My Keto/Carnivore stratagy

(charlie3) #1

I like to eat a BIG salad daily, it’s a giant vitamin pill, filling, tastes great, avoids diet fatigue. But it has me ending up with 40 grams net carbs or 260 calories total carbs per day. To bring down the 40 grams I let the salad vegetables run out (12 days) and then eat animal based only for some days, may be 3-7. The carnivore days reduce AVERAGE net carbs down to 30 week-to-week, or month-to-month. I find it’s a painless way to reduce carbs, on average. Full time carnivore doesn’t work for me, yet, but it’s useful.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

So some days you are possibly elevating your insulin level enough to cause your body to store fat, and other days you are not. If this strategy is working for you, I suspect it is probably because you are insulin-sensitive enough for the 40 g net carb intake to still be below your threshold of tolerance. It is my understanding that averaging intake over multiple days is not going to avoid acute spikes in serum insulin level. What is required is eating in a way that avoids those acute spikes to the extent possible.

(charlie3) #3

Besides the diet I’m also physically active, walking, Airdyne, lifting. Today’s activity burned 840 calories on top of my estimated 1700 BMR. I believe the activity earns me some extra carbs, particularly if it’s mostly leafy greens. I also believe diet studies with no accounting for activity are seriously flawed. I don’t know my insulin sensitivity. May be some day I’ll have access to a CGM. My last A1c was 5.3 down from 5.4 a year earlier. Removing even more carbs makes me ‘carb crazy’ which is I why I keep carnivor to a week or less (ice cream store, here I come). Seems I’m able to stick to this diet, a virtue even if there are flaws. My motivation to get to bed is tomorrow morning I get to prep the salad and iced coffee.