New, starving, and confused

(BuckRimfire) #42

Yikes! Sorry to badger you about this, but have you tried pointing out that he is literally in a process of slow-motion suicide, and you don’t want to make the deadly foods he’s using to do it?

Does he have any hobbies that require eyes and feet? Ask him how happy he’s going to be in ten years when he doesn’t have either of those organs any more. Are potatoes worth THAT???

(Pam) #43

I cant figure out how to “quote” people so my replies seem a little disjointed. I am sorry…perhaps I gave a bit too much information. I certainly didn’t mean to –

He and I have fought about his eating habits and his health for a long time. I have tried to explain and show but he wont listen. He loves to fish - that is his favorite thing. I even bought him a bass boat to get him out and moving more to try to help. Ah well – as said we are leaving the area of keto and entering marriage counseling.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #44

I totally get this. In my case, however, I ate margarine and Miracle Whip well into adulthood! When I made the discovery that butter and mayo weren’t going to kill me I transitioned successfully and never looked back. There is just some strange flavour in the commercial ‘keto mayos’ I’ve tried that provides all the incentive I need not to purchase. Especially at the price. Mayo is a significant part of my diet, so I have that additional motivation to make my own.

(PJ) #45

Pammy I’m so sorry for that difficult situation. Gods that’s so hard, with someone you love on a dedicated path to suicide, is what it amounts to. Except more drawn out. I’ve had a lot of stepfamily who were diabetic. They expired one piece at a time. It was horrible.

Something I don’t think most people realize is that sugar/starch in the body acts on the liver much like alcohol. (Chemically that makes sense.) It is horrifically addictive – more for some people than others (just like alcohol). The difference is, we don’t put alcoholics dying of liver issues into a bartending job and say ok, and you’re also required to drink X amount while you attempt to restore your health and life. And yet we basically do that with sugar/starch foods, with a mainstream that acts like addiction to that (and to other addictive elements like wheat) doesn’t exist, and just piles them on like a hard rain to everyone, and even implies that NOT partaking would be some kind of weird or unhealthy. Then observes in financially profitable glee as they waste away in misery. It is just so unfair.

Like alcoholism, sugar/starch (and sub-categories of those like grains) are basically a death by toxification, or poisoning. It’s a catch-22 because the addiction, the denial, the difficulty changing, is part of the disease.

A group of doctors in the low-carb world once got together to put out an ad shaming mainstream medicine about this.

(Pam) #46

I am hopeful that as he sees his daughter and I doing this (and if I can work it, his son also) and losing weight and feeling better that he will slowly come around to it. I have to let him think its his idea LOL -

Anyway–on a totally different note I didn’t eat a cookie just now! work in a busy office where we have lots of lunch meetings. I was cleaning up one of our conference rooms and there was a whole tray of chocolate chip cookies and as much as I wanted to I didn’t eat it! WOOHOO self control! I did eat a blackberry though - small steps.

As for the margarine and miracle whip - we still have margarine in my fridge. Not the miracle whip though. I was always taught Butter = Bad margarine = better…so it has been a hard habit to break. That and its cheaper than butter, which is sadly always an issue.

I have been cruising the Keto on a Budget threads - because I have found eating this way is expensive.

(Susan) #47

These are great videos too, or any of his videos!

(BuckRimfire) #48

At least on my computer, if I click-and-drag over someone else’s text to highlight it, a little gray rectangle that says “quote” pops up on the screen next to the highlighting. Clicking on that starts a reply window that contains the highlighted text as a quote. I hope that works for you, too.

(BuckRimfire) #49

Good strategy! Best wishes for your success!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #50

If you highlight words in someone’s post, a grey “Quote” button will show up. All you need to do is to click on it.

We can’t provide marriage counseling over the Internet, nor do we want you to be exposing the grim details for all teh Interwebz to see, so I’ll content myself with noting that your husband may very well come round, but you are entitled to do whatever is necessary to take care of yourself, whether he is willing or not. You are by no means obliged to wait for him. So just keep on ketoing on, and your husband is likely to see the benefits and want them for himself.

(Marianne) #51

Yes, love a cobb salad. You don’t need a lot of each veggie to make it interesting. I find a couple grape tomatoes, couple slices of cukes, a little cabbage, etc. makes it just right.

(Marianne) #52

This is so sad, but I get it. We are absolutely routing for you!!!

@SomeGuy, God bless, honestly! I wish more guys felt this way. The sad reality is that cooking for their families for most women is part of the gender/cultural compact that has been ingrained in us since early childhood. (Men have their own set of gender rules and it is for real.) Seriously. The solution sounds easy (“if you don’t like it, make your own dinner”), however, the probable shitstorm, resentment and ugliness that women face when they attempt this just wears one down - quickly.

@PammyB, maybe if you cook your meal first and set it aside before you cook for the family would help. That way, it’s waiting for you to eat as soon as dinner is ready or on the table. I think it would be very difficult to spend 45 minutes cooking dinner with items you used to love and then have to make your own meal.

My husband and I eat very simple dinners - piece of meat or protein and usually a steamed veggie with butter or bacon grease, or cole slaw (with mayo), or a salad. Prepare enough of the sides that you eat ahead of time and 2-3 days worth so all you have to do is prepare your protein and nuke the veggie or plate it.

Lastly, if they still grouse and bitch about what you are eating and how, then I’d be like, “okay, let’s go (toe to toe).” I grew up in the era of guilt and shame - believe me, it really worked for my mother. :laughing: I’d be like, “I just cannot understand why you won’t support me!!! What harm is it doing to you!? Don’t you want to see me healthy? Can’t you see how much this means to me and how hard I am trying!!!? I’m not having this.” You get the picture.

(Marianne) #53

It was for me in the beginning, too. After several weeks, I naturally went from three meals a day to two, and for about six months have been eating one meal a day, comfortably and with no hunger or craving. We buy all our meat, butter, bacon, mayo, eggs, and everything else we can in bulk and freeze individual portions. Honestly, now, it is cheaper than how we were eating.

(Susan) #54

I do this regularly, since beginning Keto. Now it is easy, at the beginning it was hard, but I just put a picture of myself on the fridge to keep me motivated and on track =).

I cook my meal at the same time as cooking theirs, or I cook mine afterwards. If I make a meal with meats, vegetables I can eat, and then a starch for them, those nights are easier. The other night I made them Shepherd’s Pie and could not have any of it, but I made theirs first, and then when it was in the oven to melt the cheese, I made myself food, so all our food was ready at the same time. I have just found work arounds and it works well now =).