New to forum's

(Joey) #7

There are loads of good keto recipe and meal planning books out there. At the risk of oversimplifying, it’s about restricting the carbs more than anything else.

Something you might consider is an app, like Carb Manager, or others … logging what you eat will be highly informative to see how much carbohydrate, protein, and fat are contained in your meals.

Frankly, until you really get a solid feel for your eating intake, it will remain very tricky to confidently target certain limits on carb intake.

True, after a while, it gets old - and you know what you know - and you can stop. But the first 10-12 months of keto using an app tracking my macronutrients turned out to be essential for the many years since (without needing to track).

Meanwhile, the “go-to” answer as to how many carbs are in what you’re considering eating can be found right there on the food label. Read it and weep - as there’s sugar/carbs loaded in virtually everything in the supermarket EXCEPT what’s found along the store’s perimeter walls. Avoid the aisles. :+1:

(Connie ) #8

I use carb manager but I’m at the start of trying to get fat adapted. I’ve done IF for a year and half. I fast for 89 hours to get into ketosis. I have a keto mojo device so I’m staying in ketosis. But I would love a list that would be a way of just choosing so I’m sure to get fat adapted.

(Joey) #9

Your body will certainly become fat-adapted in due course if you keep up what you’re already doing through carb restriction.

Here are a few books filled with meal ideas, but frankly there are scores of such books on the shelves these days (most of which are reasonably reliable)…

(Connie ) #10

Thanks so much

(Connie ) #11

Is .5 mmol considered being in ketosis? I can’t seem to get higher unless I fast. And does getting fat adapted help with a high number on the diastolic end of blood pressure 127/91? I weigh 183lbs now after starting intermittent fasting Jan 2022 I was 225lb dropped down to 171lbs in 6 months. Then started gaining so wanted to give keto a chance.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Yes. That’s the level at which the researchers who coined the term “nutritional ketosis” set the definition, because that’s the level at which they see benefits begin. However, there is no good way to measure ketone production or consumption by the body; what we can measure is circulating ketones, which represent the gap between production and consumption.

If your carb intake is low enough to let your insulin drop sufficiently, then your body will be producing and using ketones, regardless of what the meter says. It’s the metabolic benefits of lower insulin that are the real point of the diet, not the absolute level of ketones. As long as insulin is elevated above a certain point (about 25 μU/mL), fat is trapped in fat tissue, and the body experiences problems with glycation and oxidative stress. When insulin drops low enough, the body can metabolise fatty acids, and a sign of this is the presence of ketones, which are intermediate products of fatty-acid metabolism, just as charcoal is an intermediate product of the burning of wood.

And let’s face it: any way of eating that reduces sugar, processed foods, and industrial seed oils is an improvement over the modern diet, whether it puts us in ketosis or not.

(Allie) #13

The more you get involved, the more the forums open up to you.
Welcome :slight_smile:

Tricky as I don’t know your ketosis carb limit (that probably changes with activity anyway), how much are you able to eat from certain items (whenever I touched cauliflower, it was 1000g at once so it wasn’t keto for me) and whatever you need and willing to eat… But meat, eggs, very low-carb vegs (probably mostly the green leaves I didn’t eat even as a vegetarian :slight_smile: but there are some other good choices too as long as you don’t eat them galore), many dairy items are pretty low-carb so a good choice as the base of you woe. The higher-carb your items are, the more careful you need to be with it, unless it’s some spice or condiment you will use a minuscule amount of. Carbs add up surprisingly quickly. But it’s easy to keep it low if you are fine with the almost zero carb ones and some tiny extras.
I saw people trying to eat carbs all the time on keto. Yes, vegs and berries and whatnots but they add up, you need to base your woe on very low-carb items especially if you eat a decent amount as one usually should. I base my woe on fatty animal proteins so I usually stay below 40g carbs (that’s keto for me) and very often way below… I can do 20 if I skip milk and stay super close to carnivore… Carbs really easily add up, at least that’s my experience.

(Connie ) #15

Thank you for your reply I just have one question and I feel like I should know what does woe stand for?

(Connie ) #16

Get involved what does that mean?

(Alec) #17

Read and post… just what you are doing right now. As you spend time on the forums and as you post and reply, the software will start opening up more areas to you.

Way of eating!
Sometimes I say “diet” but others think about the fat-loss attempts then (not like it necessarily stops me…) and anyway, diet is how we eat while woe is something higher, more committed and thoughtful to me, maybe it really is…

(Allie) #19

Post and reply as you’re doing. The more you do that, the more opens up to you.

Any ketones present in your blood means you’re in ketosis. The “nutritional ketosis” thing, isn’t a thing. It was made up by Stephen Phinney, but the number on the meter doesn’t matter, so don’t worry about it. I love over 100lbs in a year and unless I started fasting (which I now regret) I never went above 0.3, still no issues losing that fat in a very good timeframe IMO.

How much fasting are you doing? That’s exactly what happened to me, tons of fat loss, then stalls, then stalls I couldn’t break anymore, then gain. Then ONLY fasting could pull weight off me, too bad it was pulling as much muscle off as it was fat.

In my situation, the fasting slowed down my RMR, so I was getting less and less hungry, so I ate less and less. Felt great the whole time too! Until it hit a point where my metabolic rate was so slow I couldn’t eat adult sized meals anymore without gaining. Had my RMR checked and it was in the 1700s, I was eating around 2300-2500 thinking I was in a deficit, because most macro calcs for my size, activity and weight lifting volume had me eating over 3000cals (to lose). WRONG! Had to bring it down to 1500 to start losing again, once I realized that was in fact what happened I learned about reverse dieting, which started a long sucky process of rebuilding. Now I’m final back to eating around 3k day give or take most of the time.

May want to consider dumping Carb Manager for MacroFactor, I was on Cronometer when I was going through my stuff, problem is those (and almost all others) do a bad guess on you, but then they run with it. So if it’s wrong, you’re never moving towards your goal. MacroFactor figures out your TDEE, then adjusts every week to keep you on track, so what happened to me, couldn’t happen. Also nice because it eliminates having to do what I did then and going to actually get my RMR measured. Doesn’t take long and not expensive, but cost me $75 to sit in a chair breathing into a mask for 20mins, and that meassured what it was right then, vs always knowing, and that money pays for MacroFactor all year long.

Other cool part is seeing all your trends, it also accounts for day to day flucuations so it won’t make snap decisions just because you eat to much for a day or two and spook the scale, it only judges the trend line.

I’m still recovering from Thankgiving, my trend weight is slowly going up (doing a moderate bulk right now) but the one bouncing all over the place is my day to day scale weight, which it sees, but that’s not what’s controling what happens.

(Connie ) #21

Thank you for your insight. I will checkout MacroFactor.

(Mark Rhodes) #22

At this time there is not one actively planned. Richard is pursuing his degree in biochemistry and you can find him on various social media with his Australian Dialect " Well, actually…" Carl has been really busy with AI and other computer security concerns as well as having one heck of a time playing music throughout his part of the world.

But don’t write it off. We all will get together in the future. And you too will meet old friends for the first time…eh @PaulL?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

You betcha indeed! :+1:

The 64k dollar question. Health and life span are the same coin, but on different sides. What do I need to do now so that when I am 90, I can still do it? Yes, I do believe diet plays a role. I’m not sure about the percentages, though. It could be 10% or 90% of the longevity equation. The easiest, and probably cheapest, is to start some form of exercise.
I have read Dr. Fung’s books, and he provides actionable steps to reduce weight and get rid of T2D. I would start there. Also, keep in mind that in Toronto, where he practices, you would need a referral from your physician to see him. My point is that he only sees the worst-case patients. Those who are morbidly obese and have T2D are his patients. His two main protocols, IF and keto, are generally 6–12 months only. This would depend on the individual patient.

(Jane) #25

I saw mayonnaise on the list and ok if you only eat small amounts, but if you make pimento cheese or tuna/chicken salad I would recommend kettign one made with avocado or olive oil. I have to order online because I live in a very rural area, but most high-end grocery stores carry them. Pricy, though.

(Jane) #26

Oh, and welcome! I just passed by 6 year keto anniversary and very happy with the results.

This poster is no longer here, but his advice is still sound for newbies.