New Keto Help

(Matt ) #1

I’m new to keto, started out great. Lost 10lbs in like 12 days. For a few weeks I was a solid 2.0-2.8 ketone level in the blood. This week it dropped to 1.8-1.6 and today it hit 1.4. Only thing I’ve seen really change is my starting up in the gym again. I did change protein powder but it’s still a keto protein and I’m hitting my macros every day. Any ideas?

Ketone numbers aside, are you getting what you want from keto? Unless you’re doing keto for medically therapeutic reasons then ketone numbers aren’t a huge deal.

(Matt ) #3

I will weigh myself tomorrow to see if there has been any more loss from a few days ago. I’m down 13lbs in first 25 days of Keto.

Congrats on your progress so far :slightly_smiling_face: You may want to keep in mind that weight loss is rarely linear so even if your loss has slowed down that is perfectly normal. It’s also normal for ketone levels to drop a bit as you become fat adapted & the body produces closer to what it actually needs.

You may get something out of this post

(Matt ) #5

Thank you!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

Legendary.

DJ Matt, As you adapt to keto your body gets better at using ketones and creating what it needs. 1.5 is the high end of dietary ketosis. I haven’t tested once over a year of Keto, I’m down 60 lbs and pretty much in maintenance fine tuning my body now. You don’t need to chase the numbers, just trust the process and do your part. I wish you continued success. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Matt ) #7

So weird. So I just woke up and measured and I’m back around a 2.6, I wonder if after working out really effects it? Maybe I’m worried for nothing lol.

Yep, don’t worry. Ketone numbers will fluctuate over the course of the day and there are long-term trend changes as well as our bodies adjust to using them. Just continue on! Looks like you’re doing just fine :slight_smile:

(Scott) #9

I am with David on this. I have never measured or check on ketone levels. I just do the diet part to limit carbs but hangout in the 50g range because I like some veggies, wine and beer (I did switch to low carb beer though). Weight loss was fairly consistent until I got to within 10 pounds of goal weight and over the next 10 months lost about 5 more pounds. I don’t restrict calories and maintain effortlessly. I could probably do things to poke myself into losing those last few pounds but I am just not real motivated to make that push right now. Limit carbs, fat to satiety and moderate protein will get you there. Not sure what to say about the protein powder though but my gut feeling is to get what you need from real food. KCKO and don’t let a slowdown in weight loss negatively affect you Matt. After the initial whoosh of water weight your body is making a lot of changes on how it stores and uses energy. Some of these changes will take months to adapt so be patient.

(Jane) #10

No need to worry about your blood ketone numbers - or your weight loss for that matter. Most hit a stall where you are and you may not lose any weight for a couple of weeks - or you may just lose slower. All normal.

I only check my blood ketones when I am fasting for multiple days and really just out of curiosity because by day 3 they get really high and my blood glucose is really low and I enjoy seeing the numbers.