Nathan's Keto Journey To Race Weight

(Nathan Toben) #81

@juice! i did it!! haha so happy, sticking to carnivore for sure.

(Running from stupidity) #82

I guess I was wrong with my ā€œgive yourself a break, maybe you went too hard on your goals or things have changed since setting themā€ crap :slight_smile:

:metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:

(CharleyD) #83

Iā€™d say youā€™ve adapted very well!

(Tim ) #84

Wow great work, did you training numbers indicate it would go this well or was it a surprise!?

(Nathan Toben) #85

The race was definitely a stand-out performance. Diet definitely played a big big role. Also, I have been doing more quality work 1-2 times a week and that is starting to show itself. But honestly, I think above all else (and diet plays a role even in this), I really believed it was my day to just go hard, make it hurt, fight against no one but my own fitness and the course and lo and behold I came in over an hour faster than I thought.

Now its time to let the pain of that experience be forgotten because its only 16 or so days until my 100-miler and I need to be mentally rested to bring the hurt once again. Carnivore is still working for me. Speaking of, bacon.

(Nathan Toben) #86

Day 45: Race Week

Its been a bit, hope you all are doing well.

I dropped off the map from detailing my journey, but I have been in a good way. I begrudgingly switched to a carnivore diet I think about 4 weeks ago. Since then I have won a 50k and a trail half-marathon.

This has spurred me on to set some pretty lofty goals for my 100-miler this coming Saturday. I figured I should add some details to this thread so that it could potentially be useful or inspire someone in my similar. warn out shoes.

My personal perceptions of carnivore are restricted to the realm of practicality. What I mean by this is, even when I was eating keto, I felt terrible cravings, experienced bloating and was thinking about foods throughout my days. I have a history of addiction and alcoholism so the wiring of my brain may be dissimilar to some of us here but long story short, I couldnā€™t live like that anymore. I reached a jumping off point and switched to only eating meat and drinking water.

I think I am still very much in an adaption phase, although I do think that a highly active lifestyle does expedite any induction phases.

In terms of Race Weight, I weighed in yesterday at 162.5lbs.

I am very happy with this number going into my race as it means I have leaned out but still have useful fat on me to help me get through the long miles. My prognostication for the future (redundant) is that my body might reach 155 over the next 6 months if carnivore continues to work as it has. My cravings have diminished, my guilt when eating a lot is still there but lessened and my digestion is still iffy at best. But I am being patient. I feel strong in my body and capable. My energy is overall very good, despite riding my bike 200+ miles a week for work and running 30-70miles on zero exogenous carbohydrate.

Really amazing stuff. I feel lucky to have found this woe because the reactions I was having to food had a mental component that could often corner me into desperate thoughts. Anyways, thanks all for reading, I am shaking in my boots about the race this Saturday but heck its basically ā€œadult recessā€ :slight_smile: so I am going to have fun and take risks and learn. Until next time,

Nathan

P.S. You can actually track my progress live this Saturday from 8am to roughly 8am the next day if you like. Here is the link. You can find the race, Pinhoti 100 and then look for my name, Nathan Toben:

http://www.ultralive.net/

(Running from stupidity) #87

:metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:

Awesome. Iā€™ll try to remember to do that. ADHD brain says unlikely, but Iā€™ll TRY :slight_smile:

(Running from stupidity) #88

Also, how is the day job going on the current diet? Better, worse, same?

(Nathan Toben) #89

Day 56: Race Report

I finished Pinhoti 100 in 17hrs13mins. This comes out to about 10 minute miles for 100 miles along mountainous singletrack trail. I came in 4th place overall and ran the 8th fastest time of the raceā€™s history. I ran behind one of my idols almost the whole way.

A few days into Keto, running a half marathon in 13 days. Need tips!
(Running from stupidity) #90

Good in multiple ways.

(Running from stupidity) #91

Whatā€™s happening, sunshine?

(Bunny) #92

Wow! Truly incredible! :trophy::1st_place_medal:

Just seen your update post canā€™t believe I missed it!

("Don't call it calories, call it food") #93

Yes, inquiring minds want to know :slight_smile: been thinking of you.