Need advice on weight loss stall?

(Alisha) #1

Hey Everyone,

So I’m new to this forum! & I have been on Keto since April 22th & I haven’t lost a pound. I had initially went up 5 pounds, lost that. Now I’m back to where I have started. I am keeping track of all my Marcos, working out twice a day, getting 10,000 plus steps in a day. Doing intermittent fasting from 12-8. I am still at a stall, any advice on what I should do?

There are interesting things, certain items may interfere (sweeteners, for example. I don’t know how but they have pretty serious effects on some people’s fat-loss. they must do something with their metabolism…) but the first logical though is you eat too much. Maybe you used a generous calculator but your metabolism is slower? Knowing your stats and macros would be useful.

Keto doesn’t guarantee fat-loss even if you need it. If I just do keto, I maintain as I automatically eat as much as I need most of the time. Sometimes more. Sometimes much more but I usually need to stop doing IF for that and it doesn’t last for long anyway. Keto is great for maintenance for me at this point (~30lbs extra fat). Normal keto as carnivore is better especially with lots of fatty meat. So satiating :slight_smile: But everyone is different so find the style that works for you the best.
Sometimes having more calorie rich days help people.
Or lowering carbs even more… Making the woe stricter (it’s not necessarily less enjoyable)…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Welcome to the forums!

I take it from your name that you are a woman, and that means your experience is not unusual. Women’s hormones sometimes take a while to get regulated properly on a ketogenic diet, before effects become noticeable.

There are some points that may or may not be relevant, but I will try to list a few. First, the essence of this way of eating is keeping insulin as low as possible for as much of the day as possible by avoiding carbohydrate intake. We recommend a strict upper limit of 20 grams/day, which is not so hard to achieve if you stick to leafy green vegetables and fibrous ones such as broccoli and cauliflower. Avoid sugar entirely, not just for the glucose it contains, but because fructose has bad effects on the liver that are best avoided. The reason for avoiding stimulating insulin secretion is that insulin is, among many other things, the primary hormone that causes the body to store fat.

Second, the calories missing from no longer eating carbohydrate can safely be replaced by calories from fat, since fat has a very minimal effect on insulin secretion. Protein is necessary to the diet, so we basically ignore its effect on insulin, which varies according to how much carbohydrate we eat, in any case. A certain level of insulin is necessary to survival; the problem comes when the level in the blood is chronically too high.

Third, don’t stint on calories. This way of eating exploits the body’s hormonal response to different types of food, and in this context our calorie intake is less relevant. If you are keeping your carbohydrate intake low, your insulin level will no longer be interfering with the hormones that regulate appetite, so you can safely eat enough food to satisfy your hunger. We find, in fact, that the body tends to be reluctant to part with its store of fat if we restrict our caloric intake; it is a mechanism intended to get us through the “famine.” So eating to satiety on a ketogenic diet, paradoxical as it seems, allows the body to be comfortable parting with its excess stored fat. Your appetite will naturally be set at a level that will give you a healthy food intake, while still allowing for the excess fat to be metabolised.

The main key to a well-formulated ketogenic diet is to avoid processed foods to the extent possible. The rule of thumb is to stick with the foods around the periphery of the supermarket: meats, produce, and dairy (if you can tolerate dairy). There is plenty of tasty food to eat on this diet: bacon and eggs, heavy cream, meat of all kinds. If you need meal suggestions, there are now plenty of keto cookbooks available, and the Diet Doctor site on the Internet will, for a small subscription, provide meal plans and recipes.

Lastly, some people find that they add muscle and increase bone density on this way of eating, which can confuse the scale. It is possible to add lean mass while losing fat, so the scale isn’t always a reliable guide to how much progress we are making. So be sure to keep track of the fit of your clothing, as another indicator. If your weight doesn’t change, but your clothes are getting looser, you know you are still “doing it right.”