My daughter is new, extremely picky

(Jackie ) #21

The issue with her is her very short list of foods she WILL eat. She does not try things either. You have no idea what i went through when she was a child…she actually is much better now too…she will eat broccoli, cauliflower and a few other veggies. :flushed:

(Jackie ) #22

The surgery is only a tool…she knows her diet was horrible…she said the fact is that she didn’t get that way miraculously…she did it to herself. She is also aware that she is a carb addict. I was looking for things she could replace the sweetness with basically…and I’m not advocating artificial sweeteners either.
She was doing her power walking for a long time…at least 5 miles daily. Science has proven that exercise does NOT help a person lose weight…she is a grown woman, she will have to figure it out

(Jackie ) #23

She does understand the mechanics of keto…it’s her sweet addiction that is in the way, plus her unwillingness to try replacements…
Her focus is more on foods she will like rather than losing weight. That’s her addiction talking…besides, she knows I do it as well. I’m not a good addict…that helps too.
A few years ago when I was at her house, I actually got so angry with her I blew up. She was drinking at least a 12 pack of soda daily. I told her that she needed to make sure she has good life insurance so that when she kills herself with her crappy diet, I’ll have money to raise the kids…
She is now back on keto, her husband is as well…it’s a work in progress and she is trying to make some substitutions…her husband is helping. :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:

(Allie) #24

Actually I do as my son was exactly the same, but he’s all grown up now at 24 and responsible for his own life and decisions. Your daughter has to be ready to make the changes for herself, and allowed to do so when she is ready. As difficult it is to see someone we love harming themselves, we cannot live their lives for them.

That’s great to hear - I’ll keep my fingers crossed for a positive outcome. She’s fortunate to have a supportive family in you all. :grinning:

It’s great the husband helps but it is still up to her. She must want this and stay on track (well, coming back when she strays). In my family we can’t influence each other’s diet much, not even me and I am the main cook. Even where I influence my SO’s diet, it’s the points where he allows it, of course. There are fixed points in both our diets and they stay. Woe is very strongly up to the one in question. Addictions are strong, I have more like temporal compulsions but it’s somewhat similar. I can mess up my day in a minute if the compulsion strikes and I don’t care at the moment - and I know very well what is good for me and I do low-carb with more and more changes since almost a decade. So I can understand it’s easy to mess up and I find being determined in general and very long term quite important. An undisciplined and addicted person is doomed with a half-assed commitment, it’s not smooth sailing even with a very strong commitment but it helps very much.

Good luck for her. I consider substitutions a double-edge sword but it’s very individual. I am better with simply eating good keto stuff and forget about some old favs (most of them can’t be replaced anyway as the substitutes aren’t even remotely similar to me. or similar but lacking and it just makes me wanting the real thing more. but sometimes a substitution is great and better than the original and I don’t care if it’s very similar or not at all). It seems they works well for many, at least as crutches in the beginning. But it’s better not to focus on them too much and trying to live on substitutions instead just eating very normal food.

Never had exercise / working out as a regular part of your life have you? Science has shown you don’t HAVE to exercise to loose weight, thinking it doesn’t help/speed it up is completely disillusion.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

But it helps by improving metabolic health, not by directly causing fat to be metabolised. I believe that is the point.

@Jakiscorpion

To me it seems like your daughter is eating herself to death because of people around her always trying to make decisions for her.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) closed #30

We’re getting uncivil here, so let’s just take a break, okay? We can open up the thread again later.