My daughter and I are both doing Keto. She is not losing weight. Please help

newbies

(Ellen ) #1

My daughter and I have been eating Keto since May. She actually started 2 weeks before me. It took her a couple of months before she stepped on a scale but at that time she was 238lbs. She is 5’5", 41yrs old and a nurse. She is not sedentary. We are “roommates” living together. So we eat pretty much the same food. I’ve lost 15lbs and when she got on the scale this morning she was the same weight at 238lbs! Crazy. Tears were in her eyes. I feel so bad for her. Can someone help. She works three 12 hour shifts a week. So on those days she makes chicken salad with some tomatoes, onions, and bacon. She brings slices of cheese with her to snack on. At home we both eat the same dinner. Meat and asparagus or spinach. We used to eat high, high sugar, bread, canned foods before Keto. It’s unbelievable that she hasn’t lost weight. I can only think her body is still fighting to regulate itself. She was very thin (to thin) about 3 years ago due to job stress. She quit that job and is now in a new (not so stressful) job but she doesn’t like it. Her morning coffee has heavy cream and stevia. On days she’s not working she has a cheese and salsa omelette. Sometimes a cheeseburger without bread for lunch and then dinner. How can she go from such a crappy diet to no weight loss…none! Sorry if I’m rambling, my heart is breaking for her. Please help. I have to leave for work but will check back in later. Thanks in advance for your help. PS…her eating window is often better than mine with many 16/8 meal days.

(Bob M) #2

Some options to try: cease snacking, try to eat in defined “windows”; some people have issues with cheese, try to avoid that at least for a while to see what happens; get as close to meat + veggies as she can; watch for seed oils, like canola, soybean, sunflower, etc., avoid them if she can (make your own mayo, it takes 2 minutes). Personally, I avoid sweeteners if I can. They can be triggers to overeating. Avoid nuts, at least in the short term.

Reduce stress if possible, including tossing the freaking scale if that causes stress.

(Marianne) #3

I’m sorry. This can be very discouraging.

Seems like she is doing the right things. I am not a proponent of tracking, but maybe in this case she would do well to track for at least a couple of weeks to make sure that she is getting enough fat and keeping the carbs under 20. If she can, I’d do total carbs, not net. Don’t know what she is eating - sounds clean - but I wouldn’t eat anything processed, just meat/chicken, some cheese, eggs, bacon, sausage, butter, and low carb veggies. You didn’t mention it, but I wouldn’t recommend she do any fasting. Like @ctviggen, I’d eat 2-3 meals a day with no snacks in between. Her meals should be sufficient to carry her comfortably to her next meal. Is she drinking only water, coffee, tea? Does she sometimes eat off plan? Has she seen a reduction in inflammation or in any of her measurements?

Good luck; I hope she will stick with it.

(Susan) #4

I am sorry that your daughter is struggling and hasn’t lost any weight yet. I agree with the comments that Bob and Marianne have made above.

I use Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Mayonnaise because I couldn’t find any other mayo that didn’t have seed oils. Or, you can make your own, as Bob suggested. I have had to remove all dairy from my diet since Oct 18 until the end of November (except some cheese on a pizza I made for my birthday); as well as all artificial sweeteners (removed them in June). Some people do not have reactions to either, but I seemed to be reacting to both. I had to get rid of my HWC as well, and am drinking any coffee/tea plain for now. Sometimes eliminating things helps. Not snacking between meals, as Marianne mentioned, is very important as well. cronometer.com is a free app and I found it helped me see any hidden carbs, and if she can keep them below the 20 grams and try to eliminate all dairy, artificial sweeteners and seed oils, I think she might find that it will help a lot. Some people also have stalls if they have any sort of nut or nut butters, (or peanut butter as well), so if she is using any of them, they might be something to avoid for now as well. I wish her the best, please keep us posted =).

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #5

I’d also be careful with the salsa. Depending on how much she uses (my husband uses a lot when he eats omletts) she could be getting a significant amount of carbs. Also, I second cutting out the snacking, and instead eat more at each meal.

Also, the fact that she hasn’t gained weight is a big plus :slight_smile:

Have both of you seen:

(back and doublin' down) #6

Great suggestions so far towards something that can be so frustrating and disappointing.

Two things. 1. Maybe track foods for awhile. She may not be eating enough. Maybe not getting enough fat. There’s several great apps for getting a real feel for what you are eating. I use CarbManager, nowadays just to check out certain foods or build recipes to know what I’m really creating. At one time I used it religiously every bite. 2. Be Patient! I went 10 months with NO weight loss yet my body was changing. I lost inches. I lost a full size in clothes, going from 18s to 14/16s while still in the 205-210 lb range (I’m 5’8").

Meanwhile, focus on the NSVs and KCKO! Also, stick around here. Lots of great information and supportive folks :slight_smile:

(Bunny) #7

I agree even though a person may be burning fat for fuel, it is in fact doing just that but there many many cycles it must follow before you will see it in the way of the scale especially when dealing with the estrogen molecule…lol

Some people give up before they can see the results!

As someone who has lost little weight but a reasonable amount of inches since end of February, I would highly encourage your daughter to take her measurements and then do so again in a couple of weeks, maybe changes are happening that aren’t reflected in the scale yet!

(Ellen ) #9

Omg, thank you all so much for your suggestions! I read your posts to her and she also thanks everyone. @ctviggen I explained the snacking issue. She’s going to stop that. @gingersmommy @Momof5 and @Paendora, don’t know if she’ll track. She is stubborn and doesn’t think Keto should be so “difficult”. But I’ll nag…sometimes that works. :blush:. @KetoCancerMom, I agree that something might be happening with that salsa. She said she didn’t have any today. Don’t know if she’ll measure yet @BeStill, she is pretty depressed today. She says she will eat more. I agree she may not be getting enough calories and fat. I’m going to stop and buy some fatty rib eyes later. Thank you again! At least I feel better, lol.

(Bob M) #10

It doesn’t have to be difficult. I, for one, never track anything. But I also avoid things I know I’ll overeat, like nuts, sweet things, more fat (yes, for me, I can eat a lot of fat that’s added). On the other hand, if I eat cheese, I don’t feel like eating more. Maybe that’s due to not having cheese (other than on pizza) for decades, because it had fat in it. I also avoid nut butters, and anything else that I can’t stop eating.

She needs to find what triggers her to overeat, and not eat those things if possible.

Also, it can be tough to eat two meals a day. When I look at how much I’m eating in one meal, it looks huge even to me. But then I’m not hungry – and I mean at all – for 7+ hours. (If I AM hungry, I will eat between meals; this can happen if I don’t eat enough, for instance, or if I’ve done a lot over the weekend.)

In my mind, I try to get things to be pulsatile, meaning I get a “hit” of insulin (and sometimes carbs), but then take as long of a break as I can. When I started low carb, 5+ years ago, I ate 5+ meals a day, thinking that was healthy. It took me a while – a long while – to transition to two meals a day, and sometimes one (and many times, none). But it took me 30+ years to gain weight and learn “bad” (what used to be often called “healthy”) habits, and it takes a while to undo those.

(Ellen ) #11

Okay, I’ll show her your post Bob. I also wanted to say that she isn’t diabetic. We both check blood sugar and they’re 80-100. Blood ketones now are usually around 0.5 but used to be higher in the beginning. @Momof5 , she just agreed to upload the app to track carbs. Unbelievable, didn’t think she’d go there.

(Susan) #12

That is great, please tell her we are all wishing her the best in getting things moving =).

(Ellen ) #13

Will do. You’re the best Susan

(Susan) #14

Thank you, but I feel that it is a team effort around here. We support, encourage and cheer each other on =).

(Ellen ) #15

I remember there was something different when it comes to calories in the cronometer. Should she just follow the questions the app asks?

(back and doublin' down) #16

Just ignore that part…LOL. Get enough protein, and keep carbs under 20g net and eat enough fat so there’s not hunger between meals.

Eat More Fat! ~0~ what a joy to know when I’m eating I can have all the butter and whipping cream and it doesn’t make me gain! ~0~

(Ellen ) #17

Okay. That’s making the app easier. She’s at 5% now.

(Ellen ) #18

Well I guess 5% is 5g? I’m confused as well

This is just what I was going to say. Can she see any difference in her face? Waist? Heck, even hands or legs? Chest? It doesn’t always come off where we want it to first. :wink:

All great advice above. Also tell her to keep trying, stick with it! Come here for support. If she was so thin before and rather not so much now, you are probably right that her body has a huge adjustment to make.

(Kirk Wolak) #20

First, understand that EVERY body is different. I cannot tolerate vegetables, especially nightshades. (Tomatoes, Eggplant, Peppers)… No dairy, No egg whites.

My carb limit is about 5g/day to GET INTO ketosis.

Is she measuring ketones? Morning? Evening? Does she have time to watch some YouTube Videos (Dr. Boz is great for breaking things down)

Is she willing to test her blood? (Pee stick is okay… But it tells you NOTHING). She could be releasing a TON of glucose in the AM as part of the Liver Healing Cycle. Then her weightloss will begin. She could simply be eating beyond HER carb limit.

My article on the “Levers” of weight loss explain the big levers you can use. She could be not sleeping very well. There are a lot of variables that can prevent weight loss.

HWC in coffee will do it for me. Just 2TBSP a day and I am done. I will not lose a pound. Remove that, and I start losing. Artificial sweeteners for others. Caffeine for some.

The Levers of Power (What to Measure, What to Control) to avoid stalling/stalls

IMO, the approach should be letting her test her blood, and find what works for her. For example, in the beginning, I would NOT touch artificial sweeteners. Now that I made maintenance, and had to cut down on Pork Fat (including bacon), I let them in. I am not looking to lose a lot. I just want a little something in my coffee (since HWC and Butter are a non-starter for me). It’s self limiting b/c I don’t like coffee all that much (when it is not a dessert, LOL).

But she is showing the signs of a stall. Which means she is consuming SOMETHING that is holding her back. (Read the article). She could be eating too often.

Finally, while stalling out, ALWAYS Count Total Carbs. Add Intermittent Fasting. If she can avoid eating on her non-working days (OMAD those days, no snacking). This usually fixes things. Work eating is self-limiting in many ways.

Once she gets a Keto-Mojo or something and starts testing her blood, post her morning numbers, before she puts anything in her mouth. A week of those numbers will tell us a lot.

Watching Dr. Boz talk about the problems with EATING LATE, or not getting 16,18 or more hours of fasting in, which ALWAYS improves blood ketones! (my best #s are after 5 days of fasting… Trust me! Always in ketosis then. LOL).

HTH, reach out for more!