New and frustrated with blood readings?

(Susan) #21

I have been doing Keto since February, and I have lost 57 pounds so far, (I still have over 100 to go but getting there, slow and steady wins the race) and I have never tested. I know some people love testing, but I am super economically minded (read: cheap) so I try to do Keto on a budget as much as I can.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #22

I generally eat once, at supper, and my readings can be anywhere between 0.6 and 1.2. the only way for me to get higher numbers is by fasting. Iā€™ve been eating this way for about 18 months now. I did notice my ketones went to 1.1 after supper.

BG 76, BK 0.6 @ 5:15pm
BG 82, BK 1.1 @ 8:02pm

Also, had a snack at 10:30pm (did not measure ketones). BG was 90, then they went down and back up.

I feel you on the frustration on ketones. Iā€™m going to try taking some exogenous ketones, to try to bring them up. I canā€™t continually fast, but am thinking of a fast fast :slightly_smiling_face:

(Kristi ) #23

When I was at my wits end with my urine strips ($6.97 at walmart) and spent 100+ on my blood reader IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE.

And the blood strips are $50 each bottle.

I never re-purchased when I ran out of strips! My urine strips are gone also.

Now Im not doing eitherā€¦it doesnā€™t matter. I know if I donā€™t consume carbs then im doing what I need to! And thatā€™s due to the feedback on this website!

Congrats to you on your weight loss! Its super impressive to stick to a goal and accomplish it!

You have been a great help to me :slight_smile:

(Kristi ) #24

What is exogenous ketones?

(Kristi ) #25

Just looked it up lol sorryā€¦i get it now!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #26

Ketones from outside the body. Like pills that contain ketone material

(Kristi ) #27

So do u think the extra ketones give more energy or does it pertain to weight loss for you? Have you done it before?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #28

I havenā€™t taken them before.
Lots of what I have read, as far as using the ketogenic way of eating as a medical therapy for cancer, says that you want as close to a 1 to 1 ratio of glucose to ketones as possible. I can get that during 3 day fast, but havenā€™t been able to sustain it normally while eating. In my case, since I have Stage 4 breast cancer, Iā€™m doing all I can to keep my glucose low (Iā€™m good at keeping it under 100, even after meals). My problem is keeping my ketones up. Iā€™m guessing that part of it is that my body is just producing what it needs, and Iā€™m not seeing much extra. Iā€™m still learning, even after 18 months :smiley:

(Kristi ) #29

Thanks for your extra informationā€¦I feel lost in all this stuff.

And I think your right on your body using up all the ketones. Because 6 months or so ago when I did the keto I literally stayed home all day every day and did no activity and my ketos were up all day everyday.

Good for you taking action and really fighting that cancer. I wish you all the best on your journey. I really mean that :heartpulse:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #30

Thanks