NEW KETO GIRL- first week blues!

Oh thanks!! hoping to just get myself to black coffee so one less calculation to worry about lol!

So 5 days in and I tested my ketone levels with the strips, I know they are not super accurate but I came up with low sniff, sniff. So glad to have this forum to get me over these little hurdles. For once I am sticking to it and actually the keto flu is fading and I don’t have a normal crazy appetite! I think I’m going to like this! However, now my fiancé does this diet on and off . For him he doesn’t mind taking a weekend off and jumps right back on during the week. He does well and has the will power to do it. To each his own I believe but do any of you do this? I can’t say I’m not going to need a pizza night ever again and or birthday cake on my children birthday etc. Thanks again!

(Diane) #23

I buy my MCT oil on Amazon. Depending on my budget, I buy either Bulletproof brand Brain Octane (the most expensive, but it’s concentrated, so I can take less) or Viva Naturals Non-GMO Pure Coconut MCT Oil. If money is really tight, I buy the Carrington Farms liquid Coconut Cooking Oil (on Amazon or at Walmart). The difference between these choices is the amount and/or ratio of C8 & C10 medium chain fatty acids per teaspoon or tablespoon. These MCTs are easily converted by the liver to ketones. When you are early in your change to this WoE, they can help bridge the gap from getting your energy needs met from burning carbs until you become more and more fat adapted.

Hope I haven’t raised more questions than I’ve (hopefully) answered!

Good luck on your journey!

(Ellie) #24

Hi Danielle,
You can absolutely do pizza night!! I am tonight. Check out the recipes pages for fat head pizza or carlshead pizza for a keto friendly version.
For adding more fat, try making a very mayo-y salad with your lunchtime burger. Cook the burger, then cut it into bits, mix it with mayo, cheese, avocado and some salad greens. You can get more mayo in that way and it is very filling. It also works well in a lunchbox for taking to work or whatever.
I am like you with forming habits and repetition. I found the key is not to allow myself to get into forming “less than ideal” habits but use that tenancy to really embed good habits.
You can do this!

(Candy Lind) #25

[lecture]
It seems to me that TruVia is a combo of stevia & erythritol but CMIIW. Neither of those are normally insulinogenic, but YMMV. Splenda (sucralose) in packets or in bulk contains maltodextrin (almost certainly an insulin hit with that), but pure sucralose powder or drops (Splenda Zero is one) do not. I buy liquid sucralose 16 oz. at a time on Amazon, as well as stevia powder 100 grams at a time. That will last me & my hubby a year or more in our coffee & tea.

I know of two sweetener videos on YouTube that are pretty useful - one by Matt & Megha of “KetoConnect,” & one by Kristie Sullivan of “Cooking Keto with Kristie” (and lately dietdoctor.com). They go through all the different stuff available, and give their opinions on what’s best to use. Opinions in the keto world vary from “it’s all garbage that will kill you” to “it’s all good in moderation” and everything in between. You get to figure out your own “n=1” by testing your blood glucose after using them individually or in concert. Sweeteners are one of the first things people toss when they’re in a stall.

[/lecture] :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

OOPS, one more thing: dog lover? Skip xylitol - deadly to dogs. Keep them out of your sugar free gum for that reason.

(Diane) #26

Highfqlutin’ Low Carb did a video comparing his glucose response to different sweeteners. Not comprehensive, but useful.

https://youtu.be/f2HnkDGuBqk

(Mary S Reynolds) #27

Stay with it honey. It’s only a week and your body is withdrawing from mega carbs. One day at a time. “That’s too much bacon… Said no one ever!” :+1::turtle:

(mags) #28

I’m a huge fan of belly pork. It’s wonderfully flavoursome and very fatty. Not sure if anyone mentioned cooking your veg in fats. Sprouts cooked in butter or bacon fat with bacon is a delight. Fried cauliflower or sautéed spinach is lovely. Totally different flavour to veggies when they are cooked in fats. It’s very early days for you yet. You’ll get there :grinning: