My body is really mad... like REALLY MAD

(Kellie) #1

So I reached my goal weight and decided to splurge . Lasted longer than I thought - 2 weeks roughly yikes. Today I feel the most bloated Iv ever felt, I feel like you could take a needle and just POP ME- I swear. It’s so uncomfortable. Iv been gassy and my stomach feels sore to touch , very achey and feels
Almost bruised internally or as if I did a million sit ups (been like this for a few days ). I’m wondering if this is just my stomach not being able to or having a hard time digesting , it hasn’t been too terrible up until today. Also TMI but there is blood in my stool. Iv gone back to keto today But im wondering how long all this uncomfortableness will last, I’m kind of worried.

(Laurie) #2

I don’t have any advice, only sympathy. And gratitude–I needed to read this, and I’m sure others can learn from your experience. I hope the discomforts subsides soon.

(Kellie) #3

I don’t know how anyone could go back to carbs after keto honestly. I mean yeah it taste good but it makes you feel terrible. I’m not sure how someone is supposed to transition out.

(Mike W.) #4

Normally I’d say suck it up, but the blood in the stool would have me concerned. I’d personally see a doc.

(John) #5

Pain on the left side, lower part of the gut, about where a high-cut bikini would ride?

Fairly bright red?

If yes to both, sounds like diverticulitis*. See your doctor. If it is, you’ll need to go on a clear liquid diet for about 4 days to shut down your digestive system completely, take antibiotics for the infection, and then transition slowly into a low-residue diet.

Luckily, a clear liquid diet is similar to a broth fast, and a keto diet that skimps on the salads and greens is low residue.

(*Or diverticulosis, which is the non-acute version.)

Eh, you can eat some carbs here and there once you hit your goal weight… when you’re ready. I’d say your 2 week bender says you’re not, but that takes a while to be able to eat them without going off the rails. Took me and the wife over 2yrs before we were able to both mentally and physically eat a carb-y meal if we wanted without being punished for it. On the blood in the stool, I get that when I really piss off my system, as long as everything moves through good and your not struggling, it should self correct. If your crapping bricks, there’s your answer as to why that’s happening. If that’s not normal before the carb binge I wouldn’t worry about it unless it sticks around, then obviously go get checked.

(Carl Keller) #7

Most of the articles I’ve read on leaving ketosis suggest to not dive right back into to carbs. They suggest to reintroduce whole grains, beans, legumes, fruits, non-starchy vegetables first versus processed foods and sugar-sweetened beverages at 1 meal per day and gradually increase the amount of carbs you eat daily. This will help with GI issues.

Keep us updated Kellie. Would like to hear how you are doing.

(Brian) #8

Kellie, first of all, sorry you’re feeling bad.

The thing I never really did figure out, though, was WHAT you’ve been eating that was on the naughty list. Was it just a small sweet potato along with your normal keto type meal? Or was it total carbage on top of more carbage on top of a mountain of sugary sweets? I kinda wondered because I have had times when I’ll have a sweet potato with an otherwise fairly normal keto type meal and never know the difference, on the scale or on any kind of “symptoms”. It’s not something I do all the time or continue to do, more of an occasional thing. So other than the occasional, I haven’t tried out total carbage again and can’t really say what kind of reaction I would have. (Being honest.)

I think our bodies really do become accustomed to dealing with the foods that we feed them. Keto type eating seems to be a pretty happy place for most people’s bodies. An abrupt change from the SAD to keto created havoc in many our our bodies when we first went keto. I don’t know why we’d think doing a quick u-turn in the opposite direction (keto to SAD) wouldn’t cause a similar havoc. It might not be identical but it could still be a major shock.

Probably nothing you haven’t already thought about. Take care & hope you get to feeling better. The blood would be worrisome, though, can’t argue with that.

(Carl Keller) #9

I’m wondering if this is a simple case of hemorrhoids?

Excessive straining can contribute to hemorrhoids, the bulging of the blood vessels in your anus. Hemorrhoids sometimes bleed and are a common form of rectal bleeding. Drink more water – up to 64 oz. daily – and increase your fiber intake to reduce your symptoms

It would make some sense since keto is low fiber (high fiber is not necessary eating ketogenically I’ve heard) and suddenly you eat a bunch of carbs and have a difficult time with #2. Hemorrhoids aren’t as uncommon as one would think.

(Janelle) #10

+1

(Jane) #11

Sorry you are not feeling well. Like @Bellyman said - was it a 2-week bender? Or just a few carby meals?

I’ve never gone off on a bender either, but I do have carby meals from time to time that are planned. Way more than 20 but not sugary stuff - potatoes/pasta/bread and small quantities so I would guess around 100 carbs.

When I first started doing this I had more issues - like couldn’t get too far from the bathroom issues as my body would decide to expel that carbage all at once. I took digestive enzymes and they helped a lot so that told me I didn’t have the gut flora to digest carbs well anymore.

It has gotten better over time - not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing! LOL.

Get back on the keto horse and you will feel so much better soon!

(mole person) #12

I had it once and freaked out but it was just a bit of tearing from a hard poop. I still went to the doctor though, but she basically just asked if I’d had a hard poop, and then told me to come back if it didn’t subside soon.

Unlike most folks here, I regularly go “off plan”. Partly because I enjoy it, partly because I think it’s healthy to do so., and partly because I’m just not dogmatic.

My body continues to grow better at handling these “episodes”, which are usually not junk food binges, but deviations from my normal LC Paleo diet. A 2-4 day fast gets my body back on track with regard to GI, water retention, and GKI.

(Necromancer Live) #14

hey im sorry to barge in with a completely different topic here, my post doesnt really get answered. So im on my 5 day in keto diet/low carb and i seem to have a lot of side effects; like cough with phlegm (solved), insomnia (solved), and dysmenorrhea. so the dysmenorrhea one is what puzzled me cause i never suffer from dysmenorrhea before and what i read is people healing from dysmenorrhea after doin keto. And also this one before my menstrual blood would smell like…blood ya know like pungent and all not fishy but now my blood smell like nothing like faintly metallic at fist then the more i menstruate the fainter the smell is. is it normal? it kind of it doesnt smell at all. please help. thank you

(KCKO, KCFO) #15

I second going to the dr. blood in the stool is not normal on any kind of diet. Colon cancer runs in my family and we are very aware of needing to get clear on what is causing any bloody stools. Hope you see a dr. soon and get to feeling better.