New to Keto and father passed from Covid-19

(Todd) #1

I’m here to change my lifestyle after my father passed away from the Coronavirus 2 weeks ago. He was also a diabetic. When he caught the coronavirus it caused his diabetes to become Sepsis and eventually passed away the following day. My father, grandfather and great grandfather were all diabetics. I’m here to break that chain in my family. I knocked out sugar and bread from my diet and solely drank water and ate only chicken and vegetables with hot sauce for the last 7 days. I’ve lost 16lbs in those 7 days as of today. I’m currently 6’3, 332lbs and was 348lbs before starting my no sugar/bread diet. The last 2 days I’ve been doing the OMAD diet. Instead of eating during my one hour today, I’ve decided to go on a 7 day fast and then continue off with OMAD diet again. To be honest, I never ate alot. I did have bad habits eating late at night but my biggest taboo was drinking soda like water. My arms are not fat, nor is my legs. Only my chest to my pubic area is fat. Main reason I’m here today is because I want to change my lifestyle and break my family curse. I have 2 kids and a wife that looks up to me every day and I don’t want to end up like my family before me. I would like to ask some questions regarding my new lifestyle.
My questions are:

I’ve noticed I’m losing weight pretty fast compared to bigger people than I am but of the same height. Is this because my weight was mostly from consuming sugar drinks non stop and not from over eating? Explaining why fat is mostly portioned on my lower belly area and the faster weight lost? Or is it that I’ve been having a decent quick metabolism all along but my soda consumption was too much even for that and now since I’ve stopped, I’m losing weight at a very high rate?

What kind of gum can I have that won’t break my ketosis especially during my 7 day fast?

Can I drink Perrier Strawberry water during my 7 day fast and if so, does it matter how much I can consume?

I might have more questions but those are the main ones at the moment. I understand during my meals I should take in only healthy fats, low carbs and around 20% protein in my daily diet. Thank you for your time on reading my story and questions!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Hi Todd and welcome to the forum. I’m curious whether you’ve ever fasted for a week previously? I would caution you that severely under eating when you aren’t fasting will make your metabolic rate slower. Maybe it’s easy for you but fasting that long is something I’ve never done. All I can say is you shouldn’t have to force fasting. Maybe the first day but that’s it. It’s great that you want to change for your family. That’s a solid motivator. I’m very sorry about losing your dad to COVID. On that note lots of the fasting experts are currently recommending fasts no longer than 2-3 days during the pandemic. After that your immune system is quite depressed because autophagy will start scraping and rebuilding your immunity cells in your blood making you temporarily significantly more susceptible to a COVID infection getting hold and doing damage fast. Remember this is no race Todd and that your health is of primary concern. You’re already working to change that and I wish you the best. And it’s probably okay to have flavored carbonated water while fasting. I usually drink black coffee and water. Coffee helps metabolize body fat if you like drinking it black. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Jennifer Kleiman) #3

Very sorry to hear of your loss. I hope this terrible tragedy has the silver lining of helping you permanently change your life and avoid the ugly fate of your genetics. I’m in the same shoes and keto helped me lose 100 lbs and get over diabetes. It’s a lifelong struggle to stay away from the bad eating habits that got me to an a1c over 12 but keto plus intermittent fasting have been working for me. I have done longer fasts but I would agree with @David_Stilley that doing no longer than 2-3 day fasts is optimal from the immune system perspective, to my understanding.

(Todd) #4

I’ve done 7 days before 10 years ago. I could of gone longer but my dad kept bribing me with philly cheesesteaks and I gave in. I understand the risks of lower my immune system due to the virus. I’m 30 years old and strong as an ox. I’ll see how I feel into the 3rd day :slight_smile:

(Todd) #5

Congratulations! I’ve lost 100lbs as well 6 years ago but eventually got it all back in those 6 years working in the food industry aka unlimited fountain drinks :frowning:

(Bob M) #7

Well, the third day is usually the best day, at least for me. Good luck!

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

So sorry for your loss. Hopefully he has taught you your lesson and you will lose and keep it off from now on. A great way to honor your father.

Welcome to the forums. If you haven’t already please listen to the podcast with Megan Ramos on mixing it up. At their clinic that find the most successful losers, mix up fasting protocols

Wishing you great success.

(Jane Srygley) #9

I am SO SORRY for your loss :heart: :heart: :heart:

I would say don’t go nuts! Reducing carbs and just doing the standard keto thing will do wonders for you. I’m glad you’re motivated to take better care of yourself but so sorry for the reason. Hang in there and good luck!