New Keto and heart palpatations

(Dan) #1

I was diagnosed with sudden on set Type 2 diabetes at the end of Sept this year after a trip to the ER for very high blood pressure and heart palpitations (they didn’t find anything other than that I was on a z pak for 5 days and this may have caused it coupled with allegra and a sinus infection), my blood glucose was 350 and a1c was 9.6. I was prescribed Lisiniprol and metformin (both of which I quit about 2-3 weeks ago, I couldn’t handle the side effects). I started eating low carb the day after the ER trip and about 2 weeks later I started Keto, my blood sugar has consistently been between 70-100 since a few days into Keto. I am about 5 1/2 weeks in at this point and I still have days where I have a fog and I get heart palpitations a lot, especially after eating, some days are better than others. Does this eventually go away? My resting heart rate is around 85-90, it has always been high for me, sometimes it goes to a resting rate of 100. I have tried all kinds of different supplements to combat this, for Dr. Berry’s ketorade to the LMNT supplements, I drink about 80oz per day and have been trying to stay hydrated as much as possible. I get headaches now and then, I also recently stopped coffee completely last Monday.

(Edith) #2

Are you drinking 80 ounces of water because you are thirsty? That’s a lot of water. Drinking a lot of fluid can deplete you of electrolytes.

On keto you need about 2 - 2.5 teaspoons of salt a day. I put 1/2 teaspoon of my salt mix in about 20 ounces of water twice a day and I still take in another teaspoon throughout the day in addition to the salt/sodium that’s in my food. If I don’t take in enough, I get muscle cramps and heart palpitations.

I would also suggest only drinking to thirst. Don’t drink if you’re not thirsty.

My salt mix is 4:1 Salt to No Salt.

(Robin) #3

@jediweapon If you gave up coffee cold turkey, you are a rock star in my book. Sounds like you are on the road to much better health. Go to the Health Category for more info about your Type2 D. And good luck. You got this.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

This could possibly be due to an insufficiency of sodium and consequent hypovolaemia. Remember that when carbohydrate intake, and hence serum insulin, drop, we excrete sodium more readily.
Without the excess glucose promoting water retention and the insulin slowing down the rate of sodium excretion, the kidneys return to excreting sodium at the normal human default rate. This means you may need to work a bit to keep your salt intake up. Also be sure to drink to thirst. Drinking a large quantity of water, especially when salt intake is low, risks disrupting the body’s electrolyte balance.

The situation is further complicated by the willingness of government agencies to recommend a level of intake that is dangerously low for many people. A couple of recent studies have shown that the healthiest intake of sodium lies in the range of 4-6 g/day, which translates to 10-15 g/day of table salt (sodium chloride), inclusive of the amount already present in our food.

So I would suggest increasing your salt intake a bit, to see if that helps. If it doesn’t, then you may have some unrelated problem that would call for the attention of a physician.

Balancing sodium properly has the added benefit of making it easier for the body to keep calcium, magnesium, and potassium in range, as well.

(Dan) #5

I’ve been drinking water with electrolytes mixed in. I do not normally just drink water separately. I had a keto chow shake this morning and my heart rate was 105 after drinking this for about an hour or so. I still have a headache. Maybe my body is still adapting. My wife started this with me and she only gets the headaches occasionally. I check my blood ketones regularly just because I want to, and I have not dropped below 2.0 since starting this, it is on average about 2.8 in the morning before eating.

(Allie) #6

Why are you bothering with that crap?

(Edith) #7

Maybe there is some ingredient in the shake that bothers you. Allulose, for example, makes my husband’s heart race.