New study identifies sugar replacement sweetener as biomarker for weight gain

(Carol E. ) #21

“This result proves that the body can synthesize the sugar alcohol itself,” said Hiller. “Erythritol is not consumed and released from the body unchanged; it has an impact on the metabolism of our body. This finding is in contrast to all previous assumptions.”

My question for this n=1 is what impact and can it be mitigated. So interesting!

(Carol E. ) #22

Such an important concept :thinking:. Folks crave the straight line & direct causality and unfortunately we are squiggily correlations at best. KCKO :sunglasses:

(Mark Rhodes) #23

Carol- I seem to respond negatively to AS. Stevia less so,xylitol midway and erythritol much more negatively. However that is all consumed. It could be that other factors metabolize erythritol and it is erroneous to think dietary consumption also leads to elevation levels in the blood.

Wouldn’t that assumption be similar to eggs causing a rise in total cholesterol? Even the indicator that elevated erythritol is present in weight gain is correlation, that is elevated levels are present but what does this mean, which after reading the study the authors point out.

It is interesting to me because the wife and I both had better results laying off the AS.

(Carol E. ) #24

Certainly.

We are better in that the enlightened now dig deeper and question more. The days of blind acceptance are past.

However, I have my n=1 reasons for assigning this possible correlation to myself. I cannot know. What is next best? Perhaps following your footsteps regarding artificial/substitute sugars. :+1:t3:

(Bunny) #25

It is still sugar and a processed substance at that (hard on the body) even if it does not exhibit an insulin response it may be turned by the liver directly into visceral fat like this blurpy substance ===> HFCS! Why would artificial sweeteners not do the same?

(Edith) #26

I am currently reading “The Case Against Sugar,” and according to the book, the original research to discredit artificial sweeteners was paid for by the sugar industry. After reading this book and “The Big Fat Surprise” I have become completely disillusioned about dietary research at this point. I’m not sure if there is any research to be trusted where diet is concerned. :pensive:

(Mike Glasbrener) #27

Eek! So much for under the radar… I’m glad I was able to help. I have personally chosen to use no artificial sweeteners. I don’t miss them. I’m continually a n=1 experimenter.

(Rob) #28

I trust most of these studies about as far as I can spit a rat. I’m guessing people react to artificial sweeteners differently. I use erythritol on rare occasion. I did my own n=1s and didn’t see any real change in my glucose levels 15, 30, 60 minutes out.

Two days ago I read the results of a study that explained in detail(I am not making this up) that explained how much better off we would be as people and how much we would be doing for the planet by not consuming anything associated with cows.

(Joy) #29

So true. I was one of those page designers for 40 years. The competition to grab reader attention breeds inaccurately sensational headlines, too.