New and need help , mistake or no?

(Gerri) #1

Hi. I am a newbie. Its been about 3 weeks. And I am frustrated. Not sure if i am doing it right but have cut the carbs. Today I accidentally ate 2 pieces of lightly fried calamari because i saw an artical that was wromg. My 3rd piece i questioned and looked it up again. So now did i mess up 3 weeks of work.??? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Why would it be wrong…? And no, we don’t just undo all the work even if we eat a little bunch of sugar though it slows things down if we get out of ketosis. I was super good and stayed on keto until fat adaptation, I wanted that and didn’t take chances, it wasn’t so hard anyway.
Accidents may happen though.

(Gerri) #3

One said I could then i read i couldnt eat it . I dont want to get out of ketosis. I am wondereing if that 3 small calamari could have done that.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

If the calamari was breaded, or if the tomato sauce had sugar in it, it could conceivably be a problem, especially if you ate a great deal of it. The fat it was fried in might also make a difference. The calamari itself is perfectly fine; the way it’s prepared would possibly make it a problem.

However, you are very early into this way of eating, so a single carby meal might slow you down a bit, but you’ll recover just fine.

The essence of ketogenic eating is to keep your carb intake low. It’s best to avoid sugar completely, for a lot of reasons, but if you keep your carbs under the recommended limit, then you can pretty much eat what you want. We tell you to stay away from grains, starches, and certain vegetables, but that’s because they contain a lot of digestible carbohydrate, so eating them can easily make us exceed our limit.

We also advise staying away from processed foods, because they are loaded with carbohydrate and designed to make us want to eat them. The best diet is composed of whole, real foods—the sorts of things sold around the edges of the supermarket. The only thing I go into the aisles to get is coffee!

Agreed. But since you only ate 3 rings, I’d chalk that up into the “100% Never Worry About” category and move on and forget about it.

(Allie) #6

Forget it and move on, best thing you can do.
It’s a learning process.

(Robin) #7

A set back like that will not derail, especially if you get right back on track. Are you trying to stat under 20g carbs?
And, welcome! Keep in touch.

What is this enmity against processed food? (I saw it too many times and now something exploded in me.) I need my processed food. They are quite low-carb and good enough for me, of course it’s some work to read labels again… But I couldn’t do my extremely low non-animal carbs default woe without them in moderation. They add variety :slight_smile:

Bacon is very much processed too. I think sugary as well, I avoid it. But no one can take my sausages. I don’t eat them often but they have an important role and I see no problems with them.

Assuming it was breaded, ya, you normally wouldn’t want that, but 2 pieces? That’s not doing any real damage. You also can’t go back retroactively and do damage that you didn’t, we’re not that fragile, nor are our metabolisms.