Need help! New to Keto not sure if I should do it

(Crabrangoons) #1

Hey my name is Bradley. I currently am 6’0” and weigh about 175 pounds. And 24 years old I weighed 300 pounds roughly 12 months ago and lost it very unhealthfully. I would only eat two to five hundred calories a day and run and occasionally lift for around three hours a day. I developed some serious eating disorders along the way including binge eating where I wouldn’t eat six days a week then eat way to much on the seventh day.
I have since then struggled with those but have gotten healthier and have switched to working out a lot more serious and really want to get a six pack and get very strong but cut. Right now I guess I’d classify my body as lean but maybe skinny fat. I definitely have some body image issues and still see myself as the three hundred pound man I use to be. So I have wanted to build muscle but lean muscle. So I guess what I’m asking is I want to gain more muscle and get stronger but still get that six pack should I cut down to get it and lose like ten or more pounds should I maintain with Keto and that’ll fix it or should I bulk with Keto would that still help me build muscle or with my situation should I just avoid these kind of diets. To be real I’m a bit lost at what to do and don’t want to jump into this if it isn’t healthy for me and my situation

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

A well-formulated ketogenic diet has many benefits, most importantly, metabolic health. The return to metabolic health often means fat loss, but it can also mean muscle gain as well. (This is why we often tell women, many of whom have been on restricted-calorie diets for a long time, to concentrate on waist size, rather than on what the scale is telling them.)

If you truly are “skinny fat,” keto is likely to correct that situation. And if you are trying to add bulk, you will probably want a bit more protein than is recommended for most people. If I were you, I’d stick to a ketogenic diet, because fat adaptation helps with performance. Until your body is fully fat-adapted, however, you are likely to notice a performance drop, so be prepared. You will notice a net improvement once your body is efficiently burning fat. Don’t do too much exercise while adapting; wait for full adaptation to resume your program.