My hair

hair-loss

(Jennifer M Worth) #1

I’m at 10 months keto, menopausal and 52 years of age. Hair loss is happening and I am a bit sad, but entirely thankful that the forum has an article available saying it is temporary. I have no intention of changing this woe, so hoping the next year will regrow all my precious follicles. :smile:

(Joey) #2

As you know, hair loss has a lot to do with changing hormones. Insufficient protein can also trigger hair loss (weaker fingernails and related issues) so do make sure you’re getting enough protein in your diet. :vulcan_salute:

As @SomeGuy said, below optimal protein loses hair, hormones in flux, loses hair. I’ll add to that under consuming calories (pretty common when fat keeps you full all the time), not being up on all your micronutrients, there’s a ton that’ll do that.

On the menopause, depending on your mindset there, just like when us dudes start losing our testosterone and everything goes to hell, you can cheat that if you want to. Some people think that’s stupid (for what reason I have no clue), me, I don’t like playing by the rules. I’m an anti-ager, screw getting old (biologically).

(Robin) #4

I have experienced hair loss with any diet that brings significant weight loss. Even pre-keto.
It’s an ego bruiser for sure. But it is temporary… I think mine was about 6 months.

The good news is that others will be looking at your wonderfully transformed body, not your hair.
You got this!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

My hairline has receeded dramatically since I went keto. I’ve decided it’s time to start practicing my comb-over skills! :rofl:

(Jennifer M Worth) #6

big smile because I’m practically carnivore. But I’m gathering that I might be missing something in this thread.

(Joey) #7

Jennifer - Well then, you’re probably getting ample protein! 10 months into carb restriction is often a period of increased weight loss - if that’s your situation, it could readily be playing into (temporary) hair loss. And of course menopause is perhaps another relevant factor.

From your avatar, looks you like you’ve got great taste in hats. So there’s an excuse to do a little extra shopping before this (hopefully temporary) condition reverses itself. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Robin) #8

I began putting collagen powder in my morning coffee when my hair was falling out. That was 3 years ago. I still take it and have seen improvements far beyond just my hair. Nails, skin, etc.

(Harriet) #9

When I became perimenopausal it wasn’t just my reproductive hormones that went wonky, my thyroid also dropped out. When I lost most of my eyebrows and it seems like 50% of my hair the doctor put me on thyroid meds. It never grew back. I’d advise getting your hormones tested and be sure to look over the results yourself. There is a condition called subclinical hypothyroidism that a lot of doctors don’t treat but if you have additional symptoms (constant tiredness, dry skin, eyebrow loss starting from the outer edges, palpitations) you might be able to advocate for yourself, or find another doctor who will listen because I think most of them are useless.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #11

Not menopausal in my case because I’m a bloke! … and although my hair is no thicker it has turned from grey (almost white) to the brown it once was!

Many experience temporary hair loss on keto, especially during menopause. It’s tough, but it should improve with time. Also, taking vitamins and supplements can help support hair growth. Just make sure to choose quality ones (for example find BodyLogicMD reviews here) and consult a doctor for personalized advice. Being patient and taking care of myself holistically made a huge difference.

You win then! I reverted all my face and some of the sides of my head, but not from keto, from a cocktail starting at HGH, and ending with a couple of things that said “Research use only” :rofl::rofl::rofl: