New weight loss drug?

Thoughts?

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

This article made me sad and angry. Instead of considering the amount of non-nutritive junk lining store shelves or the quality of our food or the onslaught of chemicals in food or the ways we process a whole food into something else, instead of all of that drug companies are excited to introduce a new group of drugs that mess with our brains and cause us to eat less of this crap?

Human beings can be the smartest and dumbest creatures. Thanks for sharing, @Fangs

I see this as a very good thing, thanks to COVID now people are making sense and publicly linking obesity to being unhealthy and death. Given the last couple years of “fat shaming” being repurposed to mean if you don’t agree that fat is beautiful, and that fat is healthy you’re fat shaming, this is very much needed.

Whatever this drug does could be the kickstarter for many to start leading healthier lives, I remember back in the FenPhen days I knew a lot of people that were taking it before it was banned and they were loosing weight like crazy which drove them to do other things like walk, go to the gym, eat better etc. They just needed the push to see it was possible for them and that what got the ball moving.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #4

I appreciate your positive outlook and point. I agree, I hope this is a catalyst for a healthier lifestyle. Although I think we’ve known for a long time obesity is linked to poor health outcomes but COVID was a reminder.

I have a family member who wants to win money in work weight loss pools so she goes to the doctor, gets diet pills, drops 40 lbs, takes her cash pot, stops the pills and gains 50 back. I’ve observed the opposite of what you have.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

I found the article interesting. The side effects of the drug include nausea and vomiting, which I hate. I lost 26% of my body weight by doing nothing but refusing to eat carbohydrate, and with no nausea or vomiting whatsoever. But a lot of people would prefer to simply take a pill.

I firmly believe that one of the drawbacks of the Western scientific outlook is that it alienates us from our bodies, which become something to control rather than live in. Rather than trust the exquisitely balanced mechanisms that evolved over two million years, we have come to prefer to try to out-think them. In the absence of a complete understanding of how they are all interlinked, we tamper with those mechanisms at our peril.

(UsedToBeT2D) #6

I think this drug almost killed me. Doctor prescribed it to me for my T2D and A1C control 2 years ago. It resulted in severe abdominal pain. I developed all the symptoms of pancreatitis. But that was my trigger to go Keto. I stopped the drug, started Keto, and in 6 months I lost 45 pounds (20% of my weight). All the pain was gone, and I now control my diabetes now by diet alone. This drug is another band-aid to treat symptoms, rather than the underlying cause of a bad diet. KCKO.

(Jane) #7

So did they follow up with the study participants to see if they kept the weight off after discontinuing the drug? Or does the company expect them to use it the rest of their lives?

Which the overwhelming majority of the population would never consider. You can’t look at everything though a Keto lens, that’s not realistic. Tons of people lose tons of weight and improve health while eating tons of carbs. Things will always be geared and designed around the majority, not the minority.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

That remark was simply a response to the news in the article that half the study participants who received the drug lost 15% of their body weight, and a third lost 20% of their body weight. Given how unpleasant the side effects mentioned are, I was excited to have lost even a higher percentage of my body weight, and with only pleasant side effects.

To me, it doesn’t matter that other people would never consider cutting the carbs; I consider myself lucky to have been able to do so.

(Jane) #10

LOL. I did too but always regained at a higher “setpoint”. With keto I’ve been able to keep it off except for a few extra pounds from COVID restrictions. Working on that.

Same here!

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #12

I think the insurance companies should resist paying $3k a month for a drug that is not unlike cosmetic surgery…

However they should gladly pay for reducing loose skin and the like, for weight loss brought about by healthful lifestyle changes…

I hope this drug can really safely help obese people.