Need help with fat intake and gallbladder issue

I am asking about this issue for my husband, who still has his gallbladder. Many members of his family have had their gallbladders removed - not due to stones, but a systemic problem where the GB spasms during the release of bile after consumption of fatty foods. To control this, he’s been having beet juice after those kinds of meals. Can’t recall what the name of the component is in beets specifically, but drinking beet juice cures the spasms and pain almost immediately.

Beet juice is likely not a Keto friendly item. So, I’d made a few beet capsules for him instead. I don’t know if this is inhibiting his progress or not. Anyone have any information or suggestions as to what Keto-friendly alternatives there might to help him process the increased fat he’s eating now?
Thanks so much for your help!!!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

This is a new one on me! I’ve never heard of this problem, much less of beet juice (ugh! :grin:) as a treatment.

The best I can offer, is that many people on these forums find that they can eat high levels of fat with no gall bladder (since bile is actually made in the liver), and those who have trouble with large quantities at once can usually cope by spreading their fat intake over time.

(Liz) #3

I can only echo @PaulL with the added info that I have no gall bladder and had huge gastric distress (through years of overeating all the wrong food and combinations!), keto cleared up the gastric distress within a couple of weeks and I have not suffered since and no gallbladder has not been an issue with increased fats. Best wishes to you both on your journey.

It is an interesting issue. The surgeon explained it to my husband’s uncle, and I listened - just for the sake of learning. So, after the bile is produced in the liver, it is then stored in the gallbladder. When the fatty foods are being digested, the gallbladder actually goes into a painful spasm while releasing the stored bile. The result is nothing short of utter agony. Beet juice has been the most expeditious treatment for ending the spasm, followed by cold pressed apple juice. Only a few minutes after consumption, the spasm subsides and order is restored. Apple juice, to me, is out of the question simply due to the sugar content. It is weird, but effective no less.

We’re both ridiculously busy people, so neither of us likes to take a long time while eating. Otherwise, I’d agree- just spread it out over more time. Not sure if there is an easy fix, or if we just do beet capsules for a while. But thank you for the suggestions! =)

I may slowly transition him over to more carnivore and reduce cheeses. I know cheese is technically carnivore, but, maybe just the meat would be enough - and reduce the chances of spasms.

Thank you!!!

(Failed) #6

Aapple cider vinegar may work just as well. It’s worth trying. It even comes in capsules, if the taste is an issue.

OOOooo!!! I hadn’t thought of that! Will give it a try, providing he can choke some down! =))
Thank you!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

It’s not really a KETO article at all. This article has a lot of suggestions, and alternatives to the beet cure, dandelion greens and artichokes are possible solutions. Many people find Ox Bile helpful for the breakdown of fats. Coconut oil is the easiest fat for people with gallbladder issues to process. Many no gallbladder people here, and I think you can condition yourself to be more fat tolerant. @Momof5 has seemed to improve being able to eat a higher fat diet now. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Susan) #9

This is so true! I did have problems with Keto/fat until I started taking Digestive Enzymes -I take two a half an hour before my two meals a day (which are 1pm and 4:30 so I take two at 12:30 and two at 4:00 and that has resolved the heartburn I was getting from Fats).