Negative Reading Post Surgery

(Nick) #1

I’ve been doing nutrient dense keto since Jan 1st. It took about 2-3 days to start getting trace and moderate readings on my Ketostix. I continuously pee’d positive for ketones up until the 11th when I had ACL surgery. Since the surgery I have tested completely negative everyday (3 times a day) except once. I’m eating the same foods but I am bedridden and haven’t had any movement besides getting up to go to the bathroom. I was extremely active before surgery lifting weights 6 days a week. I’m thinking that maybe since I drastically changed activity level that might be the cause? I’m also taking an anti inflammatory and mild narcotic (Tramadol) prescription along with Tylenol/ibuprofen. Could this be affecting my readings?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Have you been getting glucose in an IV drip? Possibly your liver is still working to rid your body of anesthesia drugs which is stalling ketosis because the liver isbusy with eliminating toxins instead of turning fats into ketones, I know this is the case for alcohol. Some drugs are metabolized by the liver or liver enzymes. I don’t know. These are just thoughts, I’m not a doctor.

Physical trauma such as surgery can raise blood glucose & drop ketone levels. Perfectly normal part of the healing process. I wouldn’t worry about it - just concentrate on your recovery :slightly_smiling_face:

(Nick) #4

Ok thanks! Does this mean maybe I should lower my fat intake until I’m back in ketosis? It worries me that I’m not in ketosis and I’m also not active whatsoever.

I shouldn’t think so. Good nourishment is also part of the healing process - just try eating to your appetite.

(Diane) #6

Just plain stress can also affect ketosis. Surgery and healing would definitely be stressful!

You need to eat enough protein and healthy fats to supply your body with the building blocks and fuel for healing. Healing is energy intensive.

Hang in there!