10/15 - 224.6

10/22 - 223.4

10/29 - 222.0

11/5 - 222.4

11/12 - 222.2

11/19 - 222.6

11/26 - 223.6

12/3 - 222.4

This stall happened simultaneously when I started weight training at the gym.

I have been absolutely true to Keto - under 20g of carbs, moderate protein.

“Bod Pod” scan puts me still at 30% fat. So goal of 195 is good.

I am looking for advice and feedback. Please do not criticize me for not tracking my macros - I understand, but I have been good.

Any other thoughts besides “Keep Calm and Keto on!”

(James Petrowicz) #2

Maybe follow advise from Megan Ramos and change your eating routine. If you eat one meal a day try changing when you eat that meal. Try eating two meals a day for a couple days and then back to one. Have a weekend where you eat all three and then back to one for the week. The idea is to keep your body guessing.

(John) #3

Check if there is somewhere nearby where you can get an RMR (resting metabolic rate) test done, just so you’ll know what your personal metabolism is, and not something from a chart that is just an average for people your age / gender / height / weight.

My local university offers it for $100, and places like Dexafit will do it for $150 (or less if you sign up for one of their packages).

That will at least give you an idea of what your maintenance intake is, so you can decide if you need to just reduce total food intake.

If you are strength training, you could be building muscle while still losing fat, so while the scale is not changing, your body composition might be. Depends on frequency and intensity of exercise.

(Thomas Louis Mueller) #4

My “Bod Pod” showed my RMR at 1900. I feel like I am not eating over 2000 calories a day, but maybe I need to cut back to 1500. It is interesting that this stall happened as soon as I started lifting. But my “Bod Pod” still says I am 30% fat, so I can’t be building that much muscle mass, I am an old man, 62 years old, so I would think what I am doing in the gym is just tightening up, not building.

(Carl Keller) #5

You might find this thread interesting:

I know that when I was doing strength training I would gain weight the day or two after a session. At first I was a little freaked out, after all I was trying to lose fat. Over the long run I noticed a downward trend. While you may not be building a ton of muscle you may be building some…which is why the scale looks as though it has stalled out. There may also be a + or - error margin to the body scan.

(Thomas Louis Mueller) #7

Thanks!!

(Thomas Louis Mueller) #8

You and me both! All I know is that I “stalled” when I added strength training at a gym to my program. I have tried fasting, but I don’t like starving myself. I remain in nutritional Ketosis, just haven’t moved the scale. The only thing I can figure is, that I am simultaneously building the same amount of new muscle as I am losing fat, if that’s the case, I look forward to my fat % to go down. Only time will tell.

Deacon Tom

(Katie) #9

I doubt that, especially if you are weight training now, and that is a drastic cut. Even though you are remaining the same weight, is your body composition changing? Gain in muscle, loss of inches, leaner?

@James_Petrowicz recommended changing up your eating routine, that seems like a good idea. With the weight training, try increasing protein. A lot of people find that beneficial, especially with weight training. Try it out for a couple of weeks and see how that works? :woman_shrugging:

(Thomas Louis Mueller) #10

definately feel leaner for sure. I just thought the stall would be done by now. Maybe I am just being impatient!! That’s me LOL

(John) #11

I’m 61 myself. I have been working my way up from some basic bodyweight exercises, and I do mean basic, up to regular 3x a week workouts in a fitness room at my place of work. I don’t know what your routine is, but I am definitely building up some muscle, or perhaps re-inflating long underused muscles.

That muscle inflation has to be coming from somewhere. Some of it is (hopefully) new muscle tissue, and some of it may be additional water retained in the muscle fibers. I am also taking a creatine monohydrate supplement, said to benefit older people when combined with weight training to prevent muscle loss with aging. That also is supposed to increase water retention in the muscles.

I am still losing weight at about 2 lbs per week overall - combining the ketogenic eating habits, moderate walking, and the weight lifting.

(James Petrowicz) #12

We have all been there. I was dropping pants sizes but the scale stayed the same. Then boom 2-3 lbs gone seemingly overnight.

(Katie) #13

That is significant. Weight is just one measure in overall health (and aesthetics, to be honest). Focus on building muscle, losing fat, reparing your metabolism, losing inches.