New to keto I need help!

(Dajah Gordon) #1

Ok so I need some help I started keto on feb 22. I weighed my self 7 days later and lost 3 pound then I weighed myself 2days later and lost 3 pounds. I just weighted myself 2 days later and I gained back the 3lbs. I’m 313lbs I kind of feel like the weight should be coming off because i am heavier I am 5’8. And my current macros is at total of 17net carbs 118g fat and 92g of protein. My macros are lower because I don’t have a gallbladder and was told after listening to dr. Berg that I needed to ease into this high fat diet. But I don’t understand way after two weeks I only lost 3lbs, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I need some help plus I do interment fasting.

(Jessica) #2

You aren’t necessarily doing anything wrong. Weight loss is not linear, and early on, you may have some things to heal before you let go of fat. At this stage, you just need to keep carbs under 20 and stick with it. Here is @juice’s guide for beginners.

Keto Is This Easy

Hi and welcome,

Your body only regulates water to + or - 2L (or 4lbs) so water levels go up and down, up and down.

Only weigh yourself weekly or take the average.

By far the most important thing is < 20g carbs - track them very very carefully - then your body has no choice but to burn fat for fuel.

You may be doing nothing wrong :slight_smile:

It does work. Just think in terms of weeks and months, not days.

(Dr Berg has some reasonable information but go to the source - look for Dr Eric Westman’s YouTubes “Ask Adapt” he’s a serious researcher and keto doctor. Also Drs Phinney, Volek, Ken Berry, … )

As we say KCKO (keep calm and keto on).

(Carl Keller) #4

That’s the danger of weighing yourself often. We usually say things like “I gained 10 pounds in the past few months” or “I gained 20 pounds in the past year”… so weight loss should be viewed the same way. The scale can be a huge stress factor in a weight loss journey so the less often you are on it, the better off you are.

Try to eat protein and fat to satiety and keep your carbs low. If you keep doing that good things are bound to happen even if you can’t measure it with scale. Our bodies need time to heal before they are willing to give up weight in a healthy manner. Give it a month or two before you accuse yourself of doing something wrong. :wink:

(Robert C) #5

Another way to track progress is to take measurements.
Scale weight has all sort of problems and fluctuates based on electrolyte levels, stress, time of day etc.
But, lose an inch or two - definite progress!

(Charlotte) #6

Youre adding unnecessary stress to yourself by worrying about what the scale says. Stress levels can negatively impact your progress so be patient and don’t weigh yourself for a while if you can’t handle watching the scale bounce around. One day I’ll be up 3lbs and down 4lbs the next. Its going to constantly go up and down. That’s par for the course. I only weighed myself once a week at most for the first couple months until I knew I would be able to not stress over the day to day ups and downs since my body is very reactive to my stress levels. Worrying about what a machine says at this point can be very counterproductive. Not to mention you’re very new to this and the process takes time and works from the inside out. You’ll feel changes inside before you see results on the outside.

(Christine Flack) #7

i started about 3 weeks ago. i lost 4 lbs in about 5 days but then all 4 went back on despite eating very well. LOL. I am just being patient because sometimes it doesn’t all come off quickly.