New joiner

(Keith) #1

Hello everybody, I’m keith and been struggling with weight ever since leaving the armed forces 25 years ago! I have lost weight time and time again (4stone here and there) and always put it back on and I just don’t understand why! I’m active and I love walking the dogs in the hills and mountains, cycling and weight training so it’s not that I’m sitting on my a*** all day.
I love food, big meat eater as we breed pigs, lambs and eggs. But quite partial to a few beers over the weekends too!
The good news is that I have lost weight on high protein before and recently, 6 weeks now, tried the balanced high fat and moderate protein (my carb intake is very low below 20g) and have now lost 1 & a 1/2 stone quite easily (only 5 more stone to go)
The keto diet is a revelation as I don’t feel I’m missing out on anything and feel full of energy and gaining lean muscle mass too!
Further note: I bought the A**** smart watch and that has really helped me in calorie deficit, workouts markers, steps and so on. Although it doesn’t count macros it does focus your goals just that bit more, everything helps :grin:

(Vic) #2

Welcome Keith.

Wish we had the space to breed some of our own food. Must be marvellous.

(Keith) #3

Hi Vic, yes we love it, quiet hard that first trip to the abattoir though.
But the animals are loved and what life they live is a natural one and enjoy the great outdoors doing what they should do.

Welcome to the forum, Keith!

Look forward to seeing you around and updates on your progress.

(Laurie) #5

I have lost weight through exercise only and through diet only. But in my experience, “being active” – or even moderate exercise (e.g., an hour a day of weight training, or 2 hours a day of bicycling, or a 3-hour mountain hike 3 times a week) doesn’t do anything for weight loss.

Congratulations on finding what works for you. You’re off to a great start!

(Edith) #6

Yeah, same here. I have always exercised and watched what I ate. Even so, I was turning into a chubby old lady. Then I found keto. It’s been 3.5 years. I will never go back to SAD. Well, unless someone puts a gun to my head, or the apocalypse happens and carbs are the only thing left to eat.

(Keith) #7

Yeah whatever works for the individual as we’re all unique :grin:

(Joey) #8

@MrKeith Welcome and congratulations to you. Off to a strong start. :+1:

(UsedToBeT2D) #9

Exercise is not as important as diet. You can’t outrun your mouth.
My doctor is amazed at my transformation in weight and control of T2D since I started Keto 11 months ago. He, the doctor, says his problem is that he loves beer. He is obese. Not a good example for his patients.

(Susan) #10

Welcome to this wonderful forum, Keith and I wish you all the best on your Keto journey.

You being a breeding of pigs, lambs and chickens will be a great asset to you!

(Keith) #11

Haha yes same here… I was lectured a couple of years ago from a “very large” doctor about my weight and blood pressure! I think I drew blood biting my lip :blush:

(Robin) #12

Isn’t it incredible to not feel as if you are missing out on anything, AND to be losing weight? You got this!

(Marianne) #13

That’s wonderful. Yes, I used to enjoy sweets and carbs, however, I also always loved rich foods, which were off limits prior to keto. Now, I am more than content to trade the sweets and carbs for meat, pork, sauces, cheese, heavy cream, bacon/bacon grease, butter, etc. Delicious! The amazing thing is I don’t crave those other things anymore or obsess about food. I have learned that I have total control on keto - if I don’t indulge that first bite. Looking forward to Christmas dinner - prime rib with horseradish sour cream. :star_struck:

Best to you.

(Marianne) #14

It makes me so sad when I see people exercising to lose weight. It’s great to be fit and feel good, but when the goal is to lose weight through calorie deprivation and exercise, it just doesn’t work long term. You’re always fighting a monkey on your back.

(Keith) #16

For me I don’t seem to be able to do one without the other :neutral_face:
I love being active and outdoors, always have done! But the keto and training combined (for me) is a fantastic combination and the weight is really falling off me so I’m one happy guy.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #17

Please and thank you respond to the survey, so I don’t feel so unusual. :crazy_face: