Need help understanding medical effects

health

(Robin) #21

I believe you when you say you did your research and did keto correctly. 2-3 months is not enough time to reap the benefits. But… that’s not your question.

I wonder if it’s possible that whatever went wrong in your body coincidentally happened at the same time you went keto. If the issues arose strictly from keto, I would think they’d have abated after you went back to your normal diet. I can’t think of anything a keto diet could damage forever.

I also wonder… if you hadn’t mentioned any dietary changes to your doctor, if they might have looked elsewhere and found a culprit. Some docs hear “keto” and they believe they have found the answer. They become a hammer and keto is the nail.

I have not heard of something being damaged beyond repair by reducing sugars and processed foods. But… Anything is possible.

If none of this fits you… I hope you stay in touch and let us know what you learn.

Thanks! I don’t know if this is the problem, but you’ve given me a new possibility to check out.

You’re right. There’s always the posibility that something went wrong at the time I did keto, but unrelated to keto, but my gut tells me it was the keto.

I actually went to an keto conference and ran into my doctor there, so he was open to it.

(GINA ) #24

Have you had your thyroid checked out? Lack of energy is the #1 symptom of a thyroid problem.

(Edith) #25

At 61, I’m assuming you are in menopause. Maybe you were taking in too much iron with your change in diet?

Doctors thought my mom had hemochromatosis due to high iron levels and told her to donate blood every so often to lower her iron levels. She only had to do it a few times and her iron levels normalized, so in actuality, she most likely did not have hemochromatosis. I think she had continued taking iron supplements after she went into menopause. She stopped those, of course.

I do remember her saying she actually felt better after she donated blood.

You wouldn’t be, you can’t do anything with keto you can’t do with any other WOE, you can under power yourself, you can over eat and get fatter, but “damage” I don’t see that happened unless you start eating rocks or something and calling them keto.

No, you didn’t. Hemochromatosis is a genetic disorder, people that have it, were born it. There’s nothing you can do to get/get rid of it.

Not the tests you posted here, your actual Iron levels are low normal, your Transferrin is normal, you only have high Ferritin by itself, that’s not Hemochromotosis. In Hemochromotosis Your Ferritin, Transferrin and Saturation are all high.

On top of that, according to Quest, the lab range for a female in the >60 range is 16-288 ng/mL, so you’re not even CLOSE to being high. Not sure where the reference range on yours is coming from. That wasn’t one of those do it yourself at home labs, was it?

https://testdirectory.questdiagnostics.com/test/test-detail/457/ferritin?cc=MASTER

Even with all that, even if you did have hemochromotosis, which according to your labs you don’t, you just simply donate blood regularly. Really not a big deal. Every single person that can donate, should. It’s great for your health, makes you feel much better, plus you clearly help others which is nice. I donate 5x/yr, when I’m due… I know. I get sluggish in a weird way. Next day after donating, feels like I got an extra 2hrs of sleep every morning.

To me, it just sounds like you weren’t being powered correctly, which is probably the most common thing that happens. Problem is, at only 3mo that’s around how long it takes people to really become adapted, but if you’re not being powered right, that can take much longer. Having ketones in your blood is only part of it. Your body getting the message via low carb that it needs to make ketones is one thing, not giving it enough fuel otherwise is another.

Were you tracking what you ate when you were eating keto? Sample menus tell a lot of the story. Hopefully coming from Paleo, which when I ate Paleo it was very close to my keto, I’m thinking you probably were doing it right, BUT, those of us that’ve been here for years in many cases have stuff like this, people swear up and down that everythings right, then 5 pages into a thread they post a sample day eating, and it’s obvious as hell where everything was going terribly wrong. Again, prob not the case with you, but it happens a LOT!

I’m dying to donate blood to see if it would help. In a weird twist of fate, I can’t. I wonder if Amazon has live leeches. :smile:

But seriously, I was wondering if there was some way to explell blood safely at home other than slitting my wrists. I’m not quite there yet.

(MC) #28

There are iron binding foods, like turmeric, quercetin, apolactoferrin, green tea. If you’re hemochromatosis, you might be eligible for a theraputic blood draw.

It sounds like you had a lot of iron sequested in tissues over the years and it became unlocked by keto. That isn’t a bad thing in itself, iron shouldn’t be in the tissue, it should be in the blood to transport oxygen. But low copper, low retinol diets, lack of menstruation, can lead to it building up in hemosiderin. Keto tends to be a high retinol diet.

OK, so there IS, and I’ve done it, but it’s only for crazy people and REALLY not recommended. I’ve bought phlebotomy kits online and done it myself, and even as somebody that injects testosterone regularly and a ton of other crap, those are big needles! Plus, I really don’t like hitting veins. I have a buddy that just rips the plunger out of a syringe, sticks it in and lets it drip into a container until it’s at the pint mark, usually he’ll have his wife in there with him incase for some reason he passed out or something, when she’s not there, he’ll tie the syringe to something with a string, so if he passes out and hits the ground, the syringe will get ripped out of his arm so he won’t bleed out (he’s more the crazy I was talking about). But it works.

Ultimately, most aren’t disqualified from giving blood though, and you still have the therapeutic phlebotomy to fall back on.