Netflix urged to pull Pete Evans documentary

Lol. no.

The documentary inspired me to try ‘clean eating’.

That’s all.

I’m too new here to speak for the community but if any of the leaders starts a petition to Netflix (or letter-writing campaign or whatever) I’ll participate in a heartbeat.

That’s probably what had them ready for the next one LOL

(Terence Dean) #25

You’re actually doing something, setting an example of how Ketogenics is the way to eat.

My favorite part of Pete Evans’ response is the irony of the AMA claiming to have authority over nutrition while doctors like Gary Fettke have their licenses challenged for claiming the same thing. Hypocrites.

(karen) #27

Add Cereal Killers to that list. One of my faves, although I don’t think it’s possible to see it for free anymore.

(Karl) #28

I actually partially agree with the criticism (though I’ll never agree that it should be censored or removed from Netflix).

Cancer patients are absolutely vulnerable to the message they’re sending - which is that they can cure cancer simply by changing their diet. Sure, the doctor they interview briefly after the fact says clearly that he sees nutrition as an adjunct therapy (which every cancer patient should probably do). But the last thing I’d want to see is a loved one pulling a Steve Jobs after a cancer diagnosis and potentially delaying treatment or a chance for a more favorable outcome.

If a lot of people did engage in that, and wound up dying, then that’d be bad for Cancer, bad for nutrition research with regards to cancer, and bad for Keto PR.

Still, Netflix shouldn’t pull it (nor do I think they will - besides, this is probably a case where “there’s no such thing as bad PR”).

(Alex Yohn) #29

There is another HFLC doc about to be made.

(Alec) #30

Here’s the issue. The vast majority of cancer patients are just going to go with what the Dr tells them to do. What does the Dr tell them to do? Eat LFHC and do chemo. Which is not optimal, and we are therefore killing people prematurely.

Is it worth getting this message out there more broadly at the risk of encouraging a few mavericks to ignore Doctors orders and just go with diet? Yep, absolutely. If I was in the official position to make that call, I absolutely would.

(Terence Dean) #31

What about the huge number of cancer patients who died despite following the medical model? Shouldn’t they at least given Ketogenics a go?

(Alec) #32

Great minds…

(Terence Dean) #33

What sort of message is Le Bron James sending to vulnerable cancer patients, should he be banned from being on ESPN?
http://kediet.com/blog/lebron-james-discusses-ketogenic-paleo-weight-loss-no-carbs-sugar-for-67-days/

Of course not we all make our own choices about whether we want to be on a Keto diet or a low fat one.

(Karl) #34

Well, like the interviewed doctor (whose name escapes me) said, diet should absolutely be used as an adjunct therapy. Hell, use it as the MAIN therapy if it gets results like that woman saw with her breast cancer.

My agreement on the criticism doesn’t stem from a likelihood that they’ll not question their doctor for advice on diet/nutrition. It’s that they’ll not seek a doctor’s advice at all (or not give a doctor’s opinion proper weight) thinking they’re going to beat cancer with diet alone. I used Steve Jobs as an example as I remember reading in his autobiography that he delayed treatment thinking he could possibly make headway against his cancer using holistic methods - and that might be what ultimately killed him.

I think the message “The Magic Pill” gives is ultimately a good one - I simply agree with the criticism that there are some individuals who are very impressionable, and will absolutely equate it with “keto cures cancer” unequivocally. I’m not saying EVERYONE will do that, but one should never underestimate the power of human self-delusion either.

(Alec) #35

There’s no cure for stupidity.

(Karl) #36

I agree - but that’s why I use Steve Jobs as an example of how ordinarily intelligent people can delude themselves into believing the unbelievable. Granted, it’s arguable to consider Steve Jobs intelligent - but his “reality distortion field” is something that most humans have to some degree. It’s human nature for us to lie to ourselves, and we’re often quite good at it.

Have to agree. Have a friend who had breast cancer in 2016. Last summer I told her about keto. Her doctors, very reputable practice, told her that she did not need to give up sugar, she did need to lose weight because there is an association with obesity. Her daughter who just graduated med school did not tell her to give sugar either because she does not know. She graduated in 2017. She is still not taught nutrition. She was first in her class and is now considering pediatric endocrinology. She still does not know. Think about how astounding that is. Never mind keto, she has absolutely no interest in nutrition and its impact.

Friend recently had a recurrence. First things I sent her the Magic Pill and a movie on Fasting. She would never give up on Chemo but maybe she will fast before doing chemo? Research does say it will make chemo more effective.

Everyone, watching the movie on youtube, but more importantly if you have netflix, even if you have already seen it, put it on again. Let it play while you are sleeping if you cannot watch it again. Nothing gets the message out more than something being viewed. The more views the less likely they will remove it

(Terence Dean) #38

My wife had a close friend who was a naturopath, vegetarian unfortunately she died of an advanced stage of dementia. She was way too young to die of dementia but I couldn’t help thinking at the time that she should have eaten meat and put some weight on, she was pale, scrawny, looked really unhealthy.

When I met my wife she was dabbling with becoming a vegetarian as well, needless to say I turned her into a carnivore, and married her!! :ring:

(Alec) #39

Alas, this is the current medical paradigm that we face as consumers of medicine right now. It is the reverse of the old adage of an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure (or something like that!). The medical field seems fixated on fixing people, not on helping them avoid needing fixing.

Alas again, we need to follow the money… how much money is there in helping people avoid needing to be fixed? Absolutely nothing to all the people and bosses and managers and doctors and healthcare providers in the system. The only entities to gain would be the government and insurance companies (ie those paying the bills). These are the folks that need to act to get change. I am not aware that they care (yet), which is a surprise, as there must be BILLIONS, if not approaching TRILLIONS of savings to be had here.

(Dan Dan) #40

The Magic Pill - Subtitulos En Español

(Alec) #41

How much was that bloke paying for those pills for his daughter??? $1000 per bottle??? Blimey… what do they contain? Rhino toenails???