New, more accurate scales...bummer

Well, the little rubber pad on the bottom of my scale got lost and no matter what I did it was erratic in the measurements so I got a new one. I also had the chance to take it to the lab and found it to be far more accurate that the last one… so now I find the old scale was off by about 1% which means I am a couple pounds heavier than I thought I was. Sure, it’s just a number but it means that goal I had set is a couple more weeks further away than I thought so it wont happen by my birthday…

Moral of the story. Never buy a new scale.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

I’m sorry your new scale is different but the good news is that it’s more accurate. I weigh weekly but my goals are in clothing sizes because while I’ve been the exact same weight for four weeks, I’ve lost another dress size. I feel like I get more out of size goals than I do with weight goals.

('Jackie P') #3

Thats true. I have been the same weight for ages but lost 2 dress sizes! I just wish people would stop asking me how much weight I have lost!
I have started getting very vague!
I know about the scales though. My mum has an old set that weighs 7lb less than mine! I know its nonsense but I love standing on them☺

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

And you were at the start too. So not really a set back since you probably lost about as much as you thought you did, just a little less close to your intended goals.

Scales aren’t really accurate but they do give me an easy reference point although not fully indicative of your progress overall.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Brian) #5

We have two electronic cheepies. They never agree but are about a pound apart. Still waiting for a good deal at an estate sale for a balance scale like used to be common in a doctor’s office.

I weigh often but don’t get too excited about a number. It goes up and it goes down. I don’t measure with an actual tape measure but do pay attention to how my clothes fit. I’m not too far from dropping another pants waist size despite the scale not moving as far as I would think it should to drop 2 inches from my waist.

(Erin Macfarland ) #6

Weight fluctuates quite a bit, I’m sure you know, even when eating low carb. My weight can fluctuate 5 or 6 pounds and I’m on the very low end of BMI. It can be exercise, stress, muscle gain (which also means some extra water weight.) so don’t focus too much on those numbers!

(David Brown) #7

I really don’t understand why people use scales to monitor progress. So many varients can effect the scales. Menstrual cycle is a big one. Personally I’d recommend using a tape measure and monitor measurements around the waist and thighs.

As a 63 yo male that is one weight variable that doesn’t impact me much

(David Brown) #9

Lucky for us😁.