New for me!

(Tricia Roth) #1

So I’m in my third week. I’m probably eating a few too many carbs…like 10 grams too many. I feel pretty good this week. I feel normal, that is. Not too thirsty, my mouth doesn’t taste terrible. My energy is low to normal, and I’m recovering from a cold that started in week one which is why I say low to normal.

Ok, so I went to gym at lunch. I walked a mile on the treadmill and then worked with the trainer for strength training. I did some tricep pulls. Had to really work at them. When I sat down at another machine, I nearly blacked out. My vision got a little dark around the edges, and I felt nauseous. It came on suddenly.

Is this typical? It’s not typical for me, so I’m just wondering! I’m fine now, maybe a little light headed.

Thanks!!

(Teresa (turtle)) #2

Have you been drinking enough water AND electrolytes (salt, potassium & magnesium)?

(Tricia Roth) #3

Definitely enough water. I have been salting my food, and eating a lot of avocados. I haven’t giving any thought to magnesium.

(Teresa (turtle)) #4

I would also add pink salt to your water. When you do add a little and mix it in and drink some, if you don’t notice the saltiness at all then you need to add a bit more, and so on.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #5

I had dizzy spells to the point I had to sit down when going up the stairs. They came on pretty quick. My heart rate, which is normally low anyway, was plummeting. It was definately an electrolyte imbalance for me. I had tried everything (or thought I had) to get it back in order to no avail. In a moment of desperation at work I had a ZipFizz and I could actually feel the dizziness drifting away as I drank it.
So now I have one a day with added salt. I know there are probably better ways to maintain my electrolytes as ZipFizz uses artificial sweetners and has 2g carbs, but it works so well for me with balancing everything out that it’s worth the couple extra carbs.

Sorry if this sounds like a ZipFizz commercial. I’m hoping once I’m fully fat adapted to ease off of it, but I’m not concerned until then.

(Tricia Roth) #6

Thank you. I hadn’t ever heard of that.

(Diane) #7

I don’t do the caffeine, but my sister gets hers at Costco

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

Yup, Costco. They have more flavors online than in the store.

(Rob) #9

Yeah, I’m not proud of myself for using it (only when I fast as keto-ade) but it works! Good electrolyte bang for the buck… where adding a few mg of sodium to gatorade allows them to pretend that it is an electrolyte replacement drink :roll_eyes:

(Candy Lind) #10

Before your next workout, take a teaspoon of salt. You’re not getting enough. Salt regulates all the other electrolytes, and you need 4-5 grams per day to keep everything working smoothly. And stay hydrated. And you MIGHT want to think about doing less at the gym until you are fat-adapted (NOT the same as in ketosis - use the search engine to read about the difference.). KCKO!

(Wendy) #11

I have had that happen and mine are definitely related to needing more salt. My blood pressure drops. I TAKE a bit of PINK SALT when I feel like that. I also increase my water when that happens.

(Tricia Roth) #12

Ok. I am going to start taking salt to work with me! (My work has a gym with trainers!) I mentioned my episode to my oldet sister, and she suggested low blood sugar might be the culprit. Then I got a little keto scared!! I’ve calmed down since then, though.

My younger sister was a funeral director and my older sister is an LPN. They are both pretty good sources of medical advice. I’m very fortunate. I’m going the more salt route in this instance, though.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #13

The good news is low blood pressure is not viewed as nearly the danger of high blood pressure. It can be scary having those waves of dizziness, but I just went to my doctor and he didn’t even bat a lash when I told him I was having them. The nurse had to take my BP twice because she didn’t believe it was that low, but the doctor didn’t seam to think it was a problem at all. Just told me to drink garorade. That’s not going to happen, but I understood he was telling me to get my electrolytes in check.