Net vs total carbs?

(Crabrangoons) #1

Which should I go by to be in ketosis so far I’ve been using net and staying under 20 grams with around 20 grams of fiber ( I love vegetables like broccoli and spinach Brussels sprouts and asparagus )

Net Carbs vs. Total Carbs
(Rocky B) #2

Personally, I count total carbs. I discovered that I initially lost weight but stalled at 20 net carbs but when I started counting all the carbs and kept them at 20, weight loss resumed and I stay in ketosis.

(less is more, more or less) #3

I can’t type this enough.

Simply ditch the “net carbs.” Count them all.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

MFP doesn’t count for net carbs, so I go by total, but I also don’t freak out if I go over a couple grams now and then, knowing my fiber will account for that and then some.

(Ron) #5

I do this and have no problem. You just have to pay attention.

(Elizabeth ) #6

Was doing my ‘research’ on carbs net vs total and saw your response to a previous question …when you say just worry about total carbs how many carbs per day does that mean…

(less is more, more or less) #7

I shoot for 20 total grams.

(Elizabeth ) #8

How do you do that and get in good whole foods…like veggies? Can you give me some example of meals you eat throughout the day?

(Daisy) #9

I also shoot for 20 total carbs, but don’t beat myself up on days I only do net. I do mostly all whole foods. I’ve been having tummy trouble lately with veggies and dairy, so not eating much of either, but still do here and there.

I try to mix my foods up, but a “typical” day is bone broth in the morning, with or without a fat source (butter or coconut mct oil). Lunch is usually either bacon and hard boiled eggs, leftovers from previous meals, lunch meat roll ups, etc. Dinner may be chicken thighs, ground beef and bacon, bacon and eggs, steak, etc and usually a big serving veggies: asparagus, green beans, a salad, etc. But for the past week, I’ve been trying to follow an elimination plan of no dairy or veggies. I’m mostly failing lol. I’ve had 2 days in a week of absolutely no dairy or veggies.

(less is more, more or less) #10

I am a patient of Dr. Westman. He has his infamous “Page 4” that outlines what we can eat, and in what amounts. On the veggie front, he advises “Salad greens, and nonstarchy vegetables, every day, but limited to 2 cups a day. This list includes arugula, bok choy, cabbage, chard, chives, spinach, and more. Then he advises 1 cup of other non-starchy veggies, like artichokes, asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, etc. I say, etc, since this is his intellectual property. If you’re interested in his Page 4 approach, which I strongly favor, check out his Heal Clinics for more info.

That’s a generous portion for anyone. The food pyramid would have us believe we need to eat 6 - 8 cups of the above, but we don’t. Almost 2 years into low-carb and my health, at 56, has never been better.

There are variants of low-carb, like carnivore, where one eats nearly zero veggies, and has done so for years. Forum member @amber is one. Check her out:

some people are fine with net carbs, and others (like me) have found they need to go by total carbs. You will get to know your body. For me, I can’t tolerate a lot of fiber.