Money and KETO

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #41

That’s why I stick with the people whose lectures provide citations that I can check out.

(traci simpson) #42

I did not know that!!! I don’t listen to him however, his wife has a you tube video on how to make cauliflower flat bread that is so good!!!

(Katie) #43

Here is a switch up on this theme.

Ophra Winfrey owns the media Corp that got Dr Oz on the TV…also keeps his program running,

So… Dr Oz comes out taking about his “study” that “proves” that keto causes heart afib. Now…there is NO peer review of this study. It is published NOWHERE. It was supposedly a questionairy (which is the least reliable data). But…all that aside…

Since 2016 WeightWatchers stock and been tanking! Tracking down in the same proportion as keto popularity has grow. (Cause and effect?). Guess who owns a huge hunk of weight Watcher? Ophra

Money and keto. Hey…money vs public good? Money wins.

(traci simpson) #44

EXACTLY!!! And she owns the Dr. Phil show.

(Jennifer) #45

Confession time… While I am super interested in Oprah’s story (which is VERY interesting), I’m not a huge fan of hers. I cannot stand Dr. Oz. However… I do love me some Dr. Phil. I even listen to his podcast. #shame :rofl::rofl::rofl:

(traci simpson) #46

When I was unemployed, I would watch Dr. Oz religiously, but then I started to really listen to him and I started to question his opinions so now I don’t watch at all. Dr. Phil, I can take or leave. Oprah, not a fan.

That should not rub you the wrong way. It’s not a free country since we all have to pay to live. Maybe he should just quit sharing on YouTube, would that be better? Using Patreon is VOLUNTARY so you should not be bothered by that? I have used Patreon to support what people were doing and when I decide they are not delivering as promised I stop supporting them. Doing Youtube is a lot of work and investment and people deserve what they can get from it. That does not make it there only motivation for being on Youtube but it is what sustains them on it or they would burn out and quit.

(traci simpson) #48

I can feel however I want to feel and you can feel however you want to feel.

(Chris) #49

Eh. We live in a capitalist society and people are going to play that game to make money any way they can. More power to them.

Here’s what’s important: You can take back your health and accomplish your goals without spending a dime on their stuff.

You can cook meat without the carnivore cookbook. You can fast without fasting drops. There’s more content available for free all over the world that you can easily access without opening your wallet. I’ve had tremendous success and I haven’t given one of these people a dime. Not that some of them don’t deserve it, I’m just on a budget right now and can’t spare it.

Don’t let some carrot dangle get you down. You don’t need zoodles that bad.

(mole person) #50

What @Dread1840 said. I’ve gotten 100% of the way to goal without a single product purchase. I’ve never even bought MCT oil or a low carb bar. JUST WHOLE FOODS.

I go to the store and buy the fattiest whole meat that I can find at a good price. I shop sales. I avoid all carbs. Repeat. As long as I stick to this I remain trim and feel wonderful.

(hottie turned hag) #51

Ditto. Except am still not quite at goal (100lbs).

Suckers born every minute and I can’t blame folk who are smart enough to make money off them.

(John) #52

Agreed - you do have to work to sort out the people who are trying to make a fair compensation for providing information or a service, versus those trying to profit by jumping on a bandwagon.

I think I have only made three purchases since starting down this path that ended up being money not well spent, and all of those are my fault.

1. A jar of coconut oil. I tried it in cooking. Would be good for a dish that I wanted to have a coconut flavor imparted. It is about 70% unused, still sitting on the shelf.

2. An Instant Pot. Great gizmo, only used once. Not really an indictment of the Instant Pot, just my lack of ambition to cook.

3. A keto cookbook. Some good ideas, great recipes, and good background information on low-carb diets from the author, but again, in general I am too lazy to cook that much. If I can fry it in a skillet, that’s about as far as I get.

All of the information needed is freely available. The only money that MUST be spent is on purchasing the right kinds of foods at the grocery store. And few of them are packaged. They are found in the produce, meat, and dairy sections.

I have never purchased MCT oil or any special keto supplements, or “keto”-labeled foods.

I have had to shift my grocery shopping to different foods than I used to buy, and some of those are more expensive foods by volume.

A mostly grain-based diet can certainly be cheaper than a mostly vegetable and meat based diet. Oats, rice, wheat flour are really inexpensive.

I still think overall I am probably spending less on food and other consumables, when looked at in total. I never put money in a vending machine now, versus maybe $4 - $6 a day for soft drinks, chips, and candy that I would have nibbled on at work.

I don’t do drive-through fast food often (almost never, now), whereas before it would have been multiple times a week at $4 to $8 a pop.

I do still eat out once or twice a week, but I’m not ordering appetizers or desserts, or beer :cry:, and my beverage choice is usually water with a lemon wedge, so overall meal costs are probably lower.

You know, I got so much totally free information from DietDoctor.com when I first started, and still refer back there often, I should go subscribe just as a “tip” to say “thanks for helping me lose 100 pounds.”

Back when Phen-fen was the big thing, I paid plenty, both to a doctor’s clinic where I went every month, and for the prescriptions themselves. Now THAT was an expensive racket. It worked, sure, but adopting a ketogenic / low-carb diet has worked MUCH BETTER in a shorter period of time.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #53

It’s cheaper in the short-term, but as you note in your post, I find that my grocery budget nowadays works out to being somewhat cheaper overall, despite the more-expensive items I buy. Also, let’s not forget the long-term savings in health-care costs, the beneifit of not losing toes and other body parts, etc.

(Katie) #54

One expense that has gone up faster than it used to: clothing

I was go up in size about one full size every couple years. Now I am going down in size every couple months. I can hardly keep anything on my body.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #55

Me too, Katie. And it’s not necessarily the size change, which is part of it, it’s that I want to try all the clothes now that I feel like I look good in them!

(Katie) #56

PETA…I am totally resisting any new clothes. I am hanging my current size 12 on my body with cords (my belts don’t have that many holes).

I keep telling myself that until I look good, nothing will look good on me.

But…once I am down to size 8 there isn’t anything short of suspenders going to hold my size 12s up…I’ll have to breakdown and get something smaller.

(Susan) #57

All the pants that I have worn for the past 20 years or more have been elastic waisted with no belts, no zippers,no buttons,etc. I have lost 43 pounds so far, and have been wearing the same pants. I have got into two more pairs that were too tight, but I have a bunch of clothes that will fit me at 100 pounds or more less then what I am atm. I have 130 more to lose, so this should work out well.

Me too except I did buy some MCT oil at first but I don’t use it much any more. I prefer whole coconut oil in my coffee. I’m to the point now that I can’t lose much more weight without being down right skinny and I was unable to do that for the 8 previous years. If my calculations are correct I’m down to about 11% body fat. I will have another lipid test when I feel my weight has been stable over a period of time.

(traci simpson) #59

I spend more but I eat less so it balances out.

(stevehayes) #60

Thank you for your comments, it was very interesting to read them. I also noticed that useful information has become paid. That’s why I use various forums because there you can get a lot of useful tips for free. And I admit that I am happy to be useful to someone. And if we talk about additional income, I recommend learning more about retail arbitrage. If you are good at sales, then I believe that this is exactly what you need. I really want to achieve good results in this business and then I will not have financial problems. People are always buying something, even in the most difficult times.