More misleading “Healthy” meals

(Richard M) #1

Another pop up in Google
For a person that is looking to eat healthy and possibly lose weight, they would think that this is the solution to their problems. Is it misleading? Will it take them down the road to get healthier and look for better alternatives?
Obviously, the amount of carbohydrates that are consumed in one day is shocking.

And another

yikes.

if I had to follow that 7 day meal plan I would fail immediately and have a crazy fit at the same time.

wait, I have TRIED ALL THOSE healthy diet plans? What was I thinking, I did fail immediately and I did have crazy failure fit times.
Who KNEW it was the crap meal plan and not me failing myself :slight_smile:

I didn’t, til the day I did figure it all out :slight_smile:

truly sad still to see the stupid ‘dieting plans’ out there. All these decades of knowing what is right and yet it is still pushed, it is still used by many and it still fails everyone mostly. ugh
“the more things change, the more they stay the same .”
what is wrong with us humans truly? I don’t know HA

in very very small defense, 140g of carbs literally is cutting some people down in 1/2 easily on what is eaten in a day and at the same time it could be cutting down someone else way more than 300g consumed. carbs rack up fast for many :slight_smile: and they did say in a small way again, NO added sugar in that they aren’t using sugar added products but in the end, just fluff to confuse kinda.

Oh my.

By the way, I have no knowledge about sugar boosting energy, it’s a debunked myth even regarding children as far as I know… Of course, it may work for someone and it’s a very different thing in high activity (not like I ever did that) but… I don’t know… I am a human. Homo sapiens. My evolution ensures that I don’t need to eat all day to avoid my BS becoming too low… It’s not how a healthy human works…

I looked at the meal plan, it’s absolutely horrible for me and my SO alike :smiley: This alone isn’t their fault, we are all different, obviously no meal plan is even remotely okay (be it about health, satiation, energy or satisfaction, they fail me at all at once, good job :D) for everyone.
But the very stupid idea that everyone must eat small meals frequently… Some of those being super tiny (perfect to make my SO or me hungry at ANY time. we may be perfectly satiated in the next 6-8 hours without anything but eating them results in irresistible hunger)…?

Nothing boost my energy but at least I want to get satiated at least ONCE in the whole day, thank you very much (and it better last long). These meals can’t do that.

I must say the articles say good things too. There are good points but if they try to force people to eat healthily with such things, I don’t wonder it won’t be successful in the cases of people who simply need something completely different… Like, proper sized meals. My SO is fine with fruity oatmeal for breakfast. He is vain and gain fat easily (he almost never does it but it’s because he is careful) so it’s only a 1000 kcal one nowadays, it was 1200 in the past. He even lost fat at a steady pace with it when he skipped dinner. Some people NEED bigger meals. Hey, some people don’t even have a lunch break at the ideal time but that’s another matter. He eats the same sized breakfast when he is at home and can eat any time.
Meanwhile my ideal breakfast is simple, nothing. Absolutely nothing. Anything else and I will overeat while being hungry too much.

Timing and mealsize is VERY individual. Of course, what we eat, that too.

So it’s so so so very TIRING (and sad if I think about all the people who can be influenced by it. I always was pretty immune. I only thought vegs and fruits are good but it changed nothing as I LOVED eating them anyway. maybe I would have eaten worse things without them. but maybe not. when I took them out - mostly, they are just too lovely -, it solved many problems. I can’t not overeat with vegs) to see these old generalizations everywhere. Yeah, it’s a theory that many small meals and lots of fiber etc. helps if health and fat-loss is our goal, it’s even true for SOME people… But we aren’t so much alike. And people act like this would be the One Only Way and we don’t following it would do something wrong.
:rage:

I never can resist when it’s criticizing meal plans but it goes nowhere… :frowning:

Yes, the meal plans aren’t super carby but it’s because they focus on protein surprisingly well, add some fat too and the calorie isn’t high. But the percentage of carbs are super high compared to what we ever had in my household. (Because we eat fat like no tomorrow, well I try not to and fail…) It would horribly bother even my SO who is thriving on high-carb and gladly eats cake for breakfast (and for any other meals but not exclusively. just cake, that’s breakfast and the rare small dinners).
I don’t find it good to bump people’s carb percentage in the name of health and energy, they should at least talk about the people who DON’T eat several hundreds of carbs, it would be something NEW. I understand they focus on the average person but still.

(Richard M) #4

That is so true. If I stopped to think about how many carbs I consumed before KETO I imagine it would have been close to 300 a day. Very scary thought, but an uneducated realization of thinking I was going to lose weight.

300g carbs a day is kind of modest, many on HCLF surely eat way more for energy…
Both my SO and I could pull it off with 300g carbs I suppose (I rarely tracked our intake) but only because our main energy source was/is fat (he has different days sometimes but fat is always high).
I know 300g carbs seem much, even 100g seem much to me but there are way bigger intake numbers…
I don’t even consider 1000g carbs a problem if one finds they need it to function properly (IDK if it exists but most likely). Just because 40g is much for me longer term, people drastically different from me exist.

Of course people lose fat with 300g carbs too. I couldn’t because 300g carbs meant I had to eat, like, 200g fat as well :smiley: And my energy need was smallish to begin with. (But carbs never seemed to keep me from fat-loss as long as I ate little enough. It’s a very tough combo for me but once it happened easily, it was still low-carb though but not keto.) I never was good at the low-fat business (never even tried as I never got the memo that high-fat would be bad) but whenever my carbs went higher, the fat did the same to mitigate my problems :smiley: I pretty much love fat. Too much I fear. I try to minimize it but it just finds its way to my life in bigger amounts…

(sara) #6

I am afraid, such products have robbed the faith of consumers, even from the products that work.

(Megan) #7

I love the mid-morning and midafternoon snacks! We must keep that insulin high throughout the day!

I put my age, height, weight etc into the USDA’s calculator listed in the 1st article. It told me I should be eating 257 - 371 grams of carbohydrate every day. I knew I was doing something wrong eating carnivore! Glad to finally find out what it is. :crazy_face:

I’d say there’s nothing shocking about those, they are lower sugar vs normal eating, I know people love yelling into the echo chamber, but anybody that went from typical SAD to those would absolutely have huge improvements.

Can’t look at everything though the lens of Keto, because we’re the 1%. Not everybody has to be on the outward extreme to improve their health, lose fat and live longer.

(KM) #9

I’ve been reading a lot of Gary Taubes lately and he made a point that is obvious in retrospect. If you (‘you’ being the average person eating a SAD diet) embark on a calorie limiting diet, you are almost certainly embarking on a reduced carbohydrate diet even if you don’t think of it that way, or even if the diet is touted as being low fat. Especially given the very high carb content of the average 3000 calorie a day intake, combined with the fact that pretty much every diet cuts out things like ice cream and cake and sugared soda,
“junk food”, the number of carbs will drop drastically even if your new 1500 calorie a day diet is not specifically carb limiting. It is likely that reducing the carbs (not the calories) is what causes nearly every diet to succeed in the short term.

I don’t think it’s that simple but it may be an important factor. I am pretty sure that just cutting fat may easily lead to fat-loss (as long as the one in question still can stay satiated… it’s individual. I badly need cutting carbs in order to lower my fat intake but carbs make me hungry or compel me to eat despite satiation while they satiate and satisfy many people just fine). We know that HCLF is often effective for fat-loss, the HCHF is the tricky one (but people slim down with that too, probably just a lucky minority. I never could do that or just with extreme rules like eating once every second day and/or exercising a lot).

But cutting out carbs and especially sugars? That is a very great step so you have a good point I think. And even lots of fat might get cut off from the diet when saying no to tempting, fatty-sugary sweets… (A “proper” cake is insanely fatty.) It depends a lot on the original diet (the average Hungarian eats very fatty*, there is plenty of room to lower fat) and what one replaces the missing treats with (if they do. I surely would feel a void).

*It’s actually okay, statistically, it would work well without high-carb. But there are tons of carbs too and it results in the current situation with many overweight and obese people.

(Chuck) #11

I went from close to 300 carbs per day to under 50 carbs over night. Yes it took me about a week to get over the shock effects of it but now after just over 5 months I am so glad that I did.