My teeth hurt

(Jan) #1

I have noticed many things since starting my keto life but the killer is this teeth pain. My jaw/teeth just ache. I’ll try some sensitive teeth paste. I just don’t understand this cause my teeth have never been so clean.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

That sounds odd. What are you eating? Rocks aren’t keto, lol! :grin:

Seriously, you may need to see your dentist about this. It’s not necessarily related to keto. There may be something going on.

As far as I can tell, keto is good for your teeth. Sugar is the absolute worst thing for your teeth. Jaw ache could be caused by grinding your teeth at night from anxiety/stress. Your dentist might make you a bite splint or have another solution.

(Ann) #4

I have the same thing two months in. Did you find an answer? Could it be the ACV?

(Bunny) #5

(Ann) #6

I don’t know what that is :woozy_face:

(Bunny) #7

Dr. Weston A. Price, DDS (Dentist)

Dr. Weston A. Price (1870-1948), a Cleveland dentist, has been called the “Isaac Newton of Nutrition.” In his search for the causes of dental decay and physical degeneration that he observed in his dental practice, he turned from test tubes and microscopes to unstudied evidence among human beings. Dr. Price sought the factors responsible for fine teeth among the people who had them- the isolated “primitives.”

Price traveled the world over in order to study isolated human groups, including sequestered villages in Switzerland, Gaelic communities in the Outer Hebrides, Eskimos and Indians of North America, Melanesian and Polynesian South Sea Islanders, African tribes, Australian Aborigines, New Zealand Maori and the Indians of South America. Wherever he went, Dr. Price found that beautiful straight teeth, freedom from decay, stalwart bodies, resistance to disease and fine characters were typical of native peoples on their traditional diets, rich in essential food factors. …More

(Dani) #8

I also suffer with the same issue. I’ve been keto 19 months and it happens to me intermittently.

The only thing I’ve managed to pinpoint is when my protein levels are low, that tends to be when the pain comes…

(Ann) #9

I just remembered I munched on ice cubes yesterday :crazy_face::cold_face:

(Darrin Gervais) #10

Hello I’m new here, can I get a manual of how things work here?

(Darrin Gervais) #11

That’s not good for your health

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Just hang out and read lots of posts. You’ll soon figure it all out. Ask all the questions you want, but brace yourself for an onslaught of answers, a good many of which will contradict one another, because a lot of the science of how the body handles food is still being worked out. Although many of us are quite passionate about our way of eating and its benefits, we do try to be as data-driven as possible. Keto is not a matter of belief, but a matter of science. If someone posts something that doesn’t make sense, it is perfectly acceptable to ask for the poster to provide supporting data.

(Beth) #13

I had the same thing, so I started watching what I was doing during the day and found that I was grinding my teeth when I interment fast. I started wearing a mouth guard during the day and this helped.

(John) #14

Mine didn’t hurt but oddly enough they seem loose sometimes after eating. not all of them and not any one just random. they do not actually move I just feel what seems like a clicking with my tongue. I have had it checked out by my dentist and she said all is fine and none are actually loose. Didn’t start till being keto for about a month. I went off keto for a couple weeks and it went away so Im sure it is keto related just not sure why.

(Sayra Ramirez) #15

I started keto On new years so I’m like 11 days in and my teeth have been hurting too for the past 3 days also sensitive to cold. Not severe pain just like a very mild pain through the day. Hope it goes away. But i also noticed sometimes my teeth are clenched when i wake up. It weird thought i was going crazy.

Search oxalate dumping in the search box at top right. Painful teeth, when you have good,standard dental hygiene, including needle-like pain in teeth, is a symptom of oxalate dumping.

(Bunny) #17

Could also be the low sugar diet, the sugar dependent microbiome in the mouth is dying, the kind of sugar dependent bacteria that eats tooth enamel?

They surround the nerves of your teeth so as they die off your feeling a little pain.

(Brittany Edmunds) #18

Same thing happens to me when I do Low carb/Atkins. Last time I tried Atkins the toothache was so bad and nearly constant, I had to stop. Sure enough after I stopped and ate normal for a bit, the toothpain went away. I wish I knew how to stop the ache cuz I get results from the diet and would like to continue.

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #19

I have absolutely no tooth hygiene habits but as long as I don’t consume a lot of citrus, my teeth feel fine.

anybody gnashing their teeth during sleep?