My Wife Challenged Me About My Goal Weight

(Jane) #21

I have gotten down to the top end of “large frame” of the MetLife chart, which I am by measuring my arm? elbow? I think you posted about it. But never been a small framed women - I had 36" hips when I weighed 115! And my hip bones were poking out so it was the width of my hip bones, not fat.

I was happy with that until I saw the asterisk that said “weight in indoor clothes” and they defined that as 3 lbs for women. Since I weigh myself nekkie first thing in the morning I am not as close as I thought.

But I am happy with how I look and no struggle to maintain so pffftttttt to the charts! :laughing:

(Susan) #22

I agree =). I understand you wanting to do some fasting once in a while for autophagy when in Maintenance -I am sure that I will be doing the same. I think your weight is probably fine/perfect as is though, and you shouldn’t worry about that additional 5 pounds. If your wife and doctor are both feeling you are at a good weight already, and you are feeling healthy and well, then maybe that is a good Maintenance weight for you already. There is no point in driving yourself crazy over a few (literally a few) pounds!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #23

I raised the same question Tracy. Maybe I misunderstood your post. :cowboy_hat_face:

@amwassil Testosterone, great point. In men body fat = increased estrogen which blocks testosterone receptors and throws the ratio off with decreased testosterone levels. As a male still interested in having a sex life lower body fat is fighting back against aging and lowering testosterone levels. It’s a downhill slope. Hormone imbalances as we age push men and women towards an androgynous zone. Men get soft (pun intended), I’m trying to slow down aging here. :joy::joy::grin::cowboy_hat_face:

(traci simpson) #24

It makes me mad that Dr.'s and people in general just see an age on a piece of paper but don’t look at you and your general body make up and body mass index, etc.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #25

:thinking: …but that attitude is based on a valid observation as David pointed out: the decline towards androgyny. It’s not totally inevitable, but requires conscious effort and hard work to overcome.

(traci simpson) #26

It’s still achievable to not be in the range where you’re considered obese is my point, based on age alone. If it was, then why are we all trying to loose fat?

(Central Florida Bob ) #27

I think that’s where I am. I think if there’s one thing I can say for myself is that I’ve tended to notice bad thinking habits and stopped them. In this case, I think I’m getting a little too obsessive over these last five pounds. When I realized that for the last month I was in a stall, I immediately started thinking about what have I changed lately and what do I need to cut out.

As @HeleneS pointed out…

My plan was to do exactly that transition, only starting at the lower weight. I was planning to probably drop to two fasts/week, then one, all the while weighing daily and tracking it so that I can see where I am. The alternative of 18:6 IF/TRE is what I do on eating days, and that helps a bunch of people on these forums. That may be enough.

I will never go back to eating completely without restraint, but I need to learn how to not let it get out of hand.

(Bob M) #28

I think what we’re doing, assuming we follow the same diet, physically changes us. For instance, I worked out this morning at about 7am, body weight lifting, then HIIT. Did not eat until about 11 am, ate 1/2 pound of lean steak, 3 beef sausages from Costco (too much fat, made me slightly sick), blue cheese, some olives. It’s 4pm now, so about 5 hours later, and I’m not hungry at all.

I won’t eat again until about 7:30 pm tonight when I get home. That’s 8.5 hours without a meal, and I still won’t be that hungry, though will have dinner with everyone.

That’s physically different from when I was on SAD or very, very low fat.

But they do the same with women. I’m only 43 but they already tell me to have a significantly bigger fat percentage as a younger woman… Heck no, I will follow my own ideals, I surely don’t need much more fat just because some years passed… Even muscles can’t be an important factor yet (especially considering young women tend to have very little muscles too), bones, well those don’t deteriorate that quickly either.
It just doesn’t make sense to me but I know people consider being chubby when old fine. I don’t. But I’m not even near old yet anyway. I want more muscles and a lean body first (considering I have little muscles now, I still can do both). Yay, I will lower my body fat percentage from two direction! If I can think straight, it’s not my day.

Not like I care about such numbers. I’m an individual. And I look bad with some excess fat mostly on my belly. Many people are like this, a tad more fat and we looks pretty bad, lean body with a pot belly… No thanks. These are numbers like BMI, not too useful but still, age has a too big effect on thing IMO. Or does it work for the average person? I can’t see how but the main thing we should consider these individually. Why to follow guidelines? We look at ourselves, at our health and decide.

(Central Florida Bob ) #31

I’ve been working on building muscle in parallel. My body composition scale tells me (for what it’s worth) that I’ve only gained a pound in muscle over the last several months. Another place to bio-hack and try to find things that work.

I’m trying to figure out exactly how to approach this, and whether or not I still do a couple of fasting days every week or just what to do. Ultimately, I guess it comes down to what works for me; N=1 experimenting.

Since May, my schedule has been I only eat two successive days on Friday and Saturday. I think I’m making that three days and eating on Sunday.

(Central Florida Bob ) #32

This week is being scary.

I decided to not fast at all, rather than cut from three days to two to one. I’ve been eating TMAD and was concerned about where my weight would settle. It has gone up every day since last Friday. I knew going in that my weight was likely more than what I’d see at hour 38 of fast, it’s just a question of how much more. Today, I’m four pounds above last Friday, one pound per day. I assumed it might go up five, so I’m getting nervous.

Today, I threw in an OMAD day, just to mix things up.

(Door Girl) #33

This is just a wild *** guess, but adipose tissue is a reservoir for some pretty effective stem cells and growth factors. Platelet derived growth factor is one of these, and it sort of responds to a site of injury and sends out alerts for repair. It seems logical to me that it is in fat because we have fat distributed around the body.

As we get older, the amount of stem cells and growth factors declines. So perhaps having a bit more fat, assuming the density of the stem cells and growth factors is the same, gives more resilience to injury or sickness.

Of course this is a giant swan dive off of a mountain of actual scientific evidence. I could be completely wrong, but it seems like a potential explanation.