New to keto and not losing yet

(Evi Machova) #1

Hi everyone I am new to keto diet, I have started about 10 days ago and have been reading a bit on your chats it feels like everyone around is loosing weight, I don’t feel I am yet, although feel much less bloated and keeping the carbs below 20 so hope to get the right results soon, it would be nice to know tho if anyone had a similar struggle at the beginning with the weight loss like me?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Be patient, you’re just starting. Your metabolism is changing. You’re a woman, men lose weight easier. You may have been getting this notion from male posters.

This is not keto but it’s kind of a truism ! It should say Men ADDED cream to their coffee!

(Evi Machova) #3

brilliant thank you for your reply … I will keep going :slight_smile:

(Robert C) #4

Big initial drops in weight depend on how you started keto (many people here start keto incorrectly and report big drops - but rebound).

If you came from a diet full of processed foods and (intentionally or not) are restricting your intake, you will see a large (mostly “water weight”) loss (fat doesn’t fly off you because of keto, until 6 or so weeks in, when it falls off slowly).

If you came from a whole food diet and move to whole food keto and are eating fat to satiety (the usually suggested way to start keto) you might not see scale differences at all. But, you are on your way to switching your metabolism from glucose burning to fat burning and, once complete, will have a belly fat removing capability at your disposal.

(Evi Machova) #5

yes I started keto from full processed food and lots of carbs (bread, pasta, potatoes, rice etc) … did a lot of research with my partner about what to eat so there is a great support this way … I suppose I misunderstood the ‘‘quickness’’ of weight loss … expected it to be almost immediate have to say… don’t think I need to loose much about a stone and would prefer it slowly but thought it has to be quick that that is the norm … so eat frequently high protein (eggs, meat,) together with high fat (might that be a problem?) and carbs below 20 but your reply is very helpful …

(Evi Machova) #6

also can I ask you, if I do ‘‘fall off the vagon’’ one day through out my new way of eating, does that mean that everything I was trying to do is gone and I am starting from day one again? as it is high fat/protein diet and would I pile weight on cause of that one day? I know I might sound like a silly question but it does go through my head and I don’t know who else to ask :slight_smile:

(Robert C) #7

I am not a doctor or medical professional in any way but I can (I think) answer your question.

No, I do not think you do will lose all of your gains on a “fall off the wagon” day (or even a bit longer).

In the beginning, everyone focuses on their ketone readings and if the go low on any particular day, they worry about the effect – “am I out of ketosis and if so, what does that mean?”.

But, it is the long game that is important!

By doing keto, you are creating within you a metabolism that can easily switch between burning dietary glucose and burning dietary fat + body fat. Once this multi-fuel metabolism is attained (usually after 6 or more weeks), you will switch back to fat burning mode quickly after a day or two glucose heavy lapse. It will just take a bit longer if it a week-long vacation lapse.

(Evi Machova) #8

that’s really helpful :slight_smile: thank you very much!!