New carnivore aches and pains

(Jodi) #21

Usually the the weird taste in your mouth is from ketosis. It goes away/ you get used to it eventually.:blush:

Whenever I eat ZC, there is a point where the idea of eating meat sounds not so good, I take that as a sign of not being hungry/needing to eat. Whenever I’m actually hungry, the idea of eating meat sounds ok…and when it is in front of me, it’s exactly what I want to eat. I’m not sure if this makes sense lol, but that’s how it works for me.

(Ali) #22

Thanks Jodi, that actually makes perfect sense. I cooked a joint of pork but couldn’t face it at all. Then an hour later I started thinking about belly pork so cooked some up and devoured the lot!
My daughter and I are really suffering with a virus, I find it really unfair that I feel so sick at the same time I’m trying to get to grips with this woe. It’s very testing

(Jodi) #23

I hope you feel better soon! Hang in there and get some rest if possible.
The first time I tried ZC I got the flu in the first weeks, but by then I was so excited about how I much better I felt I was able to go right back once I was feeling better and ready for food.
It’s harder if you are already struggling I’m sure.

(Ali) #24

My little girl is only 3 so rest seems like a mythical place far far away at the moment lol
I did wonder if it was part of the adaptation process but then that wouldn’t explain why my daughter and everyone around me has it as well. Unless it’s just a cruel coincidence!
I’m on day 14 now and haven’t deviated at all, even feeling so rough lately I just don’t feel like eating as opposed to feeling like eating carbs.
I really want to experience feeling better eating this way, it’s very frustrating.
On the plus side I would normally be suffering big time with my sinus, my whole head would be throbbing by now and that hasn’t happened! I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

Remember the old saying, “Feed a cold, starve a fever.” It’s descriptive, not prescriptive, however, so do try to eat a bit, even when you don’t feel like it. When you’re well again, go back to eating only when hungry. When I got sick back in October, my appetite picked up noticeably, but then I lost interest in eating once the fever started. I’m sorry you’re dealing with illness before having had time to get solidly fat-adapted. (I was fortunate to have been keto for six months when I got sick.)

I suspect that you will benefit from trying to eat keto (whenever you can face food, of course!) even though sick, so just keep calm and keto on, as we say (KCKO).

(Ali) #26

Thankyou, I am trying to eat a bit and I’ve got a fresh batch of bone broth in the slow cooker as we speak. I’m not interested in eating anything carbs or otherwise so I’m thinking of that as a win!
I guess I’m more annoyed it’s happened now at the start but I’m committed to sticking with it, I’d really love not to get sick anymore, and to show everyone that it’s not the diet that is making me feel ill!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #27

@moofus Relax! (I know, sorry.) But it’s not the keto eating that’s giving you a fever. You have a bug, and it will eventually go away. We call it keto “flu” because of the aches and pains, but you already solved that by increasing your salt intake (by the way, Dr. Phinney talks about studies coming out of McGill University in Canada that suggest we need around 5 grams—yes, grams—of sodium a day, so it’s not likely that we could overdose on salt very easily).

If it’s any comfort, apart from the one viral infection I told you about, I’ve been disgustingly healthy since starting to eat keto. Even my allergies are greatly improved, to the point where I often forget to take even a decongestant, much less my asthma inhalers. The arthritis in my knees has improved, though not completely gone away, and I can now climb stairs pain-free if I don’t overdo it—ibuprofen is still my good friend, lol.

Once you are fully fat-adapted, you should notice significant improvements. But even though lowering your insulin is good for your immune system, you’re still going to catch the odd illness now and then. (Though my guess is that that happens far less frequently on keto.) Unfortunately, while ketosis provides many improvements, it doesn’t make us perfect. Although I still have hopes of growing three inches taller and waking up to a full head of golden-blond hair! :grin: :bacon:

(Ken) #28

For myself, I’d often experience muscle aches when my protein intake gets too low. I always upped my protein, while following the 60/35% macro. So, I ended up increasing my fat as well. This worked, as the increased fat was used for energy, while the increased protein was used for muscular maintenance, repair, and growth.

(Ali) #29

Ok yeah, actually I really needed that lol patience is not my best attribute and most of what drives me is, let’s be honest, a quest for perfection = ‘Why aren’t I good at this already?!’

Ok so breathe… (not that I can at the moment I’m so bunged up!) and keep plodding along and eventually it will all come together… That is the hardest part for me! But I have faith so thankyou :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #30

Oh yeah! “Why aren’t I perfect at this?”—even though I’ve never done it before, lol! Fortunately, I don’t have to do keto perfectly, just well. I do have to stay away from sugar, or I might never stop eating it again, but even there, I don’t have to quit for the rest of my life, I just have to keep postponing my next tablespoonful until tomorrow. It works for alcohol, and now it’s working for sugar, too!

(Char Bonin) #32

Did you find you needed to have things to help guy health… Like pickle juice or lemon water??

(Chris) #33

Or meat?

(Elizabeth ) #34

Unless it’s medically necessary the long-term veterans will tell you that any supplements can actually hinder adaptation. Sometimes you just have to suck it up, even coming from two years of very strict keto I had about six weeks of adaptation.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #35

That is fascinating; I would have thought keto would minimize the need to adapt to full carnivore/ZC. Huh!

(Elizabeth ) #36

Something about those last carbs, artificial sweeteners, fiber

(Urim Azemi) #37

im currently facing the same problem. Doing keto my knee pain reduced at around 75%. When i went carnivore it then went down by 12% less pain. It stopped improving and now I have joint pain in my right hip and very mild pain in my left hip. Im currently still in pain although I believe it is the lack of vitamin C that may have caused this. Vitamin C is a nutrient which helps make collagen for healthy joints and other stuff. The richest food in vitamin C would be chicken liver. So try incorporating a generouse amount of free range chicken liver to your diet. Im hoping it could work for you

(Edith) #38

It could be that on carnivore you are no longer consuming oxalate containing foods and are now dumping oxalate that had been stored in your body.

You may want to research oxalate and oxalate dumping.

We have some threads discussing oxalates. I will see if I can find them and include the links.

Edit: Actually there are a lot of threads about oxalate. Just do a search and you can browse through all the threads if you are interested.