New & Keto Cycling Testing

(What The Fast?!) #21

Did a ride this AM (tagged you in a different post about it) and MAN…it’s REALLY hard to slow yourself down!!!
But, I will say - when I finally gain speed at these levels, it’s going to be a BREEZE to get up those hills.
Where I live (near mountains on outskirts of Vegas), it’s hard to find flat rides. I was going 5-6MPH up a hill that I usually take at 10MPH. Man…it’s gonna take PATIENCE. :slight_smile:

(ianrobo) #22

It will but I am sure that you have researched it and found out what will happen. Basically as you get more and more aerobically fit then at lower HR you will go faster for the same power output and thus save so much. It may take 3-5 months to fully adjust but as I can show you the benefits are all there and proven.

I would say do one ride in every 5 at your old level to keep you interested and then monitor to see what happens at the same HR - ie. for the efforts should be faster over time.

(What The Fast?!) #23

Awesome advice, thank you. I thought after my V02 results that I didn’t need to work on aerobic fitness, but getting faster is definitely something I’m interested in. I also think gaining power via strength training will help a lot.
Do you use the standard formula 180 - age, or do you add a few beats?

(ianrobo) #24

Nope use their formula but my only cheat is I average it out over a ride but because getting more aerobically fit I recover very quickly after an effort …

Of course going 2-5 bpm over will not make that much of a difference in realty but it is about discipline as well

Just wanted to drop in an update on my progress so far. Sunday completed a 60 mile ride which took about 6 hours total. For the first 4 hours I went completely fasted without issue. Felt good and could have kept going, but decided to have some food at that point. Ate a light lunch of dark meat chicken, green beans, salad and a few almonds, etc and finished the ride feeling great. So far I’m feeling good about my progress!

Thanks for all your help so far!

• Captain Bob

(LeeAnn Brooks) #26

That’s excellent! I’ve wondered how feeding during cycling would compare to running. I can’t handle anything in my stomach running. Even too much water (anything more than a few sips every couple miles) will nauseate me running, but there’s far less bouncing cycling, so I was thinking it would be easier on the stomach.

(ianrobo) #27

excellent stuff so can definitely say you are fat adapted now !!

Another 53 mile ride this past Saturday. Not fasted before hand, but the point was no problems with performance during the ride. Had some food mid-ride really just for socializing purposes with my riding buddy in which I ate some pulled pork and a salad. Overall, the ride was great and I’m excited to see the ability to not worry about my body running out of energy as long as I’m keeping my heart rate 145 or lower. I’ll begin to incorporate some hills and short bursts of HR now to see how that plays out with my rides, etc. So far, so good!

Thanks,
Captain Bob

(ianrobo) #29

yep definitely a key to test on the hills

(Patrick) #30

Hello everyone! I’m brand new to this forum and haven’t started keto yet. I wanted to see how people were adapting to keto and cycling? Hoping to get some advise and learn how to best transition to keto with the least amount of negative impact to riding.

Thanks
Patrick

(Beth) #31

I definitely have some hints for you Patrick. I have experienced a few major bonks!

1. If you ride with a group, try to go through the fat adaptation phase on the off season, if possible. I really think it takes a while (maybe months) to truly fat adapt on the bike.
  2. Make sure you mix up some keto-aid. You will find a recipe for it in the forum. Drink a lot of water and stay hydrated. I actually just keep keto-aid on my bike.
  3. Ride slowly and avoid sprinting or aggressive hill climbs. Lookup the Maffetone method. It is a method of training that helps your body learn to burn fat instead of sugar.
  4. If what I read is correct, the aggressive efforts may require glucose. This is still a bit unclear to me. If I am riding with a group that is challenging me to ride into my max heart rate a lot, I carry an emergency stash of dates and eat a few. I’m still in ketosis when I finish the ride.

I went on a ride Sunday with a small group. They stopped to eat a few times. I didn’t have anything and was fine. I felt so good that I decided to skip mid day meal and ended up fasting until dinner :slight_smile:

Cheers and good luck to you!

(Patrick) #32

Thank you bej10! I appreciate it very much.

(Paulie) #33

Hello all

Another newbie here. I didn’t want to start a new thread just to say the same things as others.
I have been road cycling for 35 years and have never had weight issues. The onset of midlife has altered that slightly though i’m not that over weight but as you know in cycling terms a kilo is significant.
Before the start of this process i was around 86kg currently 80.2kg.

As a long term cynic, i never could understand rising diabetes, obesity and brain function problems that are very prolific these days, even found amongst those with relatively good diets. Is the food advice really that accurate?

A friend and bowel cancer survivor has become obsessed with finding the right diet; convinced that his past issues combined with current mental health problems are attributed to wrong food choices. We are all now buying into the discoveries unearthed by people like Nina Teicholz amongst others. beginning to realise that politics, big pharma and food industry haven’t been entirely transparent.

Anyhow, look forward to learning and digesting (ahem) everything there is to know.

Already had some helpful suggestions just by reading this thread. Thanks to everyone for posting. Its good to get direction from those already living with the routine, especially when so much fake news seems to prevalent.

Best wishes