Need advice

(Gina) #1

Hi guys I really need some advice! I’ve been doing keto for 5 weeks now and I have not lost a single pound or inch! In fact I do believe I’ve gained 2lbs!! I track everything, I stay between 1350-1500 calories a day bc that’s what the keto calculator told me(actually they said 1350 but some times I find that too difficult to do with high fat). I eat less than 20 total carbs per day. My blood ketones range between .6 and 2.0.
I’m 5’5 and 140lbs. This is the most I’ve weighed in a while and although I’m not extremely overweight my clothes are very tight and I’m super uncomfortable in my skin. I believe the weight gain came from being on Zoloft for a year and so I recently stopped taking it to see if the weight will come off. I’ve gained 15 lbs.
I love everything about this diet except for the fact that I can seem to shake not one pound!! Do I quit, is it not working for me or do I keep going? I’m feeling desperate and depressed that all my hard work isn’t showing any results around the waist. :sob:
I would greatly appreciate any advice… this is my first post so I hope it’s not in the wrong place. Lol. Happy thanksgiving :turkey::plate_with_cutlery::maple_leaf:

(Bunny) #2

Looks normal, may just be normal water weight (no fat to burn?) or muscle mass increase?

(Naomi Brewster) #3

If you’re feeling great on keto but not seeing the results that you want perhaps look into non-diet related issues - eating on circadian rhythm, vitamin d, sleep, stress etc - some of these things have a huge impact on mental health too. While your body weight doesn’t seem excessive to me (I started out at 42 BMI and now glad to say I’m at 32bmi) it is all about how you are feeling in your skin and body. A couple of great channels on YouTube are High Intensity Health and Foundmyfitness. Best of luck. KCKO as they say :slight_smile:

(Liz ) #4

Hang in there, 5 weeks is still early days and your experience is not unique. I don’t think I was fat adapted for like, at least 6 weeks, and it takes even longer for other folks. There’s probably a lot of healing going on inside first. Women take a different Keto path then men & sometimes that means we don’t start losing weight right away. If you feel good otherwise, keep at it & try to be patient the healing is so worth it.

For me, at the start, the impatience was the worst, but once I got my first sign I was on the right track I felt so much better, I know that’s what you are looking for, too. If after 2 or 3 months you are still stuck, come back here & we’ll go over your foods & maybe find culprits holding you back (typical troublemakers, but not applicable to everyone: whey protein, artificial sweeteners, dairy) Keep Calm and Keto On

(Gina) #5

Thank you so much for the Encouragement. I was very close to quitting and now I’m going to Keto on!! It really does make me feel so much better and I have an abundance of energy

(Gina) #6

Thank you for the advice and I can’t wait to check out those YouTube channels. I love a good keto YouTube channel!

(Keto in Katy) #7

This is a positive sign that something good is happening for you. KCKO.

(Consensus is Politics) #8

Give it time. My first venture into Keto was several years ago. After three weeks the Keto flu hit me hard. I was dragging my ass around as if I had no energy for anything at all. I started to get depressed, and almost gave up on it at that point. But I knew from what I read, this was expected and it would pass in a few days. And it did. One morning I woke up and had more energy than I could imagine. The flu like symptoms gone! And I was no longer hungry, EVER. I had to constantly remind myself to eat. I went on a three day fast without even realizing it. I thought when was the last time I ate, and realized three days had passed. Talk about a surge of euphoria.

So don’t give up. Don’t bother counting your calories. Calories don’t matter. Read “The Obesity Code” by Jason Fung. I’m about 1/4 through it now and it’s been an eye opener.

(Donna ) #9

Welcome, Gina :wave:t2:

Maybe all that’s needed is to be aware of how often you are eating, maybe do some intermittent fasting (IF). For me, it was the key that unlocked the door to weight loss. Start with 16 hours not eating (only black coffee, tea, and water) and eat during your 8 hour eating window. Try to cut out all snacking in between meals. Have more fat at your meals if you need it to carry you until your next meal.

Once you’ve got that, then work your way up to 18:6. Try to only eat twice during your 6 hour window, in the beginning and at the end. The key is to have low/zero insulin as long as possible, so your body can access your stored fat. It’s better to only have two insulin spikes in your 6 hour window, rather than a constant 6 hours of high insulin because of snacking.

Hope that makes sense. Check out the IF/EF boards for some great information on intermittent fasting.

There’s tons of Dr Jason Fung videos on YouTube, check those out.

Welcome, again! :slight_smile:

(Gina) #10

Thank you for your help, I’m ordering that book today!