something you want when it comes to fat loss (not “weight” loss). Loosing a lot of fat does mean loosing some muscle, but you want to keep that as minimal as possible. I lost a LOT! Many of us do. Don’t do that!

Don’t worry about this for now (as long as you eat enough protein, 1-1.5 g/kg for lean bodyweight is a common number if the activity level is low, more than 2 is considered unnecessary, I saw these numbers zillion times and experienced that they are fine for me and my family - but if going a bit higher is easier and feels just right, do that) - and you will see what happens later. Eat little carbs, enough protein, get satiated… I never could or wanted to use some fixed numbers, if I was hungry, I ate more. And if I ate too much this way, I tried to change my diet. Many of us can overeat using certain items so we learn to minimize them.
I wouldn’t even follow a calculator as we can’t know how much food we need until we didn’t experience it. I followed my hunger. And for a newbie ketoer, it’s most important to keep your carbs low and get used to keto. You can use a calculator for some basic idea, of course but don’t force it if your body wants more or different!
Fat and protein wise, we use different approaches (and now I don’t use anything, I just eat whatever I want, actually. it feels nice and free now that I focus on my most satiating food items. I still track and my macros look good anyway but they tend to change). Some people have problems with higher than adequate protein (some people even need to stay quite low due to some condition), others prefer that. Do whatever is more comfortable but works for you. Sometimes one can’t eat so very fatty first but changes (or the opposite. I was used to very high fat but learned to eat much less without problems). Not everyone has limits or targets for fat and protein (our body needs them so there is some kind of target but many of us can’t eat too little of them if they try… our hunger and other body signs and food choices simply make sure it will be fine), many people don’t even track because they can ensure ketosis without that.

(UsedToBeT2D) #9

CarbManager is another good Keto app…welcome.

Has Carb Manager added micro-nutrient tracking yet?

(UsedToBeT2D) #11

It does offer analysis of micronutrients based on logged meals.

(Allie) #12

You don’t need to worry so much, just focus on below 20g carbs then eat as much protein and fat as you need to not be hungry. Get used to that then change if needed.

I may have to give it another shot, I liked the recipe book portion of it but if I remember right it only gave you a small handful of micros, to be clear it does something (more or less) like this?

(UsedToBeT2D) #14

Yes

Nice! May be time to run 2 for a while and see who wins!

Welcome @RachaelM! You will find lots of support and great info on this forum. It really is an awesome resource. I have been Keto for 3 years now and your best rule is to stick carefully to the 20 g of carbs a day. Follow your own body cravings for things like salt, etc. Learning to trust your own intuition is like earning your body’s common sense back again.

Best of luck to you!!! You can do this!