New to Keto and have no idea what Im doing

(Drew Mariani) #1

My name is Drew. Im 33 years old and weigh 360. Ive been fat my whole life and dont want to live like this anymore. Ive tried exercise…failed. Ive tried the HCG diet…failed in the end. Ive tried starving myself ( I was young and didnt know the bad on this)…failed again. I wanted to know what I need to do. Like a beginners guide. Like Keto for Dummies… The Hitchhikers guide to Keto…Keto 101. Anything will help. I was going to try the Keto Academy but thought I come here first. Thank you for your time everyone and how to talk with you soon.

(Georgia) #2

2KetoDudes Newbie podcast

Here’s a good place to start.

(Meghan O'leary) #3

Hey Drew! You’ve come to the right place. We can give you a lot of support along the way but you have to do the work. I started Keto three months ago and it has done wonders for me. You are going to get a ton of advice I’m sure but you have to find something that is sustainable for you. Here’s what’s helped me:

1. Learn the basics of what and why Keto - so you can be committed to the process, mindset is a huge part.
  2. Clean out the carby food- you don’t want it around, just guiltlessly throw it out.
  3. Stock up on Keto friendly foods - make Keto easy by having bacon, leafy greens, avocados and chicken thighs around.
  4. Calculate your keto macros- (20 grams of carbs, protein based on lean body mass, and all the remaining calories come from fat)
  5. Eat a few days according to those macros and Get through the carb withdrawal. It took me 3 days but everyone is different. Just recognize it and push on.

Your main goal should be to get your metabolism running on fats as fuel instead of carbs. Weight loss will come with it.

After that initial start up there’s a lot of variation you’ll hear about, like fasting and best types of exercise, calorie deficits etc. I wouldn’t worry about that yet.
Just Keep Calm and Keto On.
Hope this helps get you started
Meghan

(Drew Mariani) #4

Thank you Meghan. Priness mentioned the podcast. Do you recommended any websites or books?

(Meghan O'leary) #5

Ketoconnect.net has a good macro calculator to to calculate your carb/protein/fat grams and calories per day. And lots of info. It’s what I used.

Ruled.me also is a good place to learn about Keto

If you want an idea about what to eat, go on YouTube and search “Keto whole day of eating” it gives me inspiration and also makes Keto seem way less restrictive than it first seems.

(Donna ) #6

DietDoctor.com has easy to understand information about beggining LCHF and Keto.

You don’t “try” exercise, you add it to your daily routine (or maybe you exercise a few times a week with a couple days off) and just do it forever. The goal with exercise isn’t weight loss, it’s to have a better functioning body that lasts a long time. The way you lose weight is changing your eating habits. Keto is a great way to lose weight, but you should add in some exercise too to get the best results and to be the healthiest you can be.

(Jessica) #8

Don’t obsess too much about doing it “right” at first. Eat meat, eggs, cheese, cream, veggies. Eat when you’re hungry, eat until you’re full. It doesn’t have to be complicated and you don’t need a meal plan. Eggs and bacon, meat +veggies roasted in olive oil and salad with full fat dressing.

Do research on keto and electrolytes and be proactive about them, salt especially. You don’t need to experience the “keto flu”.

Once you’re a couple weeks in, do more research and dial in your macros as suits your body best.

(Jack Brien) #9

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00M0JTZQE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1514499615&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=volek+phinney&dpPl=1&dpID=51IbWnEN4EL&ref=plSrch

(Mel Soule) #10

Well said and 100% true. Exercise changes you from being a hypochondriac to a mitochondriac. Mitochondria rule, feed em, grow em and rule your healthspan. Long healthspan = long lifespan.

(Darlene Horsley) #11

Here’s a great place to start! :slight_smile:
There is no keto rulebook

It sounds like you’ve tried a lot of diets in the past. What makes you think a keto diet will yield a different result?

Lasting change only occurs with a change in mindset. Identify your issues and address them. Otherwise you’re wasting your time, and will left more frustrated when this diet fails.

(Andrew) #13

This comment isn’t really fair. I weigh less and my feet gave out on me adding exercise. 360 is a lot of stress on parts.

Just work on Keto. You can add exercise down the road.

(Keto in Katy) #14

Maybe because the others have failed and he has heard that keto might be a better way? I don’t know. In any case, he’s here asking for help.

If you’re trying to be helpful you have a strange way of expressing it. He’s here, asking for help. That’s a great first step. Let’s be supportive.

@ItalianWereWolf — there are some good suggestions on this thread already. I also recommend keto or low carb YouTube videos by:

Dr. Eric Westman
Dr. Sarah Hallberg
Dr. Stephen Phinney
Dr. Ted Naiman
Ivor Cummins
DietDoctor.com

I disagree.

(Dan Dan) #16

IF/EF KETO WOE is not about loosing weight its about attaining a healthy fat to muscle body composition by changing your body into using fat as its primary energy source rather than carbohydrates

This is accomplished by a Diet high in fat, moderate in protein, and low in carbohydrates (net)

Restricting Calories is not recommended or necessary for a change in body composition.

If a quick change in body composition is desired IF/EF is the preferred method as it spares muscle and has numerous health benefits.

If you want to track your progress a body composition scale and a cloth tape measure will help.

If you want to Track ketosis a Blood ketone meter or a keto breathalyzer are prefered (urine keto strips rarely work and are not recommended)

I would start in the newbie section on the main page :grin:

If you like youtube I like DR. Berg he explains it in a simple way (for a simple person like me) :smiley:

Here is a good macro calculator :smiley:

You can try a Cheap Breathalyzer I think it would work better for your purpose :thinking:

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

A couple of books that give the history of the U.S. dietary guidelines and the (lack of) science behind them are Good Calories, Bad Calories, by Gary Taubes, and The Big Fat Surprise, by Nina Teicholz. I’ve found them very helpful.

There is a group called Low Carb Down Under, which sponsors conferences in Australia and the U.S., and they post the lectures on their YouTube channel. Look especially for the lectures by Dr. Stephen Phinney, Dr. Jeff Volek, and Ivor Cummins, as they will give you all the science behind nutritional ketosis, but I’ve found all the presentations to be interesting and helpful.