Needs new "category"

I’ve only been with this forum for a week (been on my own version of keto for about eight weeks) and several times I’ve wanted to ask a detailed question about “nutrition,” and have been dismayed that there isn’t a specific category for these questions.

Yes, it is related to “food,” and also to “health,” and because I am a “newbie” I might think it wise to post there . . . but it seems to me that within the challenges to dieters on Ketogenic diets, a specific category dedicated to questions about nutrition would be appropriate.

Of course, my techno-skills are limited, so perhaps I’ve just missed it.

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

Show me the science and News are subforums with lots of nutrition information.
Have you checked out the threads in those?

(Michelle) #3

This.

Thanks for this information. I fully understand why nutritional information is connected to science, but not sure why “science” (or “show me the science”) is the best umbrella for this important information.
But, thanks for the connection. I’ll know where to look for it now.

(karen) #5

I think primarily because there are as many ideas about what constitutes good nutrition as there are members on this site. There is no real consensus beyond the idea that sodium, magnesium and potassium intake needs to be monitored and usually supplemented. There’s a lot of effort put into tracking down useful info, i.e. “science”.

Part of the issue is that keto affects body chemistry. Ketones may be an antioxidant that makes other antioxidant intake unnecessary. The autophagy that occurs during an extended fast may be more productive than any supplement. People eating a pure meat diet - if they’re eating the whole animal, not just the muscles - apparently don’t need additional vitamin c. The information about nutrition is complex and controversial for “ordinary” people, for fat adapted ketoans it’s practically non-existent

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Because we all make wild assertions from time to time, often based on Web sites we trust, but that themselves are not deeply rooted in the underlying science. The nutritional information on this site, on the other hand, is supposed to be based in the most reliable current research. Hence, “Show me the science”!